Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

4 followers Follow

Why does my pair of CDJ 900 nexus keep slipping out of time (using rekordbox analyzed music)?

0) Have you read the "READ ME FIRST" thread in its entirety AND TRIED THE SOLUTIONS THERE before posting: Yes

1) Operating System: Windows 8

2) OS Type: 64bit

3) rekordbox version: 3.0

4) Using LINK: Yes

4a) LINK Connection method: DJM 350, linked using Ethernet cable

4b) Using with CDJs: Yes, CDJ 900 Nexus using version 1.20

5) Hard drive / Flash drive / SD card file system: Flash Drive (Cruzer Glide 64 GB)

5a) Does the device have multiple partitions: Unsure

5b) If it's a flash drive, is it a U3 device: Unsure

5c) With what utility did you format the device: Windows

6) Have you scanned your files for errors: Yes (Virus scan)

7) Have you scanned your drive for errors: Yes (Virus scan)

8) Is rekordbox crashing at all: No

8a) If crashing, is it resulting in: an error message OR a crash log OR both (DO NOT POST YOUR CRASH LOG UNLESS REQUESTED!)

8b) If not crashing, are there any error messages: Nothing except some songs were not exported, haven't noticed anything.

9) Are you able to repeat / reproduce the problem: Yes

9a) If yes, can you do it consistently: Not always, it depends on the tracks I'm mixing together.

10) Does the problem occur with one specific song: Not one specific song but many songs.

10a) If yes, please post a link to it:

11) Any other notes regarding your setup only:

12) Provide as much detail of the issue here: Using only rekordbox analyzed music, I find myself having to constantly make adjustments when mixing two tracks together at the same BPM (according to the CDJ and rekordbox) using the CDJ 900 nexus. It seems that my right player at times runs slower than the other (the need to make adjustments begins after about 15 seconds). This really isn't a huge issue when mixing live, but for a mix CD when I went everything perfect this becomes quite a problem. This problem especially/consistently arises when I use the quantized loop feature. I noticed many people had this issue a couple of years ago, but are people still having this issue today with all the newest updates? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Hudson Bridge

Please sign in to leave a comment.

16 comments

Have you checked that the track analysis has been done in the mode appropriate to the style of music (normal or dynamic) and that the beat grid on the tracks is accurate?

Pulse 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

My tracks were analyzed on normal. All of my tracks are 4 to the floor (house, trance, techno), should they be analyzed as dynamic? The beatgrids look accurate to me, however I just checked the last track I played that seemed to slip (Hot Since 82's "Like You") and in rekordbox it says the BPM is 123.13, whereas on the CDJ it reads as 123.1. Could this slight inaccuracy be the cause of the slipping? Perhaps tracks that aren't a perfect bpm will be slightly off and will start to slip after awhile because the CDJ's bpm reader only goes to a tenth of a bpm rather than a hundredth.

Hudson Bridge 0 votes

it sounds like it could be the quantised loop bug that is also on the cdj2000 nexus and pioneer still hasn't fixed, despite being reported several times by users.

it doesn't happen every time you use it, but every now and then the loop length is calculated slightly too short and the loop drifts out of time. it's quite easy to test, by using the same track on both decks and the pitch at zero. sometimes the loop works as expected, sometimes it's out - there's definitely a bug here that needs to be addressed. i guess the firmwares of the 900/2000 nexus contain some of the same code now so i can imagine a bug on one making it into the other deck. 

any chance of flagging this to the engineers Pulse? it's been 9 months since a proper firmware update...

Phil 0 votes

You're right Phil, thanks for the reply. I played the same track pitched to zero on both decks and I looped one of them for 4 bars, the tracks began to noticeably slip after about a minute or so, with the looped track being slightly slower than the other one. I guess for now I can use the sync feature when looping to ensure they won't slip out of time.

Hudson Bridge 0 votes

The looping issue is not so much to do with the players themselves but rather the MP3 frame sizes. Try doing it with a WAV or AIFF version of the same track and you'll see it doesn't happen.

Pulse 0 votes

the issue i described above Pulse, doesn't occur on the non-nexus cdj2000 which is why i think it is a nexus bug.

Phil 0 votes

The 2000Nexus' dont keep time with loops either, its a bug which Pioneer cant be bothered fixing.

Also you need to manually check every single song in your collection to ensure it has the correct BPM! 99% of modern music will be an exact value eg. 127.000bpm, so 99% of the 127.01bpm tracks need the BPM manually adjusted.

BUT, Rekordbox 3 seems to be a lot more accurate, im using it for the 1st time tonight... (Scary!)

Tom Easterfield 0 votes

Hi

I've been having exactly the same issue with my tunes! 

I'm running a pair of 900's (Not nxs) and a DJM700, with most of the tunes that i'm playing, I have to constantly speed it up to keep the beatmatched... At first I thought it was a fault with my actual CDJ, but I was playing at a party last night on my friends identical setup, and the same thing was happening. Now I not certain about this, but when I upgraded to Rekordbox 3, in the Sync manager I pressed a button shaped as an arrow that said "Cue Grid Info". Not having a clue what it meant, I for some reason said yes to it, and ever since, i've been having this problem... Could this potentially have shifted the beat grid's of my tunes or something? Would it be possible to reverse the effects of the CUE GRID INFO button? It's bleddy annoying I tell you! 

Mickey.

Mickey Thomas 0 votes

Too add to that, its always the right hand side CDJ that requires speeding up.

Mickey Thomas 0 votes

All jokes a side, Rekordbox 3 is a big improvement with BPM detection, try upgrading if you havnt already. And it only locked up needing a force quit once all night... I was expecting worse!

Tom Easterfield 0 votes

I think i've actually sorted the problem now...

Because I use two computers, I still have the same library collection on my old Laptop, I formatted my Pen, then synced it with the older version of rekordbox, and the slipping disappeared. I need to check it with a bit more of my music but everything appears to be okay...!

Mickey Thomas 0 votes

Don't suppose any one has found an answer to this? I've noticed that a whole lot of my music (rekordbox analysed) has terrible beat grid placement..

Could the beatgrid placement have anything to do with the music slipping out of time?

Getting pretty damn frustrated here!

Mickey Thomas 0 votes

I dont think poor grid placement  would cause the tune to lose time.

If the BPM is incorrect this may effect the timing, especially if using SYNC or loops.

Tom Easterfield 0 votes

It's definitely the BPM's, which means that rekordbox is analysing the music incorrectly... and this is after I've analysed it over and over again!

Mickey Thomas 0 votes