Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

20 followers Follow

Will the old CDJ 2000 get a firmware update as well?

Yeah the title pretty much gives away what I want to know.

Will the old CDJ 2000 get some of the features of the 2000 nexus?

Kid Ali

Post is closed for comments.

108 comments

In my humble opinion Pioneer can (and should) improve products as any other company does. When you buy a car you should expect a restyle after 2 years, after 4 years a totally new model, and these are chance to see improvements e issues fix. The point for me is another one. if you're not a mobile dj or a dj working in top clubs, probably you won't be able to work with new hardware for months (sometimes years). That means you can have your 2000NXS at home and enjoy the new features but no hope to take advantage of them when you go out for playing, unless you bring your own cd players with you.

Giona Guidi 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Thank you Pioneer - I'll put my two cents in... I feel technology should continue improving, and unfortunately this means what you buy today will be old tomorrow. I'm happy with my CDJ-2000's and have no plans on up-grading...for now. Look at Apple, who's buying an iPhone 5 next month. What if Pioneer decided to pull the plug and close their DJ equipment division, like Panasonic did with such a great product "Technics", then what? Probably a small company will copy the CDJ's and give horrible support. Thank you Pioneer for this new product, keep engineering the future of DJing. Just something to think about…… You can always pass the bill of your new CDJ-2000’s to your clients by raising the price of your gigs J

DecoDJs 0 votes

@ Pulse > "@Stroboscope > There were many features that could not be implemented into the hardware of the existing 2000, hence the upgrade to the 2000nexus."

I really didn't mean anything about the sync, slip or any of the NEW features... What I meant was fixing the existing ones. All the fixes seem to be there on nexus! So it is impossible to fix the firmware to make the features work 100%?? Did we buy expensive faulty products which hardware is not able to do what they told us it would? I didn't want huge wave forms on my cdj display. All I asked was for a fix on some problems like Xador mentioned:

"It needs over 2,5 years to fix the issues nearly! And the current MT for me is not useable! Also the quantized loops are not correct, as well as looping from an manual set cue point. This is a main feature which IS NOT WORKING!!!"

Simple like that! But seems like the engineers were really busy with something else. I beg your pardon Pulse but to me this is a 100% DISRESPECT with all the CDJ 2000 mk1 consumers! There is no other word for naming Pioneer's behaviour.

Stroboscope 0 votes

@ DecoDJs > Have you ever seen a feature on iPhones that DO NOT WORK PROPERLY mate?? Have you ever seen any Apple consumer complaining their product didn't do what one of the buttons says?? I think you misunderstood our point of view... I dont mind at all technology moving forward or I wouldn't had change my TTs for a pair of CDJs. I was like a child smiling from ear to ear being able to get into the loops world not to mention some other features... but the fact is that THEY DONT WORK PROPPERLY on 2000mk1. On that matter it's then, in my oppinion, a faulty product. And I am pretty sure if they directed some effort on fixing those issues Xador pointed we would be all happy right now. But having to buy a new product to have your "old" one's features fixed is really a DISRESPECT!

Stroboscope 0 votes

All this negativity is doing my head in, and I don't even work for Pioneer!

I find it confusing that so many people suddenly become 'expert' on the internal workings of 2 pieces of highly technical equipment.  I'm baffled that people take offense at a company's approach of continuously developing and advancing their technology and bringing out new products on a regular basis.

I like the look of these new players, I think they're going to be awesome.  For me, I love shiny new DJ kit.  I also think that the MT on my current CDJ-2000s is enough to make me want a pair of 2000 Nexus, regardless of all the other new features and improvements.

Pioneer will upgrade and fix what they can and what they see fit on the current models.  We've seen features added in the past.  Pro Link wasn't there from day 1, the loop cutter was a totally new addition, MT was DRASTICALLY improved and they even squeezed Quantize into the DJM-2000 for us.

Mark90 0 votes

@Stroboscope > I hear you and understand your frustration mate. I'm sure there will be some bugs with the new 2000's that will be improved on the next model. That's just the nature of the game. Ask AT&T why calls are dropped once in a while, or why Apple iTunes store lost 10 songs I purchased and they could not give me a reason why this happened. Don't forget is a product not God :) If it was perfect then it will never evolve and technology will die. Cheers

DecoDJs 0 votes

Nobody is claiming to be an engineer here Mark90. But enough eletronics knowledge to know the current display would never support displaying what they were not meant to. Your comment should be directed to those who expect some new features like sync or bigger spectrum display being implemented on 2000mk1. I never expected any new feature for mine. I just expect IT'S features to work propperly. Thats not asking much is it? Do you really think asking for acurate quantize loops, a decent MT behaviour and loops from a set cue point would be asking too much???? Everybody loves a shiny new gear! Who doesn't?????  But do you really think its fair all of us to buy a new pair of gear just to have old features working propperly??? Is that what you mean???

Stroboscope 0 votes

Stroboscope:  "Have you ever seen a feature on iPhones that do not work properly?"

Errrr, remember the time with the iPhone 4 where merely holding the phone caused the actual phone to stop working?

At least Pioneer haven't told us that we're holding our decks incorrectly!

