Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

1 follower Follow

Is it possible to install multiple instances of Rekordbox (same PC)

Hi, I'm due to start a new residency at a bar with a view i'll be playing a few different genres etc.

As a vinyl DJ "embracing" technology I've spent many months transferring my record collections to MP3 and then audio cd's (still have the mp3s thank goodness).

I am going to be to buying the XDJ-RX and thus will use Rekordbox. Having seen it in action playing out on cdk2000s I was impressed but on closer inspection of the software the limitations to playlist and overal file amounts worry me.

If I was a 1 genre DJ then it would be of little issue but with this residency I'll be playing Garage, House, and Club Classics etc as you can imagine 15 years of DJing my MP3 collection fills up a few 2TB and 3TB hard drives now. Not to mention the 2 x 3tbs full of DnB lol.

It would be great if I could install several instances of ReKordBox each for its own specific genre. Could I simply change the install paths for each install suchs /reckordbox_garage and /reckordbox_house as examples?

This way if collections exceed 10,000 tracks I can split them up further such as /reckordbox_funkyhouse and reckordbox_deephouse and so on.

I can then have specific USB sticks or HDDs to export each install too respectfully.

Thanks you very much. :)

David Hicks

Please sign in to leave a comment.

7 comments

You probably could, but why bother? You can have as many tracks within rekordbox as you want, it's the export that makes the difference. Simply export to a max of 10K tracks per device and away you go.

Pulse 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Ah right. Thank you pulse. The way I read it was that it was an overal limit of 10k not specifically 10k device on the export/device etc. Thank you for clearing that up.

:) Also thanks for your review on the xdj-rx (i'm sure it was you)

David Hicks 0 votes

@David > The only other thing to note is the limitation also exists if you are linking rekordbox via ethernet. If you really did want to create separate databases, you can do that without creating multiple installations. Simply store the database on an external drive ( following my instructions), then load it up as needed. 

Pulse 0 votes

Ah right. So to break this down... say we i'm sorting house.

All house tracks on the external drive and make the database on that external drive.... how would playlists then work?

Would I be able to create playlists and they stay on that drive or would I then be exporting to yet another external or usb?

or by having the database and the files analyized would they effectively work ok with no playlists needed on the xdj-rx or cdjs etc. ?

sorry to take it to more basic levels but trying to decide how best to arrange and organise my stuff so i can use it properly but still have all my tracks etc.

David Hicks 0 votes

The way rekordbox works is you require an export drive no matter what. You can make it to the same drive, you can make it a different device altogether. If you use the SAME drive, you'll need to have enough space to accommodate the tracks you export as they "duplicate" upon export.

If you have one hard drive full of house music, it can have its own database complete with its own playlists. Switching to another hard drive full of your garage music, you could then load the garage database (stored on the same drive as the music for ease-of-use), and it would load all of the playlists from that database.

Don't worry about asking the questions -- I totally understand what you're trying to do and avoid the headaches of having to re-do it all later! Ask away. :)

My recommendation would be as follows (making assumptions):

If you have all of your music on ONE source drive, create one rekordbox library (database) and import ALL of your music there, creating playlists as desired (max 1000 tracks per list), then export a maximum of 10,000 songs to a different USB drive and label it per the genre you're going to use on that drive.

Pulse 0 votes

Yes thats a Good Idea... I need to see which hdds to buy in order to accomodate each 10k bundle so to speak. It should be about 400gb so will invest in some portable 500gb drives.

As I play out more I can narrow down the unused tracks and build on those that are used.

Thanks again!

David Hicks 0 votes

With 320k compressed MP3s you would be able to get 10K files into a 250 or 320GB drive. WAV or AIFF would require a bit more, but then again, with the changes in technology you might not find too many conventional 250 / 320GB drives on the market these days!

Pulse 0 votes