Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

10 followers Follow

Recordbox bpm and drifting

I have used over 2 years CDJ/DJM setup and never had beatmatch problems. Now im using DDJ RZ and i have to nudge track allmost all the time even when the BPM is same as the playing track. Also Pitch in DDJ RZ feels its not accurate at all compare to rekordbox compatible CDJs. Its not fun really makes hard  doing live mashups with 3-4 deck mode when tracks drifts out of beat.... 

Sami Haapamäki

Post is closed for comments.

50 comments

Makes no difference (And why should it...)

The best I can get to is 0.06BPM and thats using 6% pitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW8wA39Zofw

If I switch to 10% (which I usually need to) then it goes in 0.09 - 0.11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaujj74DQyc

The pitch fader has to move quite some way to register a change too, a little nudge won't affect the numbers at all. My Denon MC6000 on Traktor could get right into the hundredths.. 

H3X 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Well firstly, I don't want to have to use 6% mode....

I'd like to be able to drill down to 0.02 or better, so I don't need to ride the pitch all the time. Traktor can handle this just fine...

If that truly is a high resolution pitch fader in there, there should be no problem.

H3X 0 votes

There is a little button you can press that will do a wonderful job of synchronizing the tempo of all your decks...

Pulse 0 votes

Yes and then good luck when you get to the club and they only have a CDJ 1000 that you need to beatmatch by yourself.

Ok, to put it in perspective, I just bought a DDJ-RB for my girlfriend - and her pitch fader has exactly the same resolution! (Ie goes in 0.1 or 0.07 depending on the pitch range setting).

This certainly doesn't seem right - the DDJ-RZ should have a much better scope.

H3X 0 votes

I've had this problem since I got my DDJ RX summer 2016...
One way of getting the BPM in 128.009 format is to hit spacebar / browse your tracks in full screen, but the pitch-fader isn't accurate enough to beatmatch both tracks to lets say 128.000, one usually becomes 128.002 and 127.99 or something similar, not 100% sure...

"Pulse" from Pioneer in this thread is telling is to use sync button, but this is not acceptable.
The usage of the sync button is regarded as something a crappy DJ would do, and if I saw a DJ use sync in a club / during a set I would kind of lose alot of respect for that person...

If this is a hardware limitation you need to patch it in the software, so that it rounds up to 128.01, 128.02 etc, because this is not acceptable...

I came from traktor DJ, and there was not this kind of problem there, I have to adjust the jog alot of the time and it sounds bad alot of the time in rekordbox...

FIX THIS PIONEER, ALOT OF PEOPLE DEMAND THIS!!!!!
NO MORE EXUSES AND NO MORE SYNC BUTTONS!!!!

Petter Larsson 0 votes

Perhaps the people who want to pitch match without master tempo would appreciate this feature. Key mixing, while an advanced technique, is used by a fair few DJ's I know personally and this lack of precision on the DDJ-RZ pitch fader is annoying to say the least.

Daniel 0 votes

@Petter > You're using software to DJ. Should we all "lose respect" for you?

Do you live in a house that was built entirely by hammer and hand-saw or did the carpenter use any kind of power tools?

Guess what? Sync is a power tool. It simplifies one of the tasks of the DJ (in this case, beatmatching), and allows you more time to focus on the crowd, your track selection, mixing, effects, live additions (eg. TORAIZ SP-16), etc.

Don't tell me any DJ who uses sync is less of a DJ than one who doesn't, because we can fight this argument all the way back to "any DJ who doesn't use pure vinyl isn't a real DJ," and even that argument is stupid.

Pulse 0 votes

@Pulse, come on, that is just weak and not really addressing the matter.

Are you saying that RBDJ is not designed to work 100% unless 'sync' is engaged (as this seems to be your stock reply to folks that questions the pitch drift etc...).

I'll copy this link to the main PioneerDJ page and see if we get any more of a constructive response (not holding out much hope).

K

Kvaldini 0 votes

And that's the real problem. This shouldn't be a discussion about whether you should use sync or not. 

And to be honest Pulse, it's such a small adjustment and would make a lot of people happier. A programmer could fix this in under 15 minutes...

Could we get a constructive answer this time, instead of "use Sync"?  

Vurrnn 0 votes

Pulse seriouisly, you're a Pioneer employee and we're your customers, you're not paid to sit and discuss whether or not we should use the sync button, we're describing the problem very detailed and giving you feedback but you ignore it, and I told you specifically in my last post that I wanted no more excuses and no more sync button...

If I was your manager and saw these posts I wouldn't think this was acceptable, you're going off topic and ignoring our complaints and telling us to use bad shortcuts around them, not cool at all.

Just like Kvaldini I'll try to send this thread to some other parts of your support system, and maybe they will take it seriously. SMH.

Petter Larsson 0 votes

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't use sync, all I'm suggesting is it's better at perfectly matching those really fine BPMs. Our engineering team is aware of this issue and as has been stated elsewhere, they are working to improve the resolution of the hardware pitch faders in order to give a tighter accuracy on the software.

Pulse 0 votes

Thank you for your reply Pulse.

But in all honesty I am wondering why do they focus on the pitch fader resolution.
This problem is simply solved by adding 1 decimal to the BPM display in horizontal view.

It's all ready in the software as you know in the vertical view. Should be a minor fix as stated in my previous post.

Vurrnn 0 votes

But just because the decimal isn't showing doesn't mean it's not being calculated.

And yes, we've reported that to the rekordbox team but have been told it will take a GUI rework in order to accommodate that change.

Pulse 0 votes

Hi there

It's now 1/6/17 and I was wondering if Pioneer are going to fix this anytime soon?

It too is bothering me and I have to agree with all the comments here.

Solution: Just bring it back to 1 decimal place. Just like the cdjs. SO you can only see 124.0 124.1 124.2 123.9 ect ect

That would help solve the drifting no?

Please @Pulse Don't suggest pressing sync again. You must DJ EDM ;)

Thanks guys!

Track ID 0 votes

@Track ID > Clearly you have no idea what kind of DJ I am ... I play everything! And yes, I beatgrid my tracks properly and don't have a problem with any drift when sync'd.

Pulse 0 votes

@Pulse

How do you have a job :P hahaha

But please can you address this again with your Dev team. Or what is the current status with this issue. Clearly there is an issue.

Yes if you beat grid and properly and then press the sync button... even a 3 year old can DJ. Have a look at this video on Britain's Got talent.. rather funny. Or DJ's like Steve Aoki who are putting on more of a show then being a 'DJ". But for people who want to truly mix there is an underlying issue here.

So in summary Pulse please tell me what is the status.... or point me to someone who can assist

Track ID 0 votes

No status available.

I'll point you to Mark, and he'll point you back to me.

Thanks for your patience.

Pulse 0 votes