Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

4 followers Follow

A few questions about Rekordbox 3

I am a newbie. I pre-ordered an XDJ-RX. I started messing around with Rekordbox 3 and I have a few questions.

1) Are playlists the only way to transfer songs from Rekordbox to USB stick? And, I believe it said playlists were limited to 1,000 songs per playlist. So, in order to get my 7,200-song collection onto my 128gb Flash drive, I would have to create a bunch of playlists? I guess I could do it alphabetically and create playlists A, B, C, D etc...Is there a limit on number of playlists I can create?

2) Is there a way to remove playlists & songs from USB stick via Rekordbox? I created a temporary playlist in Rekordbox and transferred it to the flash drive and that worked great. Then, I wanted that playlist & songs gone, so I un-checked the playlist  through Rekordbox to "un-sync" that playlist. I looked at the flash drive and the songs in that playlist still show up in "contents". I thought the sync button would remove them, but it didn't. Do I have to remove the songs manually if I don't want them on the flash drive?

3) I also noticed that when setting cue points, Rekordbox wouldn't let me put a cue exactly where I wanted it. It would move it to where it felt the beat started. Traktor does it the same way. I prefer Serato DJ in that it allows you to mark a cue exactly where you want it and it keeps it there, doesn't move it like Traktor & Rekordbox. Is there a way I can move a cue point to where I want it?

Thanks for any help.

Mike Sinclair

Please sign in to leave a comment.

17 comments

hi mike, to answer point 3, yes you can set a cue anywhere. you need to turn off quantise in rekordbox as this is the thing that snaps your cues to the beats.

Phil 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Phil, awesome, thanks. If anyone has input on my other questions, I appreciate it.

Mike Sinclair 0 votes

1) Are playlists the only way to transfer songs from Rekordbox to USB stick? And, I believe it said playlists were limited to 1,000 songs per playlist. So, in order to get my 7,200-song collection onto my 128gb Flash drive, I would have to create a bunch of playlists? I guess I could do it alphabetically and create playlists A, B, C, D etc...Is there a limit on number of playlists I can create?

you can export your main "collection" in RB to a USB drive, highlight all, right click and export

2) Is there a way to remove playlists & songs from USB stick via Rekordbox? I created a temporary playlist in Rekordbox and transferred it to the flash drive and that worked great. Then, I wanted that playlist & songs gone, so I un-checked the playlist  through Rekordbox to "un-sync" that playlist. I looked at the flash drive and the songs in that playlist still show up in "contents". I thought the sync button would remove them, but it didn't. Do I have to remove the songs manually if I don't want them on the flash drive?

right click on the playlist on the flash drive and delete playlist 

3) I also noticed that when setting cue points, Rekordbox wouldn't let me put a cue exactly where I wanted it. It would move it to where it felt the beat started. Traktor does it the same way. I prefer Serato DJ in that it allows you to mark a cue exactly where you want it and it keeps it there, doesn't move it like Traktor & Rekordbox. Is there a way I can move a cue point to where I want it?

answered above

BriChi 0 votes

you can export your main "collection" in RB to a USB drive, highlight all, right click and export

*Thanks. I'll give this a shot tonight (at day job now). If I do that, will RB still access those songs in its search features on the XDJ? Or are the search functions only for playlists?

right click on the playlist on the flash drive and delete playlist

Where would I do this? In RB itself? The only place I saw the flash drive in RB is in the "sync window" or whatever it's called. Thanks a lot for your replies.

Mike Sinclair 0 votes

*Thanks. I'll give this a shot tonight (at day job now). If I do that, will RB still access those songs in its search features on the XDJ? Or are the search functions only for playlists?

yes, the search feature searches the collection, not the playlist

Where would I do this? In RB itself? The only place I saw the flash drive in RB is in the "sync window" or whatever it's called. Thanks a lot for your replies.

in RB, attached a pic of where your flash drive "device" shows up

BriChi 0 votes

Awesome. One more question and I think I'm good... I see in RB, under info that you can add a "color" tag to songs. On the unit itself (XDJ-RX) will I be able to search for color tags? In other words, is "color" a search parameter like "artist" or "genre" etc... sorry I can't test it out yet. The unit is at least a month out. Thanks again!

Mike Sinclair 0 votes

oops, I lied... one more question: I understand when I set cue points on the device, that I can transfer those back through RB. What if I set cue points, or color tags etc... in Rekordbox and I want to update my flash drive for the unit (just add the new info, not transfer the whole library again), is there an easy way to do that?

Mike Sinclair 0 votes

the colors cannot be searched but they can be sorted, for example I use colors a lot and when I get into a playlist i hit MENU, SORT, COLOR, and select the named color like "open main room" dance tracks

setup the USB sync manger, any changed you make in RB will be synced to the usb drive when you plug it in and click on it. The changes you make on the flash drive live while playing can be synced back to RB by choosing "Update collection" when you right click on the flash drive in RB or you can open up the sync maker and hit the left point arrow that says "cue grid info"

BriChi 0 votes

If I color-tag songs but do not put them in a playlist, can I still sort colors in the entire collection? Or, do they have to be in a playlist to use the "Menu, Sort, Color" option? Thanks for all your help, BriChi

Mike Sinclair 0 votes

yes, I believe you can set the category in RB on the flash drive to be able to sort by color in the MAIN collection as well as when you are in a playlist

keep in mind I am speaking based on what I do on a CDJ2000 Nexus, the RX may differ but I would assume they left the menu all the same between the two players

BriChi 0 votes

Is there a limit to number of files can be exported to a usb device that the XDJ RX can manage? The manual mentions 10,000 but I'm assuming this is just straight files stored on a usb drive and if you use a Rekordbox library you can use more?

Darrell 0 votes

That's a grey-area which I will confirm. I have always assumed there is no limitation to the database when it is computer-based but I'll verify with the engineers.

Pulse 0 votes

That's great thanks - really looking forward to getting new unit!!!

Also, where can you buy those glowing Rekordbox/Pioneer USB keys in UK???? I've tried everywhere!!

Darrell 0 votes

From what I was told, they were sold out, but to be perfectly honest, you can find better quality / higher speed flash drives online for far less money ... they just don't look as cool. ;)

Pulse 0 votes

Indeed, it was more the cool look in the video and to be honest I'll probably use hard drive anyway. Is there a list of preferred drives, memory sticks published anywhere that Pioneer recommend for XDJ units? Assume SSD drives would be fine as long as formatted to FAT 32?

Any luck on question regarding maximum number of tracks on a Rekordbox indexed device for XDJ yet?

Cheers
Darrell

Darrell 0 votes

@Darrell > The XDJ units vary in their ability, the information I'm waiting on is whether there is a limitation when using rekordbox on the computer as a source. The limitations when using a USB device are:

XDJ-R1: 

When using rekordbox: 

Max number of tracks per PLAYLIST: 1000 

Max total number of tracks: 10000

Without using rekordbox: 999 per folder.

XDJ-RX 

When using rekordbox: 

Max number of tracks per PLAYLIST: 1000 

Max total number of tracks: as much as the capacity of the device. However, the performance of the navigation is related to the number of tracks stored in the library; large libraries will exhibit some lag when navigating.

Without using rekordbox: as much as the capacity of the device. However, only up to 10000 tracks can be displayed in one folder. 

Pulse 0 votes

Engineers have informed me that the limits are the same when using the rekordbox program on your computer to link to the player as when you have a USB device; the limitation is based on the player itself.

Pulse 0 votes