Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

6 followers Follow

Find Missing File Manager? Confused: Correct Files Greyed Out

Maybe there's something I'm missing with the find missing file manager in rekordbox. I'm not sure if I've ever been able to make it work, as I've always just reimported the same file then removed the missing file from collection after that. Unfortunately causing me to reset cue points and loops etc. So I get the option to find the missing file, I do a search for the missing file and I can find it but it is greyed out. No option to replace the file or "choose it". I'm sure it could be a small technical fix that I'm missing. Any tips? I've attached an image to this post below

Dominic Carter

Please sign in to leave a comment.

21 comments

Also I noticed that if I try to manually go through EACH individual folder to find the track then I get the option once I find the file to select it. Seems a bit tedious when you can just search for the exact track name that you're looking for? (But in this particular case I cannot because everything is greyed out within search). With iTunes each song is packed inside a million folders so doing this for each song will become very repetitious. Is there any sort of master relocate option to just look through master iTunes/Media folder ?

Dominic Carter 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Discovered something else as well. After searching for the file and actually finding it. It is greyed out until I hit control then "quick look". After quick looking the file magically becomes available to select. Still confused right now...

Dominic Carter 2 votes

@Dominic > I can't help but notice in the first post, you show the selected (missing) file in the library as:

We Found Wombass (Starjack Future Remix) (Clean - Extended)

But your search in the Finder only shows:

We Found Wombass (...Carter Extended Edit)
We Found Wombass (...ean w/ Heavy D Intro)

Neither of those seem to me to be an exact match. Can you confirm?

And let me first suggest you stop allowing iTunes to manage your music folder locations - it does nothing but screw around with the files / folders. You can change this in the iTunes preferences (Advanced).

Pulse 0 votes

Yes. you're right. Any little small change I make to id3s ...it can lead to "missing file" - This happens in Serato as well. I have a systematic way to do things to avoid this but it is not perfect

a) download music

b) drop into itunes

c) change id3 information by labeling genre & grouping columns properly

d) drag into mixed in key

e) then analyze & set cue points in serato 

f) analyze and set cue points in rekordbox

Sometimes if I go back and make any changes I try to make those changes within the DJ software I am using like rekordbox or serato.

I eventually found the file I was looking for. Sometimes the reload tag button doesn't update accordingly but that's maybe because the file was missing? And like the 2nd posts say ...for some reason everything remains greyed out until I do the "quick look".

Changing the music folder? iTunes Media Folder location? Or the "keep iTunes Media Folder organized"? I read something briefly here in the forums about that when I was trying to search for any posts about this find missing file manager.

Dominic Carter 1 vote

Hey there.

Using rekordbox 4.05 on a Macbook with El Capitan. Surprisingly, I have the 100% same problem as described above by Dominic. Also, when I search for tracks, some of them cannot be found because I changed the Filename, Folder, Tags etc. Until now, my fault, my problem.

But then, when I manually search for the missing files, they are greyed out. I can only "find" the missing tracks again when I manually select the folder in which the track is located and select the track I was looking for (no single track greyed out then, but this is a lot of work if you have big folders with a lot of music in them) OR WHEN I PRESS QUICK LOOK. It sounds ridiculous but as I said before, exactly the same problem as described above.

I'm not using iTunes folders, so this can't be an iTunes related problem. I store my tracks in folders either on my desktop or on an external hard drive (FAT format). 

Really curious on how to fix this, as this problem is - speaking bluntly - not only creating "repetitious" work, but also very annoying.  

Erik Veenstra 0 votes

@Dominic, if you found a solution for this in another way than using this forum (Pioneer didn't seem very keen on answering, at least to me) please share it with me! That would be great. :)

Erik Veenstra 0 votes

@Erik > You posted the first comment 23 minutes ago and a reply 2 minutes later ... how is it we're not keen in answering?

Is the file shown as missing or only greyed-out?

