Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

41 followers Follow

CDJ2000 NXS Discussion,

Ok lets hear ya!!

who is getting them and what are your thoughts and questions??

lets get the ball rolling!!

Nick Hilton

Post is closed for comments.

218 comments

but you have to manually adjust/tweak the grids in traktor to get them perfectly in time. the algorithm is now pretty good but in my experience it's not 100%, same with rekordbox, it needs a bit of manual adjustment which is saved with the file. with cds, you can't tweak the settings and save them so you run the risk of the bpm detection going haywire. a loop drifting out of time in a mix has far great consequences than an echo delay drifting!

i just don't think there's a realtime beat detection system out there that's 100% accurate like a manually set beatgrid which is why pioneer devised rekordbox.

i hear what you're saying but i just don't think it's technically possible. a good halfway house would have been pioneer allowing you to burn a 'rekordbox cd' which saved the beatgrid/waveform on the disc but that's not really what you're after i guess!

i'm pretty sure you can set up even the current cdj2000 to save waveforms to sd/usb from audio cds just like you could on the cdj1000 if that's any help?

Phil 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Pioneer just  made every one a dj with the 'SYNC buttons. there will be more djs than dancers soon .then what will happen .?

Bren 0 votes

@Bren - There will be a massive uproar amongst club owners, dancers will start going on DJ killing sprees, and the world will explode.

If you're going to argue, be logical rather than stating a slippery slope.

DJNR 0 votes

fOLLOWING ON FROM Andrew Thornton POINT ...

1) With the XDJ-Aero, we had an option of connecting a USB drive to the player, but using an iPhone/iPad/computer (maybe) to navigate the contents of the drive connected to the XDJ, and load tracks from the connected drive to the player. Do the new CDJ 2000 Nexus players have the option of using Rekordbox connected devices to navigate the contents of another drive plugged into a CDJ? Basically I'd prefer to use something like an iPad or iPhone for easier navigation than the built in interface on the CDJs (which I find a bit clunky) whilst still loading the tracks off a hard-wired drive as I don't entirely trust wireless to be reliable. If using an iPhone or iPad, does it have to be connected via wifi to do this, or can I navigate and load tracks from other devices when the phone or tablet is plugged in via USB?

MY POINT ... Will the nexus 2000 operate in the same way as the Aero

IE You can load your Rekordbox HD say to the SD slot or other USB

Then plug in an Anderoid or Ipad ... and control whats on the Rekordbox HD with the Ipad - I mean have NO actual music on the Ipad, just use it as a control surface to use the USB to search, cue up and select songs on a bigger screen with a 100 % touch screen (not having to use the 6.1 inch CDJ2000nexus screen - just assign the track from the Ipad) - as described in the Jpeg ive screen shot from the aero manual.

Am I correct in thinking this is the correct proceedure, or will it only be data thats on the ipad / Anteroid devise ?

DJccccc 0 votes

@PHIL I think you agree with me but just don't think it's possible so let me elaborate a little more.  Quantizing was a feature that officially started with the djm 900 nexus.  So before this we had features such as beat effects on mixers and waveforms on Traktor and serato aswell as auto beat gridding.  Every dj welcomed beat effects even though it wasn't 100% accurate which the tap button help this but even without the tap button many effects especially on the djm 800 was fine.  

Same with traktor and serato there was no rekordbox box yet we had accurate waveforms anyway and the beatgridding for the most part was accurate enough to work with.  The cdj 2000 nexus since it's a computer essentially and has software inside that allows certain functions and commands that allowing automatic beatgrids and automatic waveforms was essential for such an expensive cdj.  Now if anyone where to complain that its not 100% accurate all the time then they still have the option to manually edit and construct there track via rekordbox.  Just as beat effects worked most of the time on our djm mixers especially the djm 800 and we at times would use the tap button to have the effects more accurate.  

The same goes with the automatic quantizing it will be for the most part functional just like traktor and serato have been but still have the option to use rekordbox if they wanted to.

As far as waveforms they should not be a need to use rekordbox as traktor and serato have been using this and that is the reason why pioneer adopted it because djs like myself asked for it.  But it is a let down since a 2000$+ cdj needs to rely so much on a software such as rekordbox that it just doesn't justify the cost in my opinion.  

