Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

5 followers Follow

4.0.6 - Cant map Denon DN-HC1000

so i have an older Denon midi unit which worked amazing with Serato but it will not map to Rekordbox,

I plug it in and it maps fine but does not actually trigger what I am mapping to, the "learn" picks up the command but it does not actually execute the command and scrolling only scrolls up when you map browse, 

BriChi

Please sign in to leave a comment.

20 comments

What is the MIDI signal when you rotate it clockwise vs. counterclockwise - does it provide a different value or a different signal number?

Pulse 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

What happens if you delete that entry, close, then re-open the MIDI Learn panel, and add it again with the LEARN?

Pulse 0 votes

Same results. Worked with it for a good hour today and couldn't get it to work at all, yet with serato it works fine so I know the unit is good 

BriChi 0 votes

I Have DN-HC1000  & DN-SC2000 the same : ,

I plug it in and it maps fine but does not actually trigger what I am mapping to, the "learn" picks up the command but it does not actually execute the command and scrolling only scrolls up when you map browse

Roby Noy Dj's 0 votes

Same problem here with sc2000.

Its no possible to map this Denon device. In traktor I had not any problem.

I have noticed that when you try to learn cue for example, there are two messajes, trigger  on and trigger off.

Eduardo 0 votes

With NI kontrol f1, no problem after switching it to midi mode.

Rekordbox see sc2000, midi messajes are into pc (I see them with a midi monitor).

But its impossible to work with sc2000

Eduardo 0 votes

I wouldn't be surprised if there's something funny going on with the MIDI signal coming form the Denon units. If anyone is confident in finding / providing detailed MIDI data, that might help troubleshooting the issue at hand.

Pulse 0 votes

I'm also having the same issue with a Denon SC2000.  I used some software called 'Midiox' to pull some midi data:

TIMESTAMP IN PORT STATUS DATA1 DATA2 CHAN NOTE EVENT
Opened MIDI Input
00001143      1     --         90        42        40       1      F# 4  Note On
000011BA     1     --         80        42        00       1      F# 4  Note Off
00003336      1     --         90        43        40       1      G  4  Note On
000033A8     1     --         80        43        00       1      G  4  Note Off

'00001143 & 000011BA' is the cue button on deck 1 & '00003336 & 000033A8' is the play/pause button on deck 1.

Hope this helps as a solution/update would be great.  Thanks for your help! :-)

ES 0 votes

I used midi monitor, hit CUE-1 on right side of controller and then CUE-1 on left side, here are the results 

BriChi 0 votes

@BriChi > Hah! There's your problem, it's not sending a full signal! It's only sending a value of 64, when a full value is 127.

@ES > Looks like yours is the same thing; the HEX value sent is 40 - that's 64 in decimal value.

Pulse 0 votes

Thanks for the quick response!

Do you know how or if this can be remedied?

ES 0 votes

Easily! Stop using Denon. ;)

Seriously though, in that it's a Denon product, we don't provide technical support for it beyond asking the kinds of questions like I have to try and deduce whether the problem is Pioneer's or Denon's. At this point, you'll have to do some digging into their product manuals and support information to see if you can change the MIDI setting. If not, you could require the use of a MIDI translator which can take that incoming signal and bump up the value.

Pulse 0 votes

Pulse, I agree with you that this is a Denon issue now that you pointed out the flaw BUT do you think Pioneer could fix on their end too. We are able to do all these mapping with no issues  with Serato and Traktor so clearly something in the software can be done to get these controllers to work. Right now it looks like no one can map Denon stuff to rekordbox DJ.

@Eduardo, that will be a complete waste of time, trust me, all denon is going to say is exactly what I just wrote, They will say its a rekordbox Pioneer issue being no other programs have this issue

BriChi 0 votes

There appears to be two salient points here:

1.  Rekordbox DJ could be updated to recognise the MIDI signal from Denon equipment.

2.  Denon could perhaps update there driver in order for us to switch between types of midi signal.

I've looked through the denon support manual and you can manually change the delivery time of the midi signal, however, there appears to be nothing with regards to actually changing the type of it.

I've done a bit of research and found some software called 'Midi Translator Classic' by BOME ( https://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator/overview/classic ) which is free for Windows or they do a pro (paid for) version for OSX.  I have no knowledge of midi or how to use it but from what I've read it can convert midi signals.  This being said, I'm not sure how much of a solution it would be as I guess it would have to be running to convert the signals in real time which I'm sure would affect latency and use up precious CPU power.

In summary, I think the problem could be fixed on either side depending who's willing to put the work in, however, it could mean we'd have to find some sort of solution independently while we wait for one of them (if at all) to sort it out.

ES 0 votes

@Eduardo if you could let us know if you open a thread in the Denon forums, you know, just so we don't muddy the waters.  Cheers bro!

ES 0 votes

MIDI standards are pretty simple and I can't figure out why Denon would create a MIDI signal that sends a half value instead of a whole value. I'm sure it's something Pioneer could address, but really, if Denon controllers are the only ones exhibiting this issue ... and if it turns out jog / pitch bend mapping will be unavailable to non-Pioneer MIDI devices (much like Serato), it's not loss to Pioneer, only gain in a potential hardware sale.

Pulse 0 votes