Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

9 followers Follow

Rekordbox 3.0 Feedback

Since I had a lot of complaints usually I want to at least adresse my joy on the new software

I only use it for preparing USB Sticks.

I really love that I am able to browse my USB Stick without almost crashing Rekordbox, it works pretty fluently right now.

In general I am really happy with the new rekordbox!

Thank you!

EpikureeR

Please sign in to leave a comment.

22 comments

3.0 is awesome!!!!! a few small issues to iron out but overall I love it!

BriChi 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

This RB 3 so far is all it should have been to start with 5 years ago! I so far am one happy camper!! Back when I first used it and saw the "powered by mix vibes" logo told it would be crap....

Now its spot on. Pioneer listened to all our complaints....and fixed it. Even if it did take one and a half time of two gen of players...Im sold now.

Cant wait for nexus mk2 players to incorporate the new coloured wave forms ect....or even a firmware update...but I reckon it will be new players some time next september we get this...all speculation I know :)

For the first time in almost two years I feel the software gives my nxs set up the power they need to perform from preped play lists!

Is it just me....or does rmx 1000 seem to pick up the players bpm better now....placebo effect probably haha!

Any way.....loving it!

At last!

pulsator 0 votes

great update, totally love it. fixed all the issues and slow-downs i had before:)

Mateusz Kasprzak 0 votes

My advice- don't use Sync Manager if you heavily depend on exporting to an external HDD/SD Card/USB device... after organizing your playlists, close rekordbox 3.0, then open 2.2.4 or whatever previous version you have and use that Syncronize Playlist featuer- Sync Manager has a few issues that might delete playlists on rekordbox if not found on the external device. 

Otherwise 99% of rekordbox 3.0 is fantastic!! :D

maDJam 0 votes

maDJam, that's an interesting information. I use rekordbox only for putting the music on the USB sticks, I do all the rest in Traktor/keyfinder/rekordbuddy. So you are saying that the only function that I need doesn't work properly...sweet!!!

Seems like I will stick to my old rb 2 for another while....

Julia O 0 votes

Julia, the Sync manager for me anyway is VERY slow if you have a lot of tracks and playlists

for example, i have 30k tracks organized in 150 playlists broken down into about 30 folders. Whenever i hit "sync" it sits at "checking playlists" for almost 1.5 minutes before the sync actually starts so if you were to update 1 cue and want to sync it, its time consuming now vs 2.2.4 where it literally took 3 seconds to do this same step

BriChi 0 votes

Seems that "Playlist including this track" has been removed, when right-clicking on a track?

A very useful feature when having the same track in several different playlists.

That is the only reason alone why I still have RB 2.2 installed.

Except for that, the 3.0 has all the features I've been longing for!

DJ Lavoro 0 votes

its still in 3.0, they made it easer by putting it at the top of the song are in a drop down box like in the pic I attached

BriChi 0 votes

Maybe Pioneer should add text to the right of that arrow so people know it still exists like in the pic

BriChi 0 votes

I've been using rekordbox since before it even had the LINK support and currently I'm still on 2.2 which has been working for me without any glitches. Looking at the 3.0 and while I presume the underlying code has been revamped for faster performance and better reliability, I don't really see any groundbreaking features. Helpful (for some), but not groundbreaking. Color waveform? Kind of useless for live performance. 128.00 bpm, really? It's like a weatherman telling us it will be 78.39 degrees today. At least put in an option of rounding it off to the nearest whole. The artwork does not show up next to the track in the playlist, though it does show up in the player; what am I missing? Other new features are nice, but not indispensable. Why not add some features that will improve the LIVE performance aspect such as an on-screen traffic light system for instance? (correct me if I'm wrong, the current traffic light system works only when browsing through the player, not when using your laptop with LINK). Or how about being able to assign colors or artwork to playlists to easier distinguish them or find them quicker, which would be very helpful for those managing large amount of playlists (right clicking on the playlist list an option to "add artwork", but it doesn't seem to do anything to the playlist or the files). The interface has evolved for the better though it seems a bit more cluttered with all the additional options, so something to get used to I guess. I realize various DJs utilize different workflows and require different features, and it's rather impossible for any software to please the end user 100%, but more customization options definitely would not hurt. Great progress, still not perfect though.

kooba 0 votes

julia - you should check out the the beat grid analysis in rekorbox 3 - it's actually better/more accurate than traktor from my tests this week. 

like you, i used to use traktor for analysis and rekordbuddy but not from now on. the accuracy is amazing and incredibly fast (8 simultaneously using multicore). i really recommend that you give it a try!

Phil 0 votes

if it has problems syncing with USB devices then it's definitely not for me, it's the only reason why I use it.

what about key detection? is it still using keyfinder's algorithm?

Julia O 0 votes

Are you saying its worth reanalysing our whole collection again in rb3?

cdjbasile 0 votes

@cdjbasile - it depends how accurate your grids are. if you've manually adjusted them, added loads of cue points etc i wouldn't bother. test it out for yourself with a bunch of new tunes. i was very critical of the old analysis algorithm but this new one is bang on the money.

@julia - i don't think there's a problem with syncing usb devices, i haven't had any issues. brichi mentions that it's a bit slow if you have a massive collection and hundreds of playlists. no idea on the key detection, i haven't tested it as i have MIK.

Phil 0 votes

@Julia, Exactly what Phil said, the sync issue is due to large libraries, lots of playlists and folders. If you are just syncing a few playlists you will be fine

BriChi 0 votes

just found that you can phase analyzing tracks too if you needed to save CPU to work on other things in RB, cool added feature

BriChi 0 votes

Okay, I had a try with the 3.0 and here's my result, I had a look only at analyzing the files. I tested a playlist of 18 files, all of them are recent deep house, so they all have a steady electronic beat:

1. speed: it seems better than before but it does not analyze the key automatically so in the end if you don't do key analysis externally you have to run a key analysis after the beat analysis, but here there might be some setting, if any of you knows how to set up rb 3 to have everything analyzed in one shot please let me know

2. key analysis: it gives exactly the same results of rb 2.2, so nothing changed here and this is a good thing. However the results are not 100% the same of Keyfinder. In theory they should give the same results but I get a few differences, no big deal anyway.

3. Precision of beatgrid/bpm. This is the pain point and I have to disagree strongly with Phil. Out of 18 files I had the following:

• 1 with wrong bpm and beatgrid (really badly off the beatgrid and the bpm off by 0.2 bpm)

• 1 with wrong bpm (beatgrid aligned in the beginning and then drifting away towards the end...123.98 instead of 124 bpm)

• 2 slightly off beatgrid, but enough to be audible against the metronome

In summary 4/18 = 22% of the files would need manual adjustment.

IMHO this might be better than rb 2 (but I'm not too sure because 20% of wrong analysis seems more or less what I usually got with rb 2) but not at all better than Traktor where the wrong analysis are less than 10% in my experience.

Julia O 0 votes

Julia, go into the settings, then analysis, and check off  "enable key analysis on import", that will do the key automatically during the initial import analyzation

also you can change the Analysis Process to "Performance" to get more tracks analyzed at the same time, for me it's 4 now vs 2 at a time 

BriChi 0 votes

you only tested 18 files, give it a chance!

i never said it was perfect but it is in my experience so far, as good as traktor now. i've fun a good few hundred tracks of a similar genre and i'd say around 7 or 8 percent need a tweak compared to roughly 30 percent from the old rekordbox. out of all those files i haven't yet had a single wrong bpm, the main tweaks have been it setting the grid on the hi-hats instead of the kick. i would call that a big improvement but i'll leave julia to strongly disagree. :-)

Phil 0 votes

@BriChi, that option was already active. The tracks were already imported because I had an old installation of rb 2 on this computer. I just manually deleted the key to be sure and then started the analysis, apparently it does not do the analysis of the key together with the rest when you right click and ask to analyse.

@Phil, the first track that it analyzed was the one which gave the worst result LOL and unfortunately the first impression is the one that counts most. These tracks that I've chosen are really average and representative of what I normally play, so if I have 20% error rate there I see no point in spending more time testing. I'm sticking to my workflow for the time being, analyse in keyfinder and traktor and then move to rb only to upload on the USB stick.

Julia O 0 votes

correct, it will only do it on import as it says in the option in settings, I totally agree with you though and there should be an option though to right click and analyze all like you want.

BriChi 0 votes

Loving 3.0 but I'm still getting the issue from previous versions are being analysed at the wrong BPM. For example 120.01 or 199.99. It's not the odd one or two tracks it's hundreds. I can manually edit each track but I decided to re-analyse my entire collection when I first ran 3.0. Can anyone help?

Richie Barthez 0 votes