I understand that beat effects staying in beat vs an actual beatgrid is different but that is why I use traktor and serato as an example since they are softwares that have done a good job of this without the need of rekordbox but again it did help djs to get close to 100% accuracy with rekordbox and the cdj 2000 nexus has a software inside which allows certain function I can't see how such an expensive item can't allow this.  Foster said that it was good but it would cost more to do this but again traktor and serato's software itself is not expensive at all and the cdj 2000 nexus is 2000 plus so I don't think that is accurate.  

@BREN and NATHAN  I've been a dj for 16 years now started djing with belt drive turntables and a plain gemini mixer.  If I had a sync feature many of my friends who tried to dj would not have walked away so easily as they did because it took time to build skill just in beatmatching alone.  So in a sense you are both right, Bren is right even though his statement was a little excessive but I get what he is saying.  There are now going to be so many people picking up this equipment and syncing everything and becoming a dj because in my experience as long as you read the crowd the crowd could care less if you are manually beat matching or not.  

Now tell me was it logical for pioneer to add the sync button....YES for a company this may increase sales so I can't hate on Pio for adding this feature.  But I can see why so many are mad because it takes time to beatmatch and skill to beatmatch quickly.  I own a pair of cdjs now and I can beatmatch with no help what so ever yet another friend who use to play for fun who was struggling on turntables tried my cdjs and was really good at beat matching and I knew why because he would look at the bpm and just match that.  

Don't get mad at pioneer because there have been some form of syncing the past few years now.  Unless you yourself own turntables without any bpm screen and don't use a software that shows any bpm count or syncing I can't see how anyone can disagree with Pioneer adding this feature it was a a logical step for Pioneer.  

DJ NVASION 0 votes

Sorry for the long comments should've broken it down didn't realise it till i posted it and I don't see a edit feature anymore my bad.  

DJ NVASION 0 votes

I keep seeing everybody say that there will be a ton of people syncing BECAUSE of the CDJ-2000Nexus, which I do not understand. The Nexus isn't the main contributing factor to the prevalence of sync, especially because the product isn't even for sale yet. The issue is the abundance of sync on lower level gear. I don't understand why there is such an uproar for it to be on a product that caters to professional DJs who likely already know how to beat match.

DJNR 0 votes

I think the_ 'auto-syncing_' issue, and the rise of technology (those who see it problematic), has more to do with 'job security'. Many of us** DJ's** feel that we have a skill that few others possess. Not a rhetorical question__but why hire a skilled DJ, when you can buy the equipment yourself and magically match beats and play tunes without any background. Heck, before you know it, EVERYBODY will have an auto DJ kit available at all price ranges. With the push of a few buttons, ANYONE can play the role of a DJ. To be sure, beat-matching historically is a skill that fundamentally separates the** DJ** from the_ 'guy who play records or the dj in a box'_ sort of speak. I believe_ anti sync_ issues, has more to do with paranoia than anything else why some insist on being anti-sync etc. So then, if what I say is true, there is only one thing that we DJ's can do, and that is, UTILIZE the available technology in our field, i.e._ 'sync'_ technology is RAISE our game and separate ourselves from he  DJ-IN-A-BOX guy__just say'n! 

DJ_ 6_Sixx utilizing 'syn'c technology to raise the bar-atcha!

6Sixx 0 votes

Not going to read everything that was posted after me.  But I think of this when I think of sync: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_4GPAUPWbM

Now where in the hell is the unsubsribe button?  I've gotten more friggin e-mails in the last 24 hours than I've gotten in the last 24 months! lol.

ThatGuyWill 0 votes

If you all ask me, Pioneer has done it once again. Im so excited to get my hands, and ears on a pair of these. Talk about evolution in DJ technology. What I love about Pioneer is the fact that they are futuristic with the times. Trust me when I say that these new players are a huge game changer. Talk about innovation, and taking it to the next level. As we can see this is why Pioneer is the best. They know whats up. Sure, there will always be that debate about master/beat sync. Remember though, if your a old school head like me its all wavy gravy friends. Its very important to know the basics!!! I started on turntables, but this will open up a brand new world into the mix. Keep the skills you know and cherish to heart, but open your mind, soul, and mixing skills to a new level that will be out of this world.. We are all here to progress  and grow in our skills. This next step in DJ technology will be so wild, and totally cool on many levels. 

