Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

7 followers Follow

Not ok Pioneer, not ok.

If a club owner wants to buy a DDJ-RX or a DDJ-RZ and he has 2 djs with 2 laptops, or a guest djs (ex. me) who mixes on cdjs and uses rekordbox for his music collection. How can they use the DDJ if the license belongs only to the owner?

With the old serato controller it was easy, just connected the controller and it worked...license in the controller, you won't lose anything if you that.

I mix on cdjs and use rekordox but if go to a club where they have a rekordbox controller....I have to buy a license just so I can mix using that controller?

This is just stupid, it's not like I can use the software with another controller...You should do something about this.

Anyway, for this situation (more djs and one controller) best solution is still the SX or SZ, right?

Prankie

Please sign in to leave a comment.

14 comments

https://rekordbox.com/en/support/link.php

Under link you can see what controllers supports Rekordbox dj. I think you dont have to buy license for each controller. Rekordbox currently supports only Pioneer controllers. I use Rekordbox DJ and DDJ-SX and works fine for me .Rekordbox works without controller too,just laptop.DDJ-SX is good controller as you said.

Dubrvko Posavec 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

I was talking about more djs using the same controller in a club

Prankie 0 votes

An owner with even the most minimal idea of what it takes to run a truly professional club and to book professional DJ's would always have standard CDJ900/2000 setup. Typically, controllers would be there per a booked DJ's personal rider, as by having a controller only would prove to be severely limiting, the reason you listed (license issues) being one of them.

lostnthesound 0 votes

@Theodor > I understand your frustration with the way the licensing has been set-up with rekordbox, however I will point out that Traktor operates in the same manner (licensing the user / computer, not the device).

I don't necessarily see a controller in a club being a bad thing (addressing @lostnthesound's comment), especially for a smaller venue, but if that's the case ... what are the DJs using at home to practice with? If they're already rekordbox DJs, and they want to be using rekordbox's performance mode, they'd need to have a controller or at the very least, a license.

Even if I knew a club I was going to work at had an SL box or Serato controller, I would likely own something compatible at home so I could practice and understand how the system works rather than simply having a copy of Serato to manage my music and that's it.

Pulse 1 vote

Good point @Pulse. I suppose I was focusing a bit more on the "big boy" venues rather than considering all sizes.

lostnthesound 0 votes

The club has an old serato dj intro controller, that's what the djs use, and what I used when I worked there. They don't practice at home, they go 2 hours earlier and practice new ideas there. I first sugested the RX because I use and support rekordbox and it would be easy for them to be prepared for bigger gigs in the future not having to rebuild playlists and set cue points again.

I get why you should buy the license for the old ddjs, but what are you losing if you put the license in the new rekordbox dj controllers?

And the Traktor example is bad, you pay for Traktor but you have the option to midi map any controller.

Anyway, he decided to go with the SX2.

Prankie 0 votes

I think you are mistaken something here I have DDJ-SR, XDJ-Aero, DDJ-SP1 and the club I play most at has DDJ-SX I can use RekordboxDJ with my computer on all those controllers and can use my computer on all supported RekordboxDJ hardware.Thats because my computer has a license. If you have a license version of RekordboxDj on your computer you can use it with all pioneer supported hardware. Serrate is the same it works with all supported hardware as long as the computer you use has a license.

You also need a license version of Traktor,VDJ, Mixvibe Cross for them to work. You have to have the license because it's you who is the DJ and you who are making money DJing

Gulli Johansen 0 votes

@Gulli Johansen - You have a Rekordbox Dj license on your computer and you can use any Pioneer controller, I have a Traktor Pro 2 license and I can use any controller. (Traktor license is also a few bucks cheaper, but that's not my point)

But with Serato...

Dj 1 has a Serato controller. Dj 2 wants to use that controller. Dj 2 goes to website and downloads Serato. Dj 2 plugs the controller to his laptop and Serato recognises the licensed controller and goes from preparation mode to mixing mode.

But with Rekordbox...

Dj 1 has a Rekordbox Dj controller. Dj 2 wants to use that controller. Dj 2 goes to website an downloads Rekordbox. Dj 2 plugs the controller to his laptop and nothing happens because you first have to buy your own license.

What am I mistaken?

Prankie 0 votes

Be honest, it seems waymore obvious that your license is software related and not hardware related. A controller is a controller. Compare it to a computer.  If you buy software (Windows, Office, ...) the license is also tied to that software, not to that computer. So if your computer crashes, you buy another one and re-install your licensed software.  

