Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

8 followers Follow

What happened to the "Beat Correction" in Rekordbox 4?

Either I couldn't find it or it is missing from what I believe to be one of the best ideas you can up with (I think I am one of the people to suggest this in the first place), There isn't a way to get the beat grid to match the songs. I can't set the first beat of a file. Is there ANOTHER upgrade coming that is going to include this feature in the future?

Twisted Knobs Music Answered

Official comment

Are you talking about being able to shift the beat grid of analyzed songs? If so, this function is available in Export & Performance mode. As long as the analysis lock is not engaged. In Performance mode, you have to select it because it is hidden. Let's say a track is loaded in deck 1, under the #1 for that deck there is a drop down arrow. Click it and you will see "Pad mode, Memory Cue, & Grid". Select "Grid" and ensure the analysis lock is not engaged.

DJ Bass V
Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.

15 comments

thanks Bass V, that's good to know. I was hugely disappointed and lead to believe that it was not possible to adjust the beatgrid in performance mode but only to go back to export mode.
Tho I have to say that they made a good job hiding that option very carefully LOL ...the small arrow under the deck number appears only when you hover the mouse pointer on it.

Julia O 0 votes

Correct - it's not something most people would need to use, so it's tucked away. :)

Pulse 0 votes

considering how bad is rb with beatgridding (especially the phase), if you don't check each of your analyzed tracks carefully before djing, you have a very high chance that the beatgrid is wrong and you have to correct it when you play, so probably the grid correction controls should not be hidden.

Julia O 0 votes

I disagree - this should be something you do as part of your preparation step, not performance step.

If you are a working DJ, part of your job is to spend time buying, organizing, and managing your music. As part of that process, you will import it into your DJ software, and likely create cue or memory points on the track - which is part and parcel with verifying the beat grid.

Pulse 0 votes

Indeed, this is something that I learnt using rekordbox, thanks to its poor beatgrid analysis and I kept the good habit to verify each track against the metronome even after switching back to Traktor for the beatgridding. Traktor is way more precise but it still gets a wrong beatgrid once in a while.
The problem is that not every dj has a clean library where all the tracks are properly beatgridded. If the hardware you are playing on does not have an easy way to nudge and pitch you might find yourself unable to sync a track and play it, therefore the grid correction comes in handy. It's not something that should be there 100% of the time stealing space from your screen, but it should be available quickly when it's needed.

Julia O 0 votes

"Are you talking about being able to shift the beat grid of analyzed songs? If so, this function is available in Export & Performance mode. As long as the analysis lock is not engaged. In Performance mode, you have to select it because it is hidden. Let's say a track is loaded in deck 1, under the #1 for that deck there is a drop down arrow. Click it and you will see "Pad mode, Memory Cue, & Grid". Select "Grid" and ensure the analysis lock is not engaged."

Well, That is a stupid place for it. It needs to be visible and ready. Upon further looking into this upgrade I will say that Pioneer NEEDS to go back to the drawing board on this one. Nice first try but lets see if you guys can bring this up to the standards that we expect from Pioneer. Especially if you want people to pay for this.

Twisted Knobs Music 0 votes

@Twisted Knobs > I don't feel there's anything wrong with where it's located in the performance mode. If you are having to change your beat grids during performances, more time should be spent preparing your tracks before the performance.

Pulse -1 votes

Sure but, that is not always the case. Besides, if you have to go through your catalog as much as I do (with adding or moving or deleting songs...etc) the info doesn't stay the same and re-analyzing the songs doesn't mean that the program is going to set the song(s) where you placed them manually. I have spent may a hour preparing my tracks and making sets on the old Rekordbox and those files have shifted or just didn't plain save right sometimes to my Flash Drives for My 2000 nxs. Not to mention it not properly saving my CUES and MEMORY points. This is a real problem within the program and now you want me to go looking for something that is very important to a performing DJ? I don't use the sync in my mixes or performances but the songs have be on point because I do a lot of looping and long blends, sometimes riding 3 songs at a time and I play all types of music not just EDM. Sure I can adjust from the CDJ but it is faster to do from Rekordbox, This an issue for me and not worth me paying for a start up program even if it is what I asked for. To me it's not Pioneer quality.

