Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

5 followers Follow

Midi Mapping - Play/Pause Not Working

Hi

I can add am midi assignment in the midi mapping area for Play/Pause, a midi number is received from my Akai MPD32 but it doesn't actually do anything.

Nothing happens in Rekordbox when the pad is pressed even though it says its mapped.

Other functions work fine.

Any ideas?

Can other people map Play/Pause?

Cheers!

Dan Moore

Official comment

Hi,

I was mapping my Livid CNTRL:R and had the same problem, then I looked into my CNTRL:R editor and found out that the buttons send notes and not cc messages. As soon as I changed the notes to cc messages it worked, and I was able to map the Play/Pause and other buttons with success. If you have an editor for your controller, try to find out if it send midi notes or cc messages, if it sends notes you have to change it to cc messages and it will work.

Michael Bosch
Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.

14 comments

Seems a few users are experiencing problems with the play/pause mapping, waiting to hear back on that.

Pulse 0 votes

Michael! Thank you so much for you're reply. I Reckon this is it, I can't check until the morning when I get to work but I have a good feeling :)

I'll keep you posted.

CHEERS!

Dan Moore 0 votes

Your welcome, I hope it works out for you and that it will help other users as well. I tried out Rekordbox DJ and as soon as I saw the new update with midi mapping feature I bought it, because that was the only thing I was waiting for to map it to my own controllers and I am glad that I know switched from Serato DJ and Traktor Pro 2 to Rekordbox DJ.

I love this piece of software.

Let me know if it worked out for you when you get the chance to check it.

Michael Bosch 0 votes

Thanks for that update Michael! Hope it works for others too. :)

Pulse 0 votes

Your welcome, I love the software it combines all the good features from Traktor and Serato DJ and I really love it. This will definitely be my go-to DJ software. Off course I will also still use Searto DJ and Traktor for certain occasions but Rekordbox is now my number 1 DJ software, and believe me I got almost all of them hahahaha.

Michael Bosch 0 votes

I think people are having problems because Preview-Start is somehow mapped to teh play pause button (in the software).

Found this out when mapping preview to an 3rd party controller and when hitting that button it seems to stop the deck instead of preview!  Maybe you can map Preview to the play button this until the next version! :)

DJ Chase 0 votes

Michael, yes you're right a CC # did work to trigger play/pause, thanks. Unfortunately the Akai MPD32 that I'm using only does midi note from the pads.

I also use too many DJ apps!

Traktor Pro 2 for internal mixing on my radio show,.

Serato for DVS

Rekordbox for USB on CDJ's

And...Vinyl :)

It will be great when I can drop Traktor for the radio and use Rekordbox for internal mixing duties on air, one less app everything in one place etc.

I'm eagerly awaiting updates to Rekordbox, I think it's going to be very useful in the future.

Dan Moore 0 votes

Sorry to hear that the Akai MPD32 doesn't send cc messages. Hope you can get an alternative for that.

I am pleased to hear that I am not the only one just holding on to Traktor for broadcasting purposes, because if that was implemented in Rekordbox DJ as well, I would not need to use Traktor except for the stems, but then again I also got Flow 8 Deck and DJ Player Pro on the iPad to use stems. I really think that Rekordbox is going to be my place to be now, and I believe they will bring a lot of new features into the applications steadily to make sure that all the users will get the requested add-ons.

Mostly I use Traktor just for broadcasting on Mixify, because it is easy to setup in the broadcasting setup and I don't like to have too much hassle with extra applications like butt.app. Anyway the post is getting too long now, just hope that anyone having a problem with mapping will join us here and we can all help each other tom have a great experience.

Take care guys and hope you enjoy Rekordbox DJ as much as I do.

Mike

Michael Bosch 0 votes

It looks like some users are having a problem (specifically with Denon units) because the signal being sent only registers a value of 64 but rekordbox is looking for a value of 127 (full on) for that trigger. So rekordbox will map it, but the value never reaches 127 when that button is pressed so it doesn't trigger.

Options are to figure out if Denon's MIDI can send a proper value, or use a MIDI translator to bump those values.

Pulse 0 votes

Hi Pulse

Any updates from the engineering team about this?  Hopefully Play/Pause and PreviewStart/PreviewSkip will be 'unlinked' with 4.0.7... I understand there is an issue wit Denon units but the Preview is 'tied' to Play on multiple midi controllers (even the Pioneer units!)  Thanks

Thanks

DJ Chase 0 votes

It's something they're working on, I can't say if it will be available in 4.0.7 or not.

Pulse 0 votes

Hi Mike,

I'm just wondering if you would kindly check to see which midi CC# you are using to map your play and pause buttons ?

I'm going to try and use a software midi router to change my midi note to midi cc.

Thanks so much!

Dan

Dan Moore 1 vote

Hi Dan,

I'm not sure what you mean with 'which midi CC' I am using. Can you explain what you mean by this?

Mike

Michael Bosch 0 votes