Mark90 0 votes

@ Mark90:

Am I understand you right that it is ok to get the existing issues fixed to buy a new player for 2000 €$... ??? A bit too much for a fix, or?

And by the way, when I buy something, I inform myself about this product. And like the CDJs if the promised features are not working 100% it is a lie to the customers! And even more extremely with the DJM 2000, which was propagated with a 24 bit 96kHz sound card on every Pioneer homepage! And after releasing and everyone was asking about why the sound card could not do the promised bit, Pioneer says, "it was a mistake in the hardware which we cannot fix"!!!

I'm sorry, but this kind of sh*** customers is an absolutely cheek!

And I'm not willing to accept this kind of behavior! I wanna have 100% working players with the promised features! If it is not fixable by firmware they have the obligation in my eyes to take them back and give the money back, or exchange them to the fixed model!

And in case for the DJM 2000, their update broke the mixer! I buy a well working and expensive mixer and they "damage" it in a way, without getting ready to fix this!!! This is now a year ago!!!

Xador 0 votes

I am not claiming to be an expert (as I think that was directed at me) but working and milking every bit of power from set hardware is what I do at (game company). I am not under the impression that we or they can get the display tech in the current model to run the waveform. But for things like quantized triggering of cues and autoload and even a basic phase meter 2 boxes 3 colors red, orange yellow. To fast to slow. Or sourcing the key of a song playing off the other player should all be within the grasp of the current player. With proper resource management. Much of this information is already being used within the system as you play, and both the players are talking to one another.

Realistically you could even use spare cycles in the dsp to do someone of this if it would be more efficient. It would require a bit more work. But that is one of the tricks we have employed where I work for loading vectors. Hardware is hardware, the firmware updates allows the allocation or resources that is it. When you have an interest in squeezing every last bit of power out of the current platform you can do things no one though was possible, when you have an interest in selling more product you don’t try.

Pioneer sells product, running there hardware to the bleeding edge is only going to prolong the life of current hardware and cut into sales. 

I did bring in my CDJ2000 limited to work today, we (co workers and I) want to see just what kind of data stream we can push through it. Just another computer right.

Scott Kilpatrick 0 votes

A fair assessment I think xador. The truth seems to be ignored & swept under the carpet by some unfortunately...

cdjbasile 0 votes

Cdj2000mk1 owners (I mean the individual ones, not the clubs), you should make one question to yourself...

Does it worth to update to new cdj2000nxs ???

In past I used to own cdj100, I updated to cdj200. After that I updated to cdj1000mk3. Then cdj2000mk1. If I had now cdj1000mk3 I would update to cdj2000nxs but since I own cdj2000mk1 is it worth to update to new one or wait ??

I am asking these questions because I see many ppl excited and ready to purchase the new one...

Dream Treez 0 votes

I think the only interesting feature between both models is the slip feature (if everything was working 100% in mk1) and i would never change my gear because of that. Everybody knows when we sell used harware the price has to be taken really really down. And thats why I think they will never fix the still existing problems in mk1's. Like Scott said, the only thing they will focus now is on selling the new unit. Sorry for being really pessimistic about this but after 3 years I really dont think they will do it.

Stroboscope 0 votes

As a pair of CDJ2000's owner used exclusively as standalone players for 2 years now, i have to agree that it's a sad news for us to have gotten such slow/poor support from Pioneer, with very few feedbacks from the team here on their own forums.

I do agree with many comments of people wondering about "new NXS features" which should be added to CDJ2000, i'm well aware that current hardware has limitations, but several of them could be coded, there are always several ways to a mean. Even if it means to add special settings to enable/disable unused fonctions chosen by user to save up ressources/memory. See.. i just let go another idea.

Let's not be blind, Stroboscope is right. We'll see what Pioneer will decide of our fate in october (or later..).

Too much hype has been created for the NXS during the 3 days before introduction, at least, it's a success for a teaser, a real let down for people thinking they will get a totally new product and a worry about EOL (End Of Life) for us current CDJ2000 owners.

Dream Treez > For myself, seeing the teaser before release with no details, i was pretty excited about maybe getting a deck.. But as soon as the specs got leaked then released, i got instantly disappointed to see it's only a revision with 70% software mods as someone said.

So guys, cheer up, i keep reading those forums weekly for news, but seems like it's soon to be over for this generation of decks.

PS: as another one mentioned, i remember having suggested about "rating titles" functions directly from the decks. which is advertised now as bold and brand new feature.. Right,  Just saying :)

metcdj2k 0 votes

@Stroboscope, I also agree with you. For me, only useful feature from new cdj is slip mode. I have to admit that I love the zoom waveform, but I don't find it enough for a reason to change my old cdjs for these ones. 

Also I have to say, that "time" is best doctor and the truth will come up. We will see the nxs!

Dream Treez 0 votes

After 3 years I dont believe in time anymore :P~

I guess thats it. They will fix another ridiculous issue in october just to say they are not supporting the "old" gear anymore...

...and anybody tell me I'm wrong! ??

Stroboscope 0 votes

Here we are on page two and all I find are people who don't work for the company and know even less than I do rambling on about nothing in particular.

My final word on this issue (and no, don't start a new thread on it because it will meet the same fate) is that you will just have to wait and see what's in store, but no, existing users are not forgotten.

Pulse 0 votes