Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

6 followers Follow

Audio output quiet? How to set levels?

Hi all,

I have a DDJ RX and use Rekordbox. When I play my music through iTunes it's significantly louder than through rekordbox even though I have the volume on max before it clips.

Any advice on how to set my levels correctly so it's not quiet but not clipping? 

Thanks

Sam Birtles Answered

Official comment

You can't compare the output from a program which bypasses the channel gain stage to the DJ application which goes through one of the channels.

I have measured the output levels when adjusting the master to compensate, and both rekordbox and iTunes will be at the same volume when the same levels are shown on the master meter. Yes, when using rekordbox I have to increase that level, but that's simply because the signal level coming through on one of the channels is lower, and I have to adjust the master to compensate, whereas the audio level directly through iTunes is higher (but can also be controlled through the volume slider in iTunes).

Pulse
Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.

18 comments

I'm having the same issue (see post: https://forums.pioneerdj.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/205117583-External-Mixer-Performance-Mode-Low-Output-Volume)

Except this occurs for me when using an external mixer (which I'm guessing you have selected the same?)

My channel gains need to be set much louder when playing through performance mode in Rekordbox compared to that of when I'm playing standard audio through the mixer.

I have not yet found a solution but would hope someone could get back to us :)

Bradley Cooper 0 votes

Hi,

I haven't really tried the internal mixer (not too sure what it is!) but I'll play about with levels and try.

I mean, I can get the volume 'close' to normal playing volume but the trim has to be through the roof (nearlly on max) and the level is borderline clipping which doesn't seem right. I also have to have the master volume (top right) on max.

Would be nice to hear from pioneer how to set it right.

Sam Birtles 0 votes

i have a xdj rx and have the same problem but Rekordbox dj software there is a autogain Function, when you have the auto Gain enabled you need to turn the trim on max.when you turn it off you can you use trim the normal way

Marvin Grönboldt 0 votes

I'll retry turning the "Auto-gain" off again. It didn't  really make much difference the other night when I tried it.

Thanks for at the input on this guys!

Ian Jones 0 votes

I wonder if having replay gain tag on the files affects the autogain or if RB even read those tags.

In any case, might worth the try.

Tiago Fortuna 0 votes

i remember a Mod from Pioneer said that Rekordbox dont read Mp3 Gain tag the only way to edit is with a program like audition

Marvin Grönboldt 0 votes

So is this the issue then - the gain tag in mp3's? I find it hard to believe, because when I play WAV/AIFF the output volume is still the same.

I'm surprised more people don't have issues relating to this

Bradley Cooper 0 votes

Can someone try a couple of mp3 or whatever format (1 with RG and another one without) and with and without autogain in preferences?

I'm under the impression autogain has an effect because, my ddj-sb2 VU metters differ from the master output on rekordbox and all my music has RG tag on the files.

Tiago Fortuna 0 votes

To whom wrote the "Official Comment" or whoever Pulse is. Why is it that Rekordbox is the only software where i have to ride the shit out of the gains to get the levels the same as a cd,vinyl, line in, Traktor or Serato ?

So if I'm comparing Traktor, Serator and Rekordbox in terms of signal levels, then yes "I [can] compare the output from a program which bypasses the channel gain stage to the DJ application which goes through one of the channels"

This is causing a huge issue, because when I flick from HID, back to usb/cd, I have to make sure my gain is nearly half the level, and it's only an issue with Rekordbox

Bradley Cooper 0 votes

@Bradley > That was me, and you should be adjusting your gain every time you load a track, regardless of the source.

Pulse -1 votes

I understand that, I have been playing records for a long time now, but Rekordbox level's are seriously out of range. Why is this the only software where I have to dial up the gain significantly ?

When I play rekordbox through the internal mixer, and have the audio output going through the same channel into my external mixer the overall output volume is perfect?

Bradley Cooper 1 vote

I agree, the disparity between the gains are massive.

And also Pulse, are you an employee of Pioneer?

The reason I ask is that I've followed your replies to a number of posts and I find your responses to be quite patronising and condescending.

I think most, if not all DJ's on this page should be treated as professionals unless otherwise stated, and that being the case a professional DJ they will understand the importance of gain/level balancing while they are mixing.

The issue is obviously beyond the realms of simple gain adjustment , so rather than talking to everybody as if they've just learned how to spell DJ, How about offering professional and helpful advice?

Ian Jones 0 votes

I have no affiliation with Pioneer or Pulse, I was simply replying to the patronising and condescending post from "Pulse", under the Op's opening thread, and to his reply to my post.

I think you might need to re-read the thread perhaps and follow the conversation as i think you are mistaking me for Pulse ?

This is the 2nd thread I've posted in.

Bradley Cooper 0 votes

Shit sorry Bradley I was meaning "Pulse"

Apologies for the confusion 

Ian Jones 0 votes

All good buddy, I had a feeling there dad a mix up as I'm no regular here haha. I also didn't like the attitude of the "official response", if that's as official as pioneer get, then I'll gladly ask for a refund on my rekordbox subscription

Bradley Cooper 0 votes