Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

4 followers Follow

Nxs2 setup using in link mode (hid) with DdJ-Sp1 troubles

Just wondering if use of the ddj-SP1 is planned to  be supported when laptop is linked via usb with djm 900 nxs2 in link mode. Currently I can only make use of my SP1 if I export tracks to USB stick and select USB button as source/input switch to digital and link everything which then allows the SP1 to work as expected.

I will hardly ever make use of my setup in this config (using a USB stick to share tracks). I prefer to have everything linked but utilising the USB link to laptop so I can see platter on laptop etc (hid mode) but would love to make use of the SP1 at the same time.

Regards

Chris (UK)

Christopher MacSwan-Wiggins

Official comment

@Chris > You're confusing the situation.

If you network all of your players and mixer together, you connect the USB ONLY from the DJM to the computer and you can have all that communication established over the one cable.

This allows for either USB HID control (for rekordbox DJ in performance mode), or LINK connection (with rekordbox in export mode).

When you connect the SP1 to one of the CDJs' top ports (where you would connect a USB drive) you can control the hot cues, etc. of the players -- this is ONLY for LINK mode. If you want to use the SP1 to control rekordbox, it has to be connected via the computer.

Pulse
Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.

16 comments

yes, plug the SP1 into ur laptop via USB cable, open performance mode, hit MIDI and map all the buttons you want to control the platters on ur laptop

BriChi 0 votes

Ok, so my new MacBook Pro only has 2 USB slots which are being utilised by the connection from my DJM 900 nxs2 and my external hard drive. Surely I don't need another USB slot for the SP1 as it's plugged directly into one of my cdj 2000 nxs2 as per the instruction manual on this website.

Christopher MacSwan-Wiggins 0 votes

you would if you want to utilize them in performance mode. The decks with the SP1 are made to be used as a standalone setup, if you're just going to use performance mode then you could've just bought the RZ controller pretty much as it will do all the same stuff as you using the NXS2's at $4500.

that being said, you can buy a USB hub and wire everything into that and then have that 1 usb go to the macbook

BriChi 0 votes

if you have everything wired up through ethernet, the DJM900 plugged into your macbook and the SP1 plugged into aCDJ, does the SP1 show up in devices under midi?

BriChi 0 votes

Hi,

sorry for being thick. New to mac. Devices under midi ? Is this within preferences under Rekordbox or audio in mac ? Or on cdj ?

I've had all sorts of setups from aero, ddj-sx, Sz and more recently my Rane 62 but have decided to upgrade to the nxs2 setup to complement my tech 12's and give me 4 decks. I usually use Serato DJ so new to the whole setup of rekordbox, cdj's and Mac.

just expected the Ddj-SP1 to plug and play but when it wasn't working in performance mode I decided to unhook the laptop to see if it worked with link mode when utilising USB source which it did. I couldn't understand why it won't work when I introduce the laptop back into the setup ?

Gotcha, yes plug and play for link mode, performance mode is completely different and would need to be mapped. 

Once your in Rekordbox dj performance mode there is a MIDI icon at the top right, open that, check devices and map away

someone on the forum actually mapped this and uploaded their mapping file i believe that you can import and use

BriChi 0 votes

Hi

wired the way I have it at the moment the ddj-sp1 does not appear under the midi tab on the laptop in performance mode - just the DJM-900 nxs2 appears.

I guess if I plug the ddj-sp1 directly to my MacBook Pro it will then appear and I can run the mapping. So would love your advice on the next step

Do you recommend I buy an apple thunderbolt to Ethernet adaptor then use this adaptor to link from laptop to existing Ethernet hub via Ethernet cable to complete the pro DJ link (thus freeing up a USB slot for the ddj-sp1) or should I buy a USB hub and keep all connections to laptop as USB ?

regards

If you're using performance mode you don't need Ethernet at all. It's all usb to the laptop. 

Get a usb hub and plug in the cdjs, sp1 and external to that and then into the MacBook and then run the djm900 right to the MacBook also

BriChi 0 votes

Ok. Thanks for your help with it all.

Chris

I have mine setup all through a USB hub in to my imac, as shown in my video. You will need to download the midi file in the link in the description and paste it where shown on the video, prior to loading up Rekordbox.

Then when it all fires up, select performance mode and you should be good to go :-)

DJ dp 0 votes

Sweet,

it was just throwing me because the whole setup is new for me all at once. At the moment I have both my cdj's and mixer wired to a net gear 8 port switch via individual Ethernet cables. Because my Mac doesn't have an Ethernet port I run the USB cable from my mixer to Mac to make that final link connection. Confusingly the connection diagram for ddj-sp1 shows the USB connection made to the cdj. When I used serato DJ with my old setup the ddj-sp1 was directly connected to the laptop. However this confusion has been cleared up by BriChi. I've got a thunderbolt to Ethernet/USB 3.0 port arriving in a few days which will give me the extra USB port for the SP1 to wire to. I may just remove the USB to mixer connector and use an Ethernet cable to make the final link connection to the laptop too. I'd already ordered this before advice given about solely using USB connections and a USB hub but I believe it's the same principle as the Ethernet hub link connections.

Your video was spot on and I'll definitely be using the mapping.

regards

chris

you can run USB right from the mixer to the Macbook and have everything ethernet, only the mixer would have to run to the macbook and then a hub for your external and SP1

BriChi 0 votes

Thanks guys,

between u all its crystal clear now. Once my adaptor arrives my sp1 direct to laptop and I'm good to go with DJ dp mapping