Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

6 followers Follow

Controller for Rekordbox and serato

A friend of mine building a setup had a great question,

is there any controller out right now that is SeratoDJ licensed and can be used with Rekordbox for 2 different style dj's?

He wants to have a controller for Rekordbox but also be able to use serato for another DJ without having to use a SL box

BriChi

Please sign in to leave a comment.

13 comments

The best choice would be the Pioneer DDJ-SX2.Ten controller is ready to DVS and has a built-in analog mixer. Serato have a license assigned to the device. Just buy a license for recordbox DJ.

Łukasz Kobyliński 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

yeah, good call, originally i thought the user wanted multiple rekordbox guys too do pop in but it turns out ONLY he will be using rekordbox and he bout the plugin so he can get the SZ for the serato guys and also for him to us rekordbox DJ. 

Thank you

BriChi 0 votes

Just to elaborate on this just about every DDJ controller is compatible with both Rekordbox DJ and Serato DJ. Some are Serato DJ full (SZ, SX, SR) but the rest would require a SDJ license expansion.

Deejay Dave 0 votes

@Deejay Dave - I don't think so, the RZ and RX won't be supported from Serato, even if you have bought an license. So not every DDJ is compatible with both Rekordbox DJ and Serato DJ.

Gerald 0 votes

exactly, the RZ and RX cannot be used with serato unless you purchase the SL box to unlock the decks.

BriChi 0 votes

I don't understand - what do you mean with "unless you purchase the SL box" ? In my opinion there is no way to get RZ/RX working with Serato DJ.

Edit: ok SL isn't DJ, that was my misunderstanding. I was only aware of the "DJ" Software, not the "Scratch Live" version.

Gerald 0 votes

Of course there is. The RX and RZ can be used as external mixers as well. If it supportes external sources it can be used with SL boxes. I was hoping I didn't have to clear up the fact that I didn't mean the devices specifically made for Rekordbox DJ. I meant pre-existing DDJ controllers............ which is probably why I said "just about" instead of "each and every one ever made".

Let me edit your edit btw: SL does not stand for Scratch Live.......... SSL does.

The SL Brichi was refering to is one of the SL interfaces (SL2, SL3 or SL4) which can be used with SDJ OR SSL. The SL1 can ONLY be used with SSL. All of which work with any external source compatible device for example the DDJ-RX, RZ, SZ, SX, SX2 etc.

To make things simple these are what works with Rekordbox DJ https://rekordbox.com/en/products/rekordboxdj/function.php

These are what work with SDJ https://serato.com/hardware/all/controllers/pioneer

I really didn't think to put too much elaboration as I kind of thought this was common knowledge. Hopefully this clears everything up.

Deejay Dave 0 votes

yes its common knowledge but still doesn't make sense, If you plug a RZ into a laptop that has Serato DJ installed, it will not enable Serato DJ to be able to be used, that is what I was looking for

the only way to get this to work the way i want is to buy a SX or SZ so it enables Serato DJ when you plug it in AND can also run REKORDBOX DJ "IF" you have the plus pack license

BriChi 0 votes

The answer is DDJ-SZ or DDJ-SX2. The advantage of the SZ would be that it has two USB ports to connect two computers simultaneously.

And yes, you can run both Serato DJ and rekordbox (one on each computer) at the same time.

Pulse 0 votes

thank you Pulse, That definitely seems to be the best route. 

BriChi 0 votes

Dear Pioneer,

Please make a controller that replicates the Denon MCX8000, but much better and have Rekordbox built in with 4 USB ports, two on each side of the deck. Plus Serato DJ and Pitch N Time included. This would make my life much more joyful as a DJ!

Thank you for your consideration.

Cheers,

Mar1po5a

Vanessa Mariveles 0 votes

Hi,
I am looking to purchase a new controller. I want it to be Serato and Recordbox compatible. Is the DDJ-SZ the latest controller of this style? Or, has there been a newer model release?

DJ Danza 0 votes

@Danza > The SZ2 is newer, but doesn't rekordbox doesn't support it.

Pulse 0 votes