Pulse 0 votes

Erik - What I've concluded is that you have to make mp3 id3 tag changes within the program you prioritize for DJing or else you will undoubtedly get missing file errors. The quick look method is the only way I see for the find missing file option (to open file) to not be greyed out. So again. If you make id3 changes to your songs by using iTunes. Then chances are 99% of the time you'll get missing file error. There's no sort of refreshing within the program (that I know of) which will update the tag changes properly because in theory it's tied down to the "path". I'm sure there is some sort of workaround that requires some sort of iTunes surgery and knowledge within the settings of letting iTunes "manage" your files/keep files organized etc but that ends up being a headache for anyone not extremely tech savvy.  Pulse: while I've got you on the phone (haha) 1 of my biggest issues is the hot cue, memory cue, loops information not being saved as metadata within the mp3. it relies on the database file. If that file gets lost: we're all pretty much screwed. I really hope for some sort of implementation of this in the future. Starting over with your playlists is a headache but starting over with setting cue points, loops and other data from scratch is just a pure nightmare. Right now I'm in the process of re-tagging all my files so that I see the most important information first because of the lack of the vital information being able to be displayed at once on the CDJ screens. Song titles end up being too long so I have to wait for them to scroll across in order to know which remix it is or which version of the song it is (clean , dirty,  dirty - intro , clean - intro). I'm switching the intro tag to the beginning so I can do the preliminary guess work that it's the intro version I'm playing. DJing and choosing songs quickly we need to see that vital information of which version we are playing fast. A workaround is sorting by alphabet and not bpm.. you get to see more information on the CDJ screen but then it's out of a good order for sorting and playing. most of us will sort by bpm but we loose a lot of screen real estate and song title information by the artwork on the left and wasted space on the right. You also get a tad bit more song title information if you sort by bpm and then click the info button but then the right side gets cluttered a bit w/ too much information. I think a better font size (AND the option to select font size) and better use/ implementation of the screen's real estate for vital information like song titles would help us not feel pressured to use a laptop when DJing. Laptop is always easier on the eyes because of the vast information provided. Sorry for the digression but really hoping for this.

Dominic Carter 0 votes

@Dominic > Backup, backup, backup. If you're not using TimeMachine or a service like Backblaze, you're asking for problems. Personally, I carry a mirror of my external drive which houses my library and database, and I have that included on a desktop backup, my TimeMachine, and a copy in Backblaze. I don't leave things to chance with my music.

The work-around should be for you to use the additional fields to tag them with a colour or keyword for "clean," "intro," or "dirty" so you can see them without relying on the end of the title to scroll along, that would also allow you to filter the tracks.

Pulse 0 votes

Yes I use time machine/time capsule but still small changes to certain things still amount to having to input all that information all over again. Regardless of backup. When you move files around and etc having to worry about if certain information comes trotting along with you if you follow every single cautious step rather than just saying - "well at least I don't have to worry about that because it's embedded within the file". Just curious why this would be a difficult feature? I can name 2 other DVS that currently allow this. While they still have a database file as well ...the database file doesn't lock the meta data for cues , loops in it. It's the little things that are the big things. I've used serato for almost a decade now but have tried to make the full transition to rekordbox and rekordbox DJ but it's these types of things of feeling that I can't essentially "bulletproof" my collection and my countless hours of hard work setting cues, loops, that makes me cautious about fully transitioning. 

I understand what you're saying by the additional fields workaround but song title information is pretty vital and should of standard importance by this point I would think? 

With that said I haven't used a laptop to DJ in about 6 months now & it's been pretty great. But I did recently try this HID mode in rekordbox DJ the other night just to test it out for a few minutes. Really interesting concept on how it doesn't really rely on a hub nor USB breakout box like Scratch Live and goes directly in. Only confusing aspect was having to download the aggregator tool which I hope comes automatically pre implemented in future updates of rekordbox DJ.. 

sorry i'm so bad with my two and half cents! lol. thanks for the quick response as always Pulse. You rock!

Dominic Carter 0 votes

Simply put, rekordbox doesn't work that way - the database is external because too much data would get crammed into the audio file, possibly corrupting it or making it larger in file size. Not to mention, not every audio file has a meta data area capable of handling that kind of additional information. The ID3 standards of an MP3 (as an example) are well defined, and there is no place for analysis data, never mind in a WAV which has NO official support of metadata AT ALL, even though there are some unofficial tags supported in the document header.

Use the additional fields, you'll find them much easier, trust me.

Pulse 0 votes

I'm having the "Greyed Out" search fields as mentioned in this thread (Although not "Actually" answered from what I can tell).

I have moved laptops and am trying to restore from the back up of my other lappy.

