Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

11 followers Follow

CDJ 2000 USB Port on 2 Decks broken.

This time last year the rear USB port on one of my CDJ2000s broke, got it fixed handily enough thanks to Pulse.

Last night I disconnect my 2 x CDJ2000s from my home setup, travel to the studio where I am doing a web radio show, go to plug in my USB cables and notice that they are loose, I take a look at the back to find that both ports are knackered, you can see in the attached picture that the pins are exposed, it has to be said that the build quality on these players, especially the first batch to be released is f*cking appalling....

Pulse, have you seen this before? am I going to get stung for the repair on both of these?

Thanks,

Mike.

Mike Mooney

Post is closed for comments.

21 comments

This is a common issue, but for liability reasons you will never hear Pioneer's acknowledgment.  Anyone with the CDJ-2000 players needs to be made aware that the USB ports are very fragile, and utmost care should be taken when using them.

Fuse Promote 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

I just had the same Problem today , and i dont know what to do !    im thinking If glue cant get back to its place and work !?  anyy ideas how to fix this Please reply to help us Both

X_Indamix_X 0 votes

@Fuse > You don't work for Pioneer so you have no authority to say whether or not it is a "common issue".  I can tell you that given the number of units sold vs. the number of units sent for repair with this kind of problem, it's not "common".

@Mike > You'll have to contact Pioneer technical support (links on the right), I can't say whether that will be covered or not as it could have been your USB cable which caused the damage (that's me playing devil's advocate).

Pulse 0 votes

I had the same problem! I superglued the tab back into place, it worked fine after that but may void your warranty.

anaru 0 votes

@anaru >  thats what i'm thinking to do , superglue ;)

The usb port is still working in my case but its very loose

X_Indamix_X 0 votes

Yeah i , superglued up the end of the tab, and inserted it using tweezers left to dry overnight and works fine now. I didn't even use the original tab (it was MIA long ago)  i salvaged one off a discarded printer :P

anaru 0 votes

If I didn't know any better, by the looks of that photo, someone forcefully jammed the USB port. The only time I've used a USB port on my players was for the updating of the firmware with a thumb drive. I 100% use LINK with RB and love it.

MIKE BILLS ENTERTAINMENT 0 votes

I'm very disappointed that pioneer use very low quality usb ports.

It's not acceptable on a expensive player like the CDJ-2000.

Usb ports on very cheap laptops are better quality then the usb ports on CDJ-2000.

Pioneer where is the good build quality?

Marc L 0 votes

For the record the USB port has never been forced, alas one of the pins on my 2nd decks is bent so it will need replacing.

I've been working with USB based devices for the last 13 years and can't honestly say that I have never seen this happen to a USB device, yet alone 2 of them! To see comments here about using super glue to fix this issue is nuts, we simply should not have to do this for what is supposed to be the industries premium player.

Pioneer need to have a long look at their design processes are there are obvious flaws with these devices, 1st the loose port that I encountered last year and now this.

Pulse, both my decks are now out of warranty, what are my options here? Having to fork out for this for what has to be another design flaw will be taking the piss....

Thanks

Mike

mikemooney 0 votes

@Mike > You'll have to contact Pioneer technical support for this one; contacts are on the right.

Pulse 0 votes

Can somebody tell me how much are they charging for repairing one USB port on the CDJ 2000 if it's not under warranty?

Balazs Harmath 0 votes

Same thing happened to me last year.i was waiting on the deck for nearly 2 months.my deck was under warranty so dont know how much.pioneer after sale is crap in  ireland.good luck  i hope every thing works out for you

djbmac 0 votes

I would recommend finding out the board part number and reparing it yourself if it's out of warranty

BriChi 0 votes

Just an approximate price if someone could tell me what a service center would charge... Thank you

Balazs Harmath 0 votes

@Balazs > No one here would be really aware of the cost for repair - use the tech support links to find a repair centre in your area and then ring them for a quote.

Gavin 0 votes

I would be another with the same issue. Happened last night right before a gig. I am extremely careful with my gear as its my income and reputation, pioneer should fix this. But we know that wont happen as pioneer already has my $15,000 in gear and doesnt care about customer support. Pioneer screwing up a last few years.

I deem this a "common" problem as I am sure I have a larger reputation than this Gavin yahoo, I know hundreds of well reputable international djs and I can list a handful thats encountered this issue. Gavin dont forget its us pioneer product users that make Pioneer possible.  So stop with the large corporate political bull there Gavin.  Of course its not "common" issue pioneer cant admit fault as they dont want to waste a dime for repairs.

mr x 0 votes

@Mr X > the only contribution I have made to this thread has been the comment just above yours - which is in no way related to what you were trying to attack me over. For that reason I'm guessing I'm not the 'yahoo' you should be referring to nor does my reputation (which you know nothing about) have any impact on this thread. Every user is important to Pioneer.

Gavin 0 votes

Just a FYI for everybody. For a drop in drop out fix, ie; no soldering/just replacing parts. You're looking at, give or take $240-US.

Part number is DWG1660 for all (regional) models.

anaru 0 votes

. . . . . .Alternatively, if you're handy with the solder gun, Part number DKN1574 for the USB B port itself, Price around the $15-US mark

If you don't know, now you know.

anaru 0 votes

I never posted before but I really have to express myself because I cant keep reading unpolite comments made by the couple of guys that stand with the Pioneer logo. If somebody says his\her oppinion about something doesnt mean its the absolute truth. But since the old forum I also saw many many many comments on broken USBs. So I have to agree thats not an unusual problem and there are several people going through it. I also stand for the position that I did pay too much for this gear thinking it was megatop quality and what happens now is that after 2 years of life the CDJs still have unsolved problems. Its a slow feedback for a company that "stands for being the top quality one" dont you think!

Anhanguera 0 votes

@Anhanguera > As I noted above, "several" out of "several thousand" does not make it a major problem.  Sure, as a single user, it is a major problem to that person, but in the overall production, a tiny percentage does not mean it affects every user.  Besides, each incident is dealt with by tech support on a case-by-case basis.

Pulse 0 votes