Twisted Knobs Music 2 votes

what about making the analysis a little more useful before telling us that we should spend (aka waste) more time in rb before the performance? i have loaded and analyzed 8 tracks to test rb 4.0, all of them have a steady electronic beat (house and techno) with a clear kick on the first beat of the track, the result was that 2 out of 8 had a wrong beatgrid (the first detected beat was way off in both cases). imho rb 4 is as bad as rb 2 when it comes to beatgridding. 2 out of 8 means 25% of wrong beatgrids.

Julia O 0 votes

How about trying out the new BPM ranges first? I've found them to be very accurate with D&B, which is notoriously difficult to grid.

Pulse -1 votes

As a rep of Pioneer and releasing new software, I feel your comment above on telling a dj how he or she should go about his djing is out of line and not very professional. Are you creating this software for yourself or for sale? You need to listen to customer requests and work around their needs . At least if you plan on djs using this software over the competition.

Troy Townsend (Dj Troy) 2 votes

Pulse, not every DJ does things the same way, Currently Rekordbox is horrible at phrasing, 8 out of 10/times it says blue market where it should the the red downbeat of a phrase. I don't preplan my sets, and without proper beatgridding, any software effect, sequences, loops or slicer wil be off . I have a large library and Constantly used the ability to edit a beatgridding during a set when I loaded up a track that was maybe off a tad. And Truthfully, Traktor has made it so easy to edit while performing that I find myself editing beatgridding as they are loaded to be played instead of having to dedicate hours on hours to beatgridding . Fox the issues with Beatgridding and downbeat recognition during analysis and we won't be having this conversation any longer. But until Beatgrid analysis is better, djs are going to be editing them manually.

Troy Townsend (Dj Troy) 0 votes

Why should you have to prepare a track for a performance unless you are using something like ableton,it's dj equipment not producer software,on the cdj 1000s and 1210's did you have to analyse a track and play with beatgrids? .....no because there was no software making a complete boll##ks of it and giving you extra work to do,cd,vinyl USB ,(straight on decks straight into it).rekord box .......(spend hours adjusting beatgrids just to mix)sicko pioneers excuses.

Chris Longman 0 votes

Sorry in advance,  but I created an account on this forum (after years of browsing) just so I can reply to this thread:

I just purchased the XDJ-rx .  I know its been out for over a year.  I'm just failing to understand how and WHY is Pioneer giving short and unapologetic responses here?

It's only been 2 weeks since Ive had my XDJ and ive already swapped it out for a brand new one because my Left tempo slider is messed up.

I call it a pitch fader because I do not sync whatsoever. So I might as well cover the screens after i load my song ..I truly enjoy using my ears in VINYL mode...and keeping it that way.

However, it's nice to know that I will have a visual representation of my grid sometimes (sadly without the Needle drop feature..

I have to search using the table and the search button) I've come to accept that 1500 dollars gets you this with only a 'few' problems here..and it's ok because "Pioneer is the best" but then we have this new issue that I just can't wrap my head around.  It's almost Two-Thousand-Almost-Seventeen (20almost17)  and RB  can't recognize bpm and time signature changes?!?!?!

Ableton's warping feature (or something similar) needs to be adapted.

If RB is a different entity from you guys -->(PIONEER)  you should probably sue them (RB) with a fat case of 'Ends not met'  because that software is (cute ..but) a huge fail for now.  

Lets not even talk about how you are ignoring your customers for now.  If you can't afford to do research and development at this given moment, it's ok to let us know :P  We wanna support you and your products.

On that note: It's my birthday in April , so please shut me up with a free RMX-1000 ? :D 

-z

Zan Abid 0 votes