I get the "exclamation Mark" letting me know that the track can;t be found. I direct it to the location butyl the search results are "Greyed Out".

Apologies for hijacking this thread but if you have found A simple answer I love to know what it is.

All the best

Ian Jones 0 votes

Hi Ian, If you are using a Mac I hit control and select quick look option on the file that is greyed out. For some strange reason after you quick look and play the file from the search area when searching for missing file, it becomes selectable instead of greyed out. That has been the time consuming trick for a while for me now. If that works please let me know! 

Dominic Carter 0 votes

Thanks so much man!
I was starting to lose my mind =P

All the best!

Ian Jones 0 votes

We don't recommend using the search to find it -- if you've moved it, you should know where it was moved to. If you don't know why / where your files are being moved around, you might want to look into that as a bigger problem.

Pulse 0 votes

Pulse? I'm confused at this response? How does one know the exact physical location of each file/song? Especially in the case of iTunes when it's contained in a million levels of sub folders. I would think that the search is the best way to find the song based on the name of the track? I run into this issue as I prepare for multiple platforms. Serato, Rekordbox DJ. I make changes in a sequential order below & still run into issues

1) Download Songs

2) Drag Into iTunes

3) Make all the necessary id3 changes: Song title, Genre Name to what I think is perfect & will no longer make changes to.

4) Run all of the newer tracks into mixed in key

5) Open Serato and add cue points, or sometimes in the case of no bpm serato will automatically analyze and populate that 

6) close serato and open up rekordbox. I used to drag & drop new tracks from serato but now I just refresh the iTunes bridge portion and import all new files to collection and set cue points from there.

Feature suggestions/requests/brainstorming/overall thoughts: If I make the slightest change to a song title / genre in another program outside of rekordbox like serato or iTunes. I'll get a missing file. (The same would happen if I make a change in rekordbox, Serato will get a missing file) I can't remember each and every change even for how meticulous I am in doing everything in a sequential order. Sometimes your feelings change about a songs energy/genre description etc. But I understand no program has been able to automatically refresh to the latest iTunes changes. (Well Serato does that with the read from iTunes function.) Hmm... will something similar happen where all playlists from iTunes can be read without any alterations? Serato has no way to refresh the library on the fly until you re-open the program. I like that rekorbox has a refresh button for the library. I used the read from iTunes function for years mainly because it gave me the confidence that I'll NEVER ever get a missing file. Because everything is always based on the latest id3 changes. But with doing that you miss out on key features of crates and playlists within serato and rekordbox. Like the ability to drag & drop each playlist where you want & with serato crates are very visible and distinguishable compared to iTunes playlists that are being read

Dominic Carter 0 votes

@Dominic > Easy ... DO NOT let iTunes manage the location of your music and that will never happen.

Pulse 0 votes

Pulse: I understand what you're saying but it's still somewhat going against the grain. Even for people as nerdy as me, I still use the default settings in iTunes...Which in that particular case "Keep Media Folder Organized" is checked by default. This is going to be case for thousands of other users as well. Wouldn't it be best to cater to the majority in the most user friendly way possible? You may think it's as simple as ticking a box but it really just isn't the case for most people that have no clue what they are doing or build their life around iTunes for the other platforms / eco systems (iPhone, iPad, Apple Tv etc)  - I would essentially have to copy every single track I have into genre based folders and start all over. I have 66,000 songs in my library. Doing this is going to be an insanely lengthy process or might be deemed unrealistic at this current time.  - Also do you have any specific threads / knowledge base that you can point me to with your take on how users should manage their music?

Dominic Carter 0 votes

NEVER NEVER NEVER!

There is ABSOLUTELY NO NEED to let iTunes move files arbitrarily! You can still do everything you want within iTunes WITHOUT having it bastardize the music for other applications. Just UN-CHECK that box and move on to a better way of doing things.

Pulse 0 votes

I am also having this problem that the file is greyed out if I use the search bar and I don't let my collection be managed by iTunes, I also don't know all the location of the files. Can't rekordbox simply use spotlight to locate the file via the title and all find them automatically? or maybe make an option where if files get importet into the rekordbox lib, rekordbox automatically makes a copy in a of the file into a folder you can chose as your rekordbox music folder

Roland G 0 votes