If your controller crashes, you borrow your friends controller and use your licensed software. Very weird licensing interpretation of Serato?!  Isn't it because you bought a controller with a free upgrade to Serato DJ? Why else would Serato sell software licenses if it were linked to one particular controller? Check here.

Christophe Platteeuw 0 votes

@Christophe Platteeuw - Yes, it seems obvious that the license is software related when there are no limitations (ex. Traktor)

"Compare it to a computer" I will compare it to a laptop, from windows 8 to windows 10 the license is on the chipset, Macs come with Mac OS, and you can instal Windows on them. But you can't buy Mac OS and install it on a Windows PC. They come as a pack

"If your controller crashes, you borrow your friends controller and use your licensed software." Yes, if you have Traktor. What if you have Rekordbox Dj and your friend does not have a Pioneer controller..You have the license to the software and you do what with it? You can't midi map other controllers.

"Why else would Serato sell software licenses if it were linked to one particular controller?"

Serato sells licenses for the cheaper Serato Intro controllers so that you can use them with the full features of Serato DJ. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RAfwV0nXOo

Pioneer could do the same, sell the license for the other ddjs or the cheaper ddjs, and work without license with the Rekordbox Dj controllers. 

Prankie 0 votes

@Theodor Rauta:

What if you have Rekordbox Dj and your friend does not have a Pioneer controller...

Yes, but the same goes for Traktor. Before I was using Traktor Pro with a Traktor S2 controller.  Actually I was quite happy with it.  But guess what, the S2 controller only works ... with Traktor.  That's why I bought an XDJ-RX.  This one works with Traktor and Rekordbox, and by using Rekordbox, you can even plug in your USB stick on a CDJ.  So, basically I've expanded my allround compatibility, right?

You have a point ... but that point is a problem in as well, RB, Traktor and Serato.

Christophe Platteeuw 0 votes

this may be why users may just stay the serato route, a club installs a serato box and anyone can use it that walks in, no license on the laptop needed, everyone knows this BUT now they put in a Rekordbox controller like the RZ and people will walk in and be screwed if they didn't purchased a monthly subscription or buy it outright. It will cause a lot of confusion i think.

It should have been done where when you plug in the RZ to any laptop, it opens up performance mode, My opinion of course but I think this would have opened up more people to install in clubs. I was already asked how this all works for a local install and they decided against it being they know users will just use serato for free (for the DJ),

I will have to assume when the DVS portion of Rekordbox is released it will work like serato so clubs can install a DVS box for anyone to plug in and play, 

BriChi 2 votes

This is the same back and forth argument of which license activation method is better. Keep in mind with Serato you can NOT have the decks online (performance mode) without hardware connected as you can with Traktor or Rekordbox. Thus NO practicing mixing at home. Bottom line if you plan on using the software purchase it!!

I think you assume too much with the DVS expansion as this will probably just work liek Traktor as well. This is by NO means a new method of licensing and furthermore as far as I know (and I have a TON of them) Serato is the ONLY DJ software developer to do things this way. EVERY other Flow8Deck, Traktor, Mixvibes, Cross, Djay Pro, Virtual DJ, Ableton .................... (am I missing any LOL) does things the exact way Rekordbox DJ is doing it. To say most clubs will stick with Serato is implying they are using Serato to begin with. IF they are utilizing the Club kit as in using:

• Pioneer DJM-900NXS
  • Pioneer DJM-850
  • Allen & Heath Xone:DB2
  • Allen & Heath Xone:DB4
  • Allen & Heath Xone:43
  • Rane MP2015

(AKA the majority of club installed mixers btw) then guess what................ it works exactly like Traktor and Rekordbox DJ in that the activation remains within the laptop and JUST like Rekordbox DJ is only good for two laptops. Even furthermore every expansion Serato has EVER released remains with the laptop and is NOT available to ANY DJ who plugs in their hardware unless a.) they have their own activation of said expansion or b.) the hardware natively offers said expansion as with DVS.

Case in point if a club has the DJM-900Nexus (I know when the F do you ever see a DJM-900 in a club except everywhere LOL) it will in NO way enable DJ's to use it unless they personally have purchased and activated the Serato DJ Club Kit unless they plan on using with HID only (CDJ's etc) in which case they only need the Serato DJ expansion to activate Serato DJ................. without recording or THRU features of course which again require the DVS expansion)

Deejay Dave 0 votes