Remember that when it comes down to it, Mix and enjoy, and always share your skills and knowledge with others. Seriously cant wait!!! Now I must save.. lol:) 

You guys ROCK!!!!!

Mad Love,

DJ Angular Bliss:)

Angular Bliss 0 votes

DJNR - agreed:) Thank you friend:)

I think its important to embrace, and learn about new technology. Thats how we grow, and become better with the tools we use:) Its also important to bring the knowledge that we know being in the scene for many years and incorporate those skills with this new amazing technology. We are the musicians that love this. Lets learn and grow together with these new tools, and bringing in the old school flavor in a new wave. The new CDJ 2000's nxs is very very exciting:) Im so pumped about these players. 

Boy I really have to save:)

You all Rock, and I know that there will be really really cool discussions, I mean there already is:) about these new units once everyone gets there hands, and ears on it. Its a very exciting time:)

Cheers:)

Angular Bliss 0 votes

" I'm not bothered about the zoomed waveforms - a simple overview of the entire track is more than adequate for my needs. I liked the overview that the CDJ 2000 gave of what is loaded in the player, and would consider the loss of that information at a glance to be a significant regression if there's no way to easily get it back. I've read the CDJ 2000 Nexus manual, and I know that pressing the info button will give me something similar to what I'm looking for. However, I wouldn't want to have to hit info each time I load a track. Is there a way to show the track summary rather than the zoomed waveform by default whenever I load a track on the 2000 Nexus? "

This !

I like to have my playing cover arts on screens ... Can we 'customize' our screens on the new 2k nexus ?

L V G 0 votes

My question is, if the new  nexus is fully compatible to the old 2k.

The quantized Hot Cues and Slip mode sounds very good to me, but if i play a track on the old 2k will the nexus get the beatgriddata from the old one so that the quantized Hot Cues ant the beat after scratching in Slip mode are still on the beat?

Fox Smith 0 votes

_@Thomas Robertshaw

If you all ask me, Pioneer has done it once again. Im so excited to get my hands, and ears on a pair of these. Talk about evolution in DJ technology. What I love about Pioneer is the fact that they are futuristic with the times. Trust me when I say that these new players are a huge game changer. Talk about innovation, and taking it to the next level.

Hey Thomas, you should really thank the user that gives the ideas to pioneer, without the users, pioneer would be nowhere. They take our ideas and make them reality and then sell us the product. That's their business.

_True Story

dtm 0 votes

@6Sixx...

Pulse will weigh in sometime soon but I have a similar set-up (minus the X1s) and am looking forward to replacing my now Sold CDJ-2000's with the Nexus version.  I wouldn't worry about it too much, you have a lot of potential on hand and this new integration will make for a great set-up.  If Advanced HID will be a feature on day 1, later or at all you can use your Traktor but keep looking forward...you might not even need it!

runningoutofspace 0 votes

@runningoutofspac. . .

Yes, I can see how the new** Nexus CDJ** will make my life easier. I'm mobile, so not having to connect my Macbook, X1, and worry about Traktor/Pioneer integration, etc will benefit me greatly. I can rock up to my GIG with** 2 CDJ's, DB4,** and utilize my Macbook/ and Traktor software as a stand-by source, just in case something on the CDJ's go array_.(not that it will happen:-)._ . . It's just sad, that I may miss my Traktor set-up, as it has been VERY good to me, as a source introduction into  the _'new-age'  _of DJing. It is the same feeling when I sold my 1200's a few years back:-( But as you stated, it's time to keep looking forward and welcoming the latest, greatest, technology for our industry!

I'm pumped, can't wait to save and get my new CDJ's!!!!

Yay Pioneer!

6Sixx 0 votes

The CDJ 2000 nexus is just one more tool for a DJ and Pioneer you are still # 1 for me PS All the DJ"S  mad at the sync just stop it.same thing 10 years  CDJ 1000 vs vinyl Just play with your hart and soul four your fans.

Carlton Bacot 0 votes

@brichi haha.. I just sold my three 2000s too... can't wait for the new ones.

Damien Sirkis 0 votes

With the new Beat Sync feature, Pioneer are forcing the whole beat syncing issue .... everyone will end up having to use it or just not sound as tight as those that do .....

