Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

4 followers Follow

[SOLVED] Corrupt WAV files (!) causing freeze + crash

For almost two years I've been using my pair of CDJ900's extensively and have never had any stability problems. So I was very surprised last week when loading a track I have played over 100 times caused freeze and total crash on both my linked decks. After a bit of digging I found out that a total of 8 tracks in my collection have been corrupted and couldn't be played anymore, very surprising since they are all WAV's and should not be able to corrupt since it's raw data. The solution was easy, convert them to AIF's and re-import them, but it's a big mystery how these, to me, random 8 tracks got corrupted. There's a few new posts on the forums that indicates similar problems, quite alarming since the decks have been 100% stable until now...

In more detail, I'm using fully analyzed tracks exported to a USB device on linked decks. When loading one of the corrupted WAV's it shows up on the screen but the waveform stays blank. Pressing play, cue or call buttons have no effect and "back" only shows the hour glass. A few seconds later the music stops on the other deck, both are completely unresponsive and the only solution is to re-boot both of them. This happens every time I try to access one of the corrupted tracks. I have also experienced some strange behavior on the following track in the same playlist but not so severe as crashing both decks. All tunes plays fine in Rekordbox.

So how can you corrupt a WAV file? I believe there's something to do with the tags. The only thing I've done since playing these tunes at countless gigs is to re-check them with the latest version of Mixed in Key. Maybe that program tried to write information to the "initial key" field that doesn't exist in a WAV container but the problem could also be somehow related to Rekordbox that have tagging issues. I rule out both the artwork and music since they have worked perfectly for a long time and converting to AIF only changes the bit order of the file.

To find all the corrupt files I just loaded each and every one and checked so that they played properly. I'm very happy I have a tight collection and didn't have to spend months going through a 20000 song library :)

I have saved the corrupted files for further studies, anyone interested in doing some detective work?

The Henrik Maneuver

Post is closed for comments.

15 comments

@The Henrik Maneuver > Have you tried removing the files from your Rekordbox collection and re-importing them?

What source were you using when you noticed the tracks were corrupted? i.e. USB device, Computer with Rekordbox via LAN 

Foster 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Removing and re-importing the files didn't help, same result with all of the tunes. I use linked USB-devices and checked with two different to rule out the possibility of a faulty stick.

The Henrik Maneuver 0 votes

@The Henrik Maneuver > Can you upload one or two of these tracks to your (or my) Dropbox account so we can analyze them?

Gavin 0 votes

No problem, just send me your drop box details and you'll have them as fast as my internet access allows.

@The Henrik Maneuver > I know this doesn't matter much, but after re-importing the tracks into Rekordbox, have you tried linking your CDJ's directly to your computer to see if the files play via LAN?

When you converted them to AIFF, did you have any trouble importing, or hear any faults in the track before exporting a new file?

Foster 0 votes

@Foster > I have never linked my computer to my players so I haven't tried that. I always use a USB-device linked between the players.

No problems converting the files to AIFF, used iTunes built in converter. Have played the converted tunes a few times on big systems and they have no glitches or sound artifacts.

I would suspect that it was more a problem with the database on the export device(s) rather than the files themselves.  Removal of the track from the device won't necessarily cure the problem as the database info may remain for that track.  Can you find the export.pdb file on the drive and stick it in the Dropbox for Gavin as well?

Pulse 0 votes

@Pulse > Sorry but that file is since long gone. The drive has been re-formatted and overwritten with a fresh collection without corrupt tunes.

For fun I just copied the troublesome WAV-files to a freshly formatted USB-stick without going through Rekordbox. Same result, freeze and crash. So the problem is clearly hidden somewhere in the depths of the waveforms. Then I burned them as an audio CD, played just fine...

@Gavin > Please send me your contact information to mail@henrikmaneuver.com and you'll have the corrupted files asap.

@Henrik > I've sent you an email with the Dropbox details - thanks.

Gavin 0 votes

I'm having the same problem. but via LAN

i have recently down loaded the new version Rekordbox 1.5.3 OS MAC book pro i7. 10.7.3 up to date 2x CDJ-900 DJM-700 connected through a powered router via LAN cable.. CDJ-900 crashes when trying to load a song into a CDJ-900 (either by controls on deck or laptop via Rekordbox) when this happens i can not do anything on the CDJ-900, loading symbol comes up, completely frozen and have to turn off and back on again and re-link.

which means no music which isn't good at a club? i can then only re-link once disabling the link in Rekordbox and reconnecting. please help. David

David 0 votes

@Pulse > Yes it was working Perfect with 1.5.2, was only since update to 1.5.3. this happens every 20 mins or so

David 0 votes

Is there some kind of utility to check for corrupted wav files? Like the one for mp3's - mp3val.

A few months ago my windows 7 pc stopped working (explorer.exe process used 100% of the cpu). Mailed microsoft and they told me it's because of some corrupt wav files:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976417

I've had no problem in playing those file with my cdj2000's, however, they were problematic for the pc.

This problem could be solved by installing that "hotfix" microsoft provided, but i'm not happy knowing i have corrupted files in my pc. I wish at least to know which one is corrupted.

Checked the hdd for errors, nothing found.

Thanks!

Marian Eugen 0 votes