Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

8 followers Follow

Best USB 128gb

Hi I'm currently using sandisk ultra 64gb, as I'm now using cdjs and not the rx I'm wanting more space.... whats the best 128gb stick to use.... had no problems with the sandisk but wondering if they're a solid 128gb stick out there that people are using?

Steve Mcintyre

Official comment

NOT Sandisk. I'd recommend another brand with high performance models, such as Corsair, Patriot or PNY. Whatever you do, DO NOT buy the cheap model/series. Even with that amount of storage, and at a premium price point, there are crappy "economy" models which employ lower quality memory control chips that can be a nuisance and not worth the amount you're looking to spend. Drop a few $$ more and get something that will tear the pants off the USB speed limit.

Pulse
Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.

33 comments

Steve, I recently got myself a Kingston HyperX 128GB.
The export speeds via USB3C (USB3) on my MacBook 12" is incredible.
It has not given any problems and is snappy when used on my CDJ's.

I agree with Pulse, do NOT get cheap budget Flashdrives as their performance are so slow you must have A LOT of patience when exporting large amount of files vir Rekordbox.
I previously used the Kingston DataTraveler G4 (128GB & 64GB) and man they are so slow.

I quickly did a test copying a playlist onto both flashdrives.
With the 128GB DataTraveler it took an average of 19minutes.
With the 128 HyperX it took about 3 minutes!!
I took the average of 3 tests each and also formatted the drives clean each time...

I still feel Rekorbox has to improve significantly with their speeds of exporting, updating collection's etc...

Armand 0 votes

What about Corsair Survivor? Seems to be very good...(seems)

Jacox 0 votes

Im also interested in Corsair 128gb, anyone using them or recommend any other 128gb sticks?

Thanks

elastic1 0 votes

I will modify my original response -- the SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB unit I've been testing has been found to not only work quite well but be one of the fastest in my testing, plus it's in the middle of the price range. The lower-performance SanDisk drives are still on my "weary" list.

The Corsair Survivor / Survivor Stealth (some models / sizes) have been problematic with certain units.

Pulse 0 votes

Thanks Pulse, thats great info, appreciate your advice on this.

In terms of speed, from what I've seen online, the corsair flash voyager GS or GTX?

This article is interesting, it suggests the SanDisk Extreme Pro 128 to be the slowest of the tested drives - http://www.everythingusb.com/fast-flash-drives.html 

Any thoughts or advice on others? 

Thanks 

elastic1 0 votes

I have yet to compile all the results from this drive test I had users join in, and I have a video on the editing desk reviewing a half-dozen drives from that test, but yes - the GTX absolutely PWNS for read-speeds, but surprisingly the write speeds of the Extreme Pro were slightly faster in my testing, and half the price. I read that article and I completely disagree with his Lexar P20 results; mine showed it to be quite a bit slower in both r/w tests.

Pulse 0 votes

Are the read speeds good with the extreme pro and the CDJ 2000's nxs / nxs2?

My concern is plugging the USB in and then browsing my playlists being sluggish and slow.

The extreme pro is my preferred one at the moment i think because of a few people suggesting it such as yourself and others, that speaks volumes in my book.

elastic1 0 votes

Keep in mind that the read capacity of the drive will exceed the bandwidth of the player (a USB3 drive can read much faster than the USB2 system can transit data), although the access times of a faster drive will make the response snappier when browsing large collections, and track loading will be quicker.

Pulse 0 votes

So the faster the read time the better?

I'm looking at getting a 128gb extreme pro usb, and i'd have about 100gb on it of music.

How would browsing/loading be on a CDJ 2000 nxs/nxs2 with that?

elastic1 0 votes

For comparison, I have an old Lexar FireFly 32GB USB2 which is incredibly slow at initial connection, but once it's loaded, navigating tracks and loading them is just fine, only slightly slower than faster drives, especially when wheeling away through the main collection screen (with all tracks).

For me, having a massively fast write speed is critical to keep my export times low!

Pulse 0 votes

I don't have USB 3.0 on my laptop so there's no advantage atm for me having super fast write times. I'd like to see the read write times of these 3.0 sticks at their 2.0 speed.

elastic1 0 votes

@elastic1 > There is, because eventually you'll upgrade your computer! ;)

The write speeds of the drives exceed the maximum throughput of USB2, so they'd be writing at virtually the maximum of 40MB/s.

Pulse 0 votes

that one i can't find read/write speeds on which in most cases means it is slowwwww

BriChi 0 votes

Im using a san disk 128gb extreme pro, id recomend that for sure. 

Read and write speeds seem quick to me.

elastic1 0 votes

How about this one? Says up to 180mbs read / 50mbs write?

The Sandisc Extreme is far too big...

Could anyone link me up with a 32 or 64 gig MAXIMUM read / write speed USB please?

I want the best one, but I don't want massive memory.

BP6 0 votes

I see I posted a year ago about the HyperX and I got myself another one (the new red one)  a month ago and I can not see getting any other brand any time soon.

128Gb sticks.

Speeds of those sticks are insane, but beware you will never get near any of those speeds due to the way Rekordbox exports your files... Takes FOREVER!!!  (This is via USB3.1)

Armand 0 votes

I can honestly recommend the SanDisk Extreme Pro, but can't vouch for any of their other models.

Pulse 0 votes

Gah - the PNY Turbo USB3 I have is garbage. Reads fine, write speed is sh*t.

Pulse 0 votes

I had a PNY previously, worked great actually, the Patriot one I have now is giving me issues so im tryin PNY again. Ill have it later today, i'll keep ya posted

BriChi 0 votes

im getting around 220 write and 400 read give or take a few

BriChi 0 votes

...can anyone recommend THE best usb?
Theres a lot of talk here, but no solid answer to the question.

Low Capacity is fine. I just need to know the most reliable/fastest read n write...

BP6 0 votes

THE BEST I have tested myself are the SanDisk Extreme Pro and the Corsair GTX. Fastest on the market.

Pulse 0 votes

Why would other sandisk usbs not be recommended please?
Is it because they are too slow loading? Or crash because they cant load?

Im just trying to solve why my usbs randomly crash... wether i need to fromt £80 for an Extreme Pro, or Corsair GTX.

I know plenty of djs use budget Sandisk usbs with no issues at all.

Also, would it lessen the chance of crashing, and improve loading time, if i converted all files to mp3?

BP6 0 votes

- slower (THIS IS THE #1 REASON!)

- less reliable

- previously problematic

And yeah, they are worth the money. I'm never going back to a conventional hard drive for the fact a solid-state drive is SOOO much faster, even if it's more expensive and has a smaller capacity. The money saved in not waiting around (plus peace-of-mind knowing there's no moving parts) is well worth the investment. Same thing goes for USB drives. I did a shoot-out of a variety of USB3 drives and it's incredible how much faster good quality drives are, even if a manufacturer claims "high speed!" it doesn't mean squat if they're comparing that to the other crappy and slow drives in their line.

Pulse 0 votes

Does anyone know what the Rekordbox Iphone app is like in comparison to a top end USB?

I have seen people use their iphone on a cdj nxs. And wondering if its high performance, with it being apple?

I cant seem to find any information on it!

BP6 0 votes

Very slow. Transfer is over wireless and it won't export wav or aiff. Try it for yourself but it takes forever.

BriChi 0 votes