Now, if we're going to be forced down the beat sync road, why would we bother (or a club for that matter) to spend £3000 on a couple of CDJ2000nexus when we may as well go and spend £200 on traktor?

We got shafted with the DJM2000, the so called flagship mixer which has basically been dumped by pioneer, they keep bringing out a new range every few months, with new features that that won't include in the previous models (although i'm sure they could via firmware updates).

We get mugged off with software that is still buggy as hell (making it unusable for some).

UK pioneer official service centres are a waste of time, most arnt even interested in services pioneer stuff, let alone sourcing spare parts.

So tell me pioneer, why the hell should I ever buy another pioneer product ?

DJBostonGreen 0 votes

@Urban if you think beatmatching is what makes you sound tight... you're doing it wrong :)

I can beat match flawlessly and I can still run rings around any of those kids with their Traktor sync who can't put a good set together and only know how to play bangers after bangers at 140bpm.

It doesn't matter what you play with, CDJs, Traktor, Virtual DJ, Vinyl, Ableton, whatever... what matter is the heart and soul of your set and how you put it together...

That's NOTHING to do with beat matching or technology...

Damien Sirkis 0 votes

Lol, @ Didier ..... you've totally missed the point of my entire post. But i've been DJing since 1991, I know what makes my mixes tight, skill.

DJBostonGreen 0 votes

OK i just have to chime in here.

I'll say it straight away. I'm NOT a fan of the sync button and here's why:

Unlike what Didier has said a great DJ set DOES have alot to do with beat matching, as well as track selection

and programming. Beatmatching is an important skill (at least in most dance music anyway) that when done properly makes you a MUCH better DJ than if you wobbled all thru your set. . Many of us DJs have spent countless hours perfecting the skill of beat matching -And i dont mean

a couple years to get good enough to play out, but REALLY mastering the skill! Taking the time honored tradition of this

process and diminishing it to now mean absolutely NOTHING is not only a kick in the balls/vagina of all the seasoned DJs

out there but it also takes away from the whole process. Hours and hours in your bedroom, matching beats, playing with different tracks and how they interact with each other, learning how to get 3 records going and be able to step back and feel a sense of accomplishment, this is all GONE now. These processes are an integral part of the learning curve and are instrumental in shaping our DJing experience and subsequently the audiences experience. i equate it to going to a BMX demo and seeing a bunch of "expert" BMXers doing tricks on their bikes, but all the bikes are now equipped with training wheels. NOT quite as impressive is it. We are now ushering in a whole new generation of DJs that will have absolutely NO need to learn that skill, by skipping this step we're pandering to the guys like Deadmau5 and company, basically  producers who can't DJ to save their lives. It's undermining the entire artform and making everyone a superstar in their own mind. " hell my mixes are supertight and all my tracks are sick, of course they are, I picked them!" Track selection and programming are always up for debate, one person will love it, someone else will hate it. but beat matching is concrete, you either have spent the time and dedication to perfect it or you haven't - it has always separated the "men from the boys" so to speak.

All said, I'm not looking forward to the future generation of DJs at all, too bad Pioneer couldn't be more ideologically driven, I think it would have been great to have the nexxuss be like a ferrari, you dont know WTF your doin, your gonna crash!

ps: i watched the laidback luke video, would of been impressive if he was manually keeping everything in time. but now that i learn that it was all cheating i just laugh. utter rubbish. it's like doing an ollie on your skateboard with your feet glued on. WHACK.

DubLN 0 votes

@DubLN Countless hours?? wow... I've learned to beat match perfectly in less than a couple of months.

Sync has been on laptops for years, it hasn't made any difference as to who stands out and who is crap.

This won't either.

Damien Sirkis 0 votes

@DubLN haha... lol

I'm actually very average but my point is, it's really not that hard... 

Someone elsewhere said it best, beat matching is not an art. Everyone can learn to do it and get to the same result.

Playing a good set, reading the crowd and taking people on a journey...that takes skills and talented people will all do it differently.

Damien Sirkis 0 votes

PS: mixing IS an artform. anyone who claims otherwise is a...a..a....damn REPUBLICAN! LOL.

DubLN 0 votes