Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

3 followers Follow

About the pull the trigger, and replace my stolen gear. Just need some input!

Hey All,

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong area to post this in.

So here’s the deal, 5 or 6 years back I was making some progress in DJ'ing and getting gigs. I had two original CDJ 1000's a DJM 500 and an EFX 500 and I loved them! Unfortunately they got stolen and I just never replaced my gear.

I've had the itch to get back into playing, and I have a few connections in the industry so I said F it I'm going to come back and start playing again.

I was all set to get a DDJ T1 and just play off of my laptop. After doing some digging around I saw the RMX 1000 and I fell in love. The EFX-500 really made the time in between song transitions much more creative and fun, and the RMX 1000 blew me away. I did some research and it looks like it doesn't work well (or as well as it could) with a DDJ T1.

So, I want to stay with ALL pioneer equipment because I'm a huge fan. I did some reading and I'm trying to put together a setup than can be linked to a laptop with traktor and allow me to connect a RMX 1000. I also want the ability to play music off of a hard drive and have a single Hard drive shared to the two CDJ's

It seems to me, the minimum cost setup to do what I want I'm looking for is as follows

2x CDJ 900

1 DJM 900

RMX - 1000

Headphones

Now this setup is considerably more than what I was planning on investing with a DDJ-T1 and RMX-1000. If this is what I need to spend to play the way I want to (noted above) then that’s fine. I just want to see if there is an alternative to the setup above that can still get the job done. Also, I need to make sure I'm not mising anything?

If you do recommend another setup, could you possibly let me know what features or bells and whistles I'm giving up by downgrading one of the components?

Also on the topic of taking a hard drive and sharing it between two CDJ's...would it be more cost effective to just buy two hard drives and make them duplicates of each other and then downgrade the mixer? Just a thought.

Appreciate the help in advice guys! 

Spork2000

Please sign in to leave a comment.

11 comments

Hi, you can just link the cdj900 together they really don't have to go into a mixer and with the RMX it can be used with any mixer on the master out. But ideally is better hooked up in send return. So you could use a Djm700 or Djm850. Hope this helps abit.

Morgo 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

I'm using 2 x CDJ900 a DJM700 and the RMX1000. I saved several hundred £s as I knew I'd be using the RMX for fx more than the mixer so I didn't bother getting the 800, 850 or 900. I use the set up sometime with Traktor sometime without. I always use my laptop; I prefer the big screen so I don't use the CDJ's USB. A lot of the gigs I do I work back to back with another DJ who uses CDs and everything works great for us.
There's no Ethernet on the 700 which means having to use a hub but I can live with as I'm planning on possibly incorporating my iPad in to the set over wireless but that will be later down the road.

Si BooGie 0 votes

@Spork2000 > Welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear you had all your gear stolen.

If I was you, I'd go with the mixer +CDJ +RMX setup - you've more room to be creative and you are not solely relying on one unit (not that the DDJ-T1 is unreliable).

Whatever you choose, I wish you well and hope to help you wherever you may have questions.

Gavin 0 votes

Ok so a few more questions.

If I plan on always using my setup with a laptop, in theroy I don't need the ethernet connection to share a drive between CDJ's correct? I can just plug my external drive into my Macbook and use that as a hub?

Since I'm only going to use 2 channels, would going for the Pioneer DJM-T1 mixer be a beter choice than a DJM-700? What are the pro's and cons to this?

Lastly, if I buy two CDJ 900's and a DJM-700 for Traktor use do I need anything extra to make connect them to the macbook? Back when I had Serato and Technics I know there was a little box I hooked everything into and then connected it via USB. Is that still the case?

Spork2000 0 votes

@Spork2000 > You'll still need an network switch to connect the two CDJs and mixer with the laptop.

If you bought the T1 over the 700 then you'd have more control over Traktors functionality for sure but you'd be two channels short. Its always nice to have some spare channels.

No, you would not need the 'box' - that box was a soundcard and the CDJ900s have soundcards built in.

Gavin 0 votes

Gavin,

Thanks for the response, a few questions.

What do you mean a network switch to connect two CDJ's and mixer to a laptop? I thought you just use the time coded CD's inside the CDJ and then hook the mixer up to the laptop. Am I wrong? What is a 'network switch'.

I don't mind having less channels, so would the T1 be the way to go because it's cheaper and suits my needs?

and was that a typo or is the soundcard really in the CDJ? I would imagine it would be in the mixer but I've been away from all of this for awile.

Spork2000 0 votes

@Spork > My apologies, I thought you mentioned rekordbox in your setup too. If you don't plan on using rekordbox then no, you won't need a network switch.

To connect your CDJs to Traktor you will just need two available USB slots on your MacBook and connect the CDJs directly (no need for an external soundcard - 'box'). Same with the T1 mixer.

Yes, the CDJ-2000s / 900s have soundcards built in.

Gavin 0 votes

@Gavin

Thanks for the info. So if I connect the CDJ's to traktor via USB how does the mixer get connected to my laptop?

Spork2000 0 votes

@Gavin

Thanks for the reply!

So basically the setup I would have would be...

Both CDJ's and the T1 connected to my laptop

RMX - 1000 connected to the mixer only (no laptop connection needed?)

Mixer connected to external speakers

Am I missing anything else? I think that would be all I needed right?

Also, is it an issue that my Macbook Air has only two USB ports? I could just use a USB splitter or hub?

You also mentioned that you thought I would be using Rekordbox in my setup. Is there any need to do that? I thought Traktor has the same functionally?

Spork2000 0 votes

@Spork > Hang on, are you going for the DDJ-T1 controller or the mixer + CDJ + RMX setup?

Gavin 0 votes