Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

3 followers Follow

Sorting songs in the list of harmonic key.

Question for Pioneer DJ . 
Do you plan to introduce the sort function by key harmonic or
Camelot wheel as they have in Serato and Traktor ? It just so
happens that I have these two programs and recordbox DJ I like
the most , but .. lack of this feature is unacceptable .
Łukasz Kobyliński

Please sign in to leave a comment.

14 comments

here is exactly how I organise my files, please look at how I have done it yes it requires a bit of work but damn it just works well, u sound like a noob use ur brain instead of gettin dj software to do all the work. 

Leewardlaw -3 votes
Comment actions Permalink

see where I have keys, I have them organised as in what is harmonically compatible with each key, each key has 8 compatible keys, the root, the fifth, the forth, the relitive minor/major,semitone up/down, tone up/down. Use ur brain its why its there, be inventive and stop coming on here looking for answers to questions that u have the answer too and think outside the box, and damn boy learn ur music theory

Leewardlaw -3 votes

This is your point of view. I do not have time to get in the way to organize my files. secondly, that purpose I bought a controller to now learn the theory of harmonic music. after all, the program analyzes the songs so it's probably not a problem to add such a function?

Łukasz Kobyliński 1 vote

@Łukasz : the XDJ-RX has it... nicely sorted and even if you're sorted on bpm, they appear on the display in another color. For those working with Rekordbox software, you can sort on that column? Even intelligent playlists based on key.

@Leewardlaw: Breathe In ...Breathe Out :-) We are here to help each other as dj friends.

Christophe Platteeuw 1 vote

At this point in rekordbox DJ you can sort alphabetically by key but that does not make any sense. Key colors are also good, as I mentioned earlier competitive programs have all these features.

Łukasz Kobyliński 0 votes

Its a pretty good point of view at that, u do not learn music theory from dj software, or controllers u learn it thru looking it up. Organising is the difference between a good set and an absolute stonker of a set. Its annoying the whole industry the whole out look I want to press a button which will tell me what to play next. 6 days mixing one or two half days sourcing tracks and organising. The art of djin is dying, people do not use their brains. Minus 2 votes really doesn't put me up or down really, this is all coming from a musicians point of view, its okay while others are producing mediocre sets (that all sound the same same tunes same stuff cos they use same techniques) mines will stand out and draw the listener in

Leewardlaw 0 votes

the three things when considering music, timbre (instruments etc sounds elements, tone/key, feeling ) if people wanna go buying expensive stuff and be like oh I can mix cos it tells me what to play dad on, but tbh my mentor (who has djeed with some big names in the industry) would right now be looking at this, and thinking, wow people are lazy. Its interesting looking at soundcloud and how many of these sets really lack any real feeling behind them or work is outstanding. Don't be lookin to dj if u cannot put the work in, u really think the work is playing out, is it heck, why u think alot of dj's earn 40 k a year, cos it is a full time job, the work comes b4 u even touch a deck, the prep of library and the track sourcing is the work, the set is the result.

Leewardlaw 0 votes

for the most part you're right. I'm a little lazy, but just for this purpose do not take on events turntables. which does not change the fact that they do not use at home for pleasure. I'm not such a dj like you. I expected something quite different from the software. just it has to be easy to play. no longer work in the clubs, I have company, and supports various events, at the same time supports large lighting so you understand why the organizing and learning is I do not need?

It ain't about anyone being better than anyone its about sense, it is only as hard as u make it, software is easy vinyl well thats a different league. Everything has a learning curve, u need to learn in order to be better at what u do. If u spread urself to too many things u become a jack of all trades and not excel at any if that is what u wanna do its what u wanna do. I am a bedroom dj, pure and simple but research what I wanna do and come up with own ideas to suit me. That organising I did Is really easy, and takes little time, all I do is when I get new tracks, (smart playlist new adds) I then click the sort by key in the new adds smart playlist and tick the my tag config and select what applies, so on and so forth it takes very little time but damn it does help. Or as someone mentioned create smart playlists, but u face the same problem again having to use a filter again for all ur genres, there are more genres than keys so it makes sense. It ain't about who's better than who but coming on here and pretty much saying u wanna do no work atall is just abit naive. Seriously nowadays software, its easy there ain't nothing hard about it, the only hard thing about it is making it work for you, now really thr 2 minus really really shows how annoyed people are by me telling the truth, the industry is a joke, kiss arse buy expensive gear let it do all the work. Not even mentioning the pay for a gig which seems to be some fad, screw it this is one of the many reasons I wanna make it cos I have had enough of like my mix and al be djin ibiza its a whole popularity of get to the top quick.

Leewardlaw 0 votes

too much on my head during events to think about what you wrote. on the other hand, buying controller software with the rules is going for a lazy play. if someone is ambitious CD players and CDs described is the best option. without sync and other facilities. the software does not tell me how I play but suggests, it gives guidance on key, tempo, etc.

VINYL RULES Lukasz :-) :-) :-)

I'm still hoping one day Pioneer will bring out something to burn on vinyl yourself :-)

No syncing, no quantizing, no loops, no waveforms ... Just happy oldskool.

Christophe Platteeuw 1 vote

unfortunetly, the vinyl burning route will not work, it would but no provide any sound advantages. Tbh if u were able to burn onto vinyl u would still be dealing with a digital sound not analogue. If u had a flac or wav then yes very possible to put onto vinyl and get a better sound quality but nothing vs true vinyl

Leewardlaw 0 votes

beatport pro and rekordbox dj are the best options working together, fast tagging in bpp and import the xml into rekordbox and use the facilities in rekordbox to create smart playlists. The max amount of smart playlists is 119 needs to be 200 to get any real 100% control over your collection

Leewardlaw 0 votes