Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

3 followers Follow

Rekordbox 4.0 with iTunes 12.3

I installed Rekordbox 4.0 on Win7 (64bit).  I have iTunes 12.3, current release.  I point Rekordbox to my iTunes .xml file and the songs appear in Rekordbox, but every single song (400+) has an error icon.  Hovering over the error icon indicates the file can't be found and prompts to relocate.  Once I confirm the location (which isn't wrong to begin with), I get a pop up window that the file format is not supported.  I've confirmed my iTunes songs are AAC encoded, and otherwise supported by Rekordbox.  

Out of the 400 songs I have, not all of them are .m4a (AAC) encoded, some are .mp3, yet Rekordbox gives me the same error for all iTunes audio files regardless of format. 

***  I discovered that if I copy the music files to a different location and import them to Rekordbox using the Explorer window, everything works fine.  All songs import and play.  Some cover art is missing, but I'll address that another time.  Still no idea what the problem is with Rekordbox reading the iTunes library file.

Brian Neiferd

Please sign in to leave a comment.

13 comments

Make sure you have iTunes set to share the XML file with other applications:

Are you selecting the iTunes library via the tree on the left or via the sync manager?

Pulse 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Yes, the "Share iTunes Library XML with other applications" box is checked.  

I select the iTunes library from the "iTunes" tree on the left side of the screen.

I updated to Rekordbox 4.1 today, but this had no effect on the problem.

As I stated above I can import my music if I copy all the files into a new folder and use the file explorer tree in Rekordbox to add them to my collection.  Technically this works but I would prefer to get the software working correctly.  The only other thing I can try is rebuilding my iTunes library file, which I will update the post if this solves the issue.

Brian Neiferd 0 votes

When you say "the file and song appear in rekordbox," where exactly is it that they "appear"? Can you walk me through your process so I might understand where the problem lies?

Pulse 0 votes

See picture above.  This is what I'm referring to.  I cannot play, analyze, or import songs from my iTunes library.  If I hover over the orange error icon, it says "File can not be found at the registered location.  Select "relocate" from the right click menu to register it again."  If I double click a song, I get this error "Can't load track. File format not supported."  

From here, if I select audio files, right click and "import to collection", I get an error message and a reference to a log file.  Here are the contents of the log file:

One or more files were not imported.
Track(s) were not imported due to the following possible reasons.
- The file path is longer than 255 characters.
- Invalid file format

Tracks that were not imported
/RACKSTATION/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/112/Pleasure & Pain/06 Nowhere.m4a

Brian Neiferd 0 votes

It's a local network, iTunes folder is on my NAS.  

As mentioned above I copied the audio files to a new location (independant of iTunes), imported them to Rekordbox, and everything works.  However the "new location" I copied them to is still a network folder on my NAS.  This lead me to believe the location of the files on the NAS was not the problem.

Brian Neiferd 0 votes

Yeah, that's the problem - they have to be local files; network paths are a problem in a few aspects with rekordbox. I believe most users have found making a local symlink is the best work-around.

Pulse 0 votes

Are you referring to the iTunes library .xml file?  Network paths work fine for me in Rekordbox for everything, except the location of the iTunes library file.   I guess that's the exception.  This defeats the purpose of having iTunes integration with Rekordbox, at least for me.  It's impractical for me to centrally manage my entire media library from a small laptop hard drive just so it's compatible with Rekordbox.  The best workaround for me will be to maintain a 2nd library of music files just for the Rekordbox software.  This will be a major pain but hopefully Pioneer will fix this bug in some future release.  Or at least post a note about this defect in the manual.

What is a symlink ?  None of my Pioneer products have this.

Brian Neiferd 0 votes

A symlink is a symbolic link within the filesystem, it's not a Pioneer thing. What you're basically doing is creating a "shortcut" from what looks like either a local folder or drive to a network location. You can Google instructions for creating one for your operating system.

Pulse 0 votes

i have the exact same issue except the logos by my tracks are red circles with a lone through them, they say the same thing, that the file is not supported, I'm far from a tech wiz and to be honest I've tried everything I've found related to this problem and none of them have made a difference whatsoever. Any simply explained help would be much appreciated.

Luke Barrett 1 vote

@Luke > The reason for that appearing is one of the following:

1) The content is not within iTunes, but rather, in the cloud (not downloaded to your computer).

2) The content is from Apple Music, and not actually a purchased song.

3) The content is DRM-protected and thus can't be played outside of iTunes.

4) The content is in a format not supported by rekrodbox, which is the least likely possibility since rekordbox generally supports most popular audio and video formats.

Can you figure out what the file-type and location is and let me know? Perhaps open iTunes, press Command+i and get some details from the info panel.

Pulse 0 votes

wait so my musics from itunes playlist cant be synced to rekordbox ??

One or more files were not imported.
Track(s) were not imported due to the following possible reasons.
- The file path is longer than 255 characters.
- Invalid file format
- Tracks not available in your country

Tracks that were not imported

this message is showing and i located the downloaded file on my computer

the format of the music is MPEG-4 (.m4p) and says protected.

i cant use these files ??

Paul Lee 0 votes

Sorry, an M4P file has DRM encoding and is not supported outside of iTunes.

Pulse 0 votes