Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

3 followers Follow

[OPEN] Rekordbox modifying wav files

I'm using Rekordbox 2.2.0 on a Windows 7 computer. Over the last few months I've been slowly importing my music (all WAV files) and entering the appropriate info such as artist, title, comments, etc. From what I understand Rekordbox does not modify the files, this has been consistent with what I've seen the last few months. Tracks were not modified when looking at the details in the Windows File Folder.

Earlier today, I started to edit some comments and put new comments into tracks that did not contain them. The tracks that were edited now show as being modified in the Windows File Folder. This did not happen before. Is Rekordbox now modifying my music files? I'm a bit worried, because I know the Mixed in Key program would enter data into the id3 tags of wav files. This would essentially corrupt the wav file for use on a Windows based computer as it throws Windows into a loop trying which uses 100% of the cpu resources.

jon

Please sign in to leave a comment.

3 comments

WAVs can contain metadata (although there is no official list of tags). What rekordbox writes to the footer (lead-out) section of the track is the additional information you enter into the fields of the database. Here's a sample of what it wrote when I added comments, the genre and an album to a track that already contained information for the title and artist (which was contained in the header):

ID3 .ID3$COMMXXXThese are my commentsTCONDanceTALBSuper Funky Album

This will not corrupt your WAV file as it is lead-in / lead-out data. Mixed-in-Key won't damage your files either. All this does is provide data that rekordbox could call from directly off the file rather than needing you to input it solely to the database.

Although, interestingly, I removed and re-added my sample track and all but the comment remained... it could be due to the fact the track already had comment data contained in the header and thus prioritized that information rather than the data I added after. This is a perfect example of the problem with there not being any standards for WAV file metadata. Consider using AIFFs where possible!

Pulse 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

so is there any way of rekordbox recognising the MiK key tags on my wav files in rekordbox software?

jack wade 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink