Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

8 followers Follow

Max of 1000 tracks per playlist - Intelligent Playlists

How annoying I've had this warning when trying to export my collection including newly set up smart playlists. Most have 1000 plus. Anyone got a solution to this?

Richie Barthez

Post is closed for comments.

27 comments

nope, has to be 1000 or less in each playlist or anything after the 1000th track won't export.

BriChi 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Wish there a warning before you went to export the whole lot to an external HD :-( I'm trying to think of a solution. I love the fact it auto adds like iTunes. Gonna have to split down my genre's more.

@BriChi just out of interest what do you do once a genre exceeds 1000 tracks?  

Richie Barthez 0 votes

I don't use smart lists being they act weird on CDJ's and stay at the top of my playlist vs alphabetical order like they should. In regular playlists, i don't believe i have went passed around 700 so i have never had an issue

the tracks are numbered in a playlist so you can see how many are in it, also when you click on a playlist, once highly, they track count and time shows up on the bottom right of the screen so there are several ways to see if you have exceeded 1000 before the export

BriChi 0 votes

Yeah most of my intelligent playlists are over 1000 but I wasn't aware this would be a problem until the export stage. I only set them up today for the first time. Usually I have a genre folder with a breakdown by artists inside then a misc list for random bits. I like the idea of intelligent lists because everything gets added automatically. Also sometimes when scrolling through it you might come across a track you hadn't thought about.  

Richie Barthez 0 votes

I love the idea of intel playlists, I just wish they showed up properly on CDJ's, it was so annoying for the few I had so i deleted them and just made them normal playlists

BriChi 0 votes

Am I right in assuming that my normal 'Misc' playlists can't exceed 1000 when exporting to a USB device either? I haven't tried option that yet. 

Richie Barthez 0 votes

Looks like I need to go back to my old way of categorising everything then :-( Thanks for your help! 

Richie Barthez 0 votes

Sorry guys, it's a limitation that can not be changed. My recommendation would be to use other sort options to narrow things down to that point.

Pulse 0 votes

"Brichi: I don't use smart lists being they act weird on CDJ's and stay at the top of my playlist vs alphabetical order like they should. In regular playlists, i don't believe i have went passed around 700 so i have never had an issue"Pulse can that change?

Anastasio 0 votes

They export Intelligent first, then Normal second. You can manually reorder them on your export device before ejecting and they display on the CDJ in the same order.

Pulse 0 votes

Pulse, the problem is the cdj is not displaying in the right order. I have my lists all set to display in alphabetical order but it always displays the Intel lists first at the top and then regular lists after. I reported this bug a long time ago and it was never fixed

BriChi 0 votes

if you export them to a usb drive it turns them into a normal playlist and it displays in proper order but if you are linked to a laptop and you look pn the CDJ, the intel lists are always first and then the rest are under no matter how you try and sort

I made 2 test INTEL lists, once called "good club" and the other "MJ" and sorted them alphabetically in my playlist are. You can see in pic 1, connected to RB on my laptop, The 2 intel lists are first even though they should be sorted in the G and M parts of the playlists but in pic 2, the usb drive, you don't see them in the pic because they are sorted properly as they should because they are playlists now, not intel lists

also if you update an intel list and then plug a USB drive in to sync it, it hangs on "checking playlists" for a long time, These issues have stopped some people from using them, its a shame because its a great feature, just buggy still

BriChi 0 votes

I don't know how you have them sorted in rekordbox, because I can tell you that mine export in the same order I arrange them within the software:

Screen_Shot_2015-02-22_at_2.16.33_PM.png   Playlists.jpg

Pulse 0 votes

you're right, you missed a part of what I posted, they export fine, the issue is when you are using your laptop linked to the CDJ's

BriChi 0 votes

Gotcha. I see that now, and the funny thing is it maintains the alpha order, but puts intelligent lists at the top.

Not the end of the world as you can still see them from within the software in the right order (and load them from there), and at least exported lists are in the right order, but I'll send the info to the engineers.

Pulse 0 votes

The engineers are working to resolve the intelligent playlist issue!

Pulse 1 vote

Please, please please please make the future of rekordbox software/hardware support more than 1000 tracks per playlist. I truly hope this is a high priority.

Matt Davis 0 votes

They are aware of the demand for larger playlists, but we don't have any information on whether or not we'll see this incorporated any time soon. Sorry!

Pulse 0 votes

The 1000 limit is still annoying. Any update on that matter?

Thomas Peiniau 0 votes

:( hours exporting and here comes the 1000 track limit msg :(  nicee!

shaun goldsmith 0 votes

I'm logging another request for this feature. Please communicate it to your product/engineering team.

I've been exporting my 350GB+ library to a Patriot 512GB USB for literally days now and I've hit the 1k track limit message twice so far. Once this first sync is complete (I'm estimating in 7-10 days from now), I will have to go back through my iTunes Smart Playlists and find a way to break them into multiple smart playlists that don't contain more than 1k tracks, then re-sync.

Overall, my first experience with Rekordbox sync manager has not been great, for a few reasons, but specifically allowing playlists to contain more than 1k tracks feels like an obvious feature to add.

Why has it not been prioritized for development after so many years of users reporting a painful experience when encountering this limit? At a minimum, can't you raise the limit a little higher, to 2k, 3k, or 5k? Thanks for your time and consideration.

My full USB drive details: Patriot 512GB Supersonic Rage 2 Series USB 3.0/3.1 Gen 1 Flash Drive with Up to 400MB/sec Read, 300MB/s Write (PEF512GSR2USB)

Christopher Davis -1 votes

@Christopher > We are aware of the request (it's on the list), but there is no timeline for its implementation. Thanks for your feedback.

Pulse 0 votes