Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

2 followers Follow

Record with DJM 900 NXS soundcard in Rekordbox DJ without CDJs

DJM 900 Nexus with USB connected to imac without CDJs.

I set my Audio settings of my imac to input DJM 900 Nexus and output DJM 900 Nexus. Then I put the Audio settings in rekordbox to Built-in-Output (not DJM 900 Nexus because I cant use the DJM 900 Nexus Fader when I put the audio settings to DJM 900 Nexus in rekordboxDJ!! the trim section and effects are working well but as I metioned the faders of the DJM 900 NXS are not available).The mixer-Modus in rekordbox on intern (Intern Mixer-Modus). Input Record is on master out. 

Does rekordbox uses now the soundcard of the DJM 900 Nexus or does it still record through the build-in soundcard of my computer when I have the audio settings of rekordbox to built-in Output? Does rekordbox record from the audio input (Nexus soundcard) or from the built-in Output (Computer soundcard)? Or do I have to change the audio settings from rekordbox to DJM 900 Nexus, that it will record from the soundcard of the DJM 900 Nexus? For me it seems like its still recording from the build-in Output of the computers soundcard instead of the nexus soundcard.

When I put the Audio in rekordbox to DJM 900 Nexus I can not use the intern Mixer of rekordbox. I want use the intern Rekordbox-Mixer with the DJM 900 Nexus soundcard to record.

Second Problem: when I change the audio settings of rekordbox to DJM 900 Nexus (instead of built-in Output) I can not figure out how to record all 4 chanels. In rekordboxDJ it just shows record possbilities of chanel 1 to 4. That means I can just record 1 of 4 chanels. It looks like a have to connect all 4 chanels to 1 chanel to record. It looks like its not possible to record in rekorboxDJ with the soundcard of DJM 900 Nexus without CDJs.

Steven

Please sign in to leave a comment.

16 comments

I make it now like that:

DJM 900 Nexus connected with USB to Imac. I made a new midi-audio device named it "Soundcard Nexus". In this device I set the DJM Nexus 900 Soundcard as IN and OUT. Than I go to rekordbox DJ and under the Audio settings I choose this device "Soundcard Nexus". Now the sound In is Nexus and the Sound out is nexus. And I hope also the MasterOut Record is also Nexus. I mean I just got this device so it must record with the Nexus soundcard :)

Very funny is also that rekordbox cant read his own records on wave files. You have to convert it to an Aiff file or to an other file.

Steven 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Why don't you tell me which equipment you have and what it is you're trying to accomplish and perhaps I can offer a detailed solution, because reading through your posts, I'm not even sure what you're trying to do!

Pulse 0 votes

Equipment:

Rekordbox DJ, Imac, DJM 900 Nexus and an USB cable

What do I want:

I want to record in rekordboxDJ with the soundcard of DJM 900 Nexus without CDJs.

Where is the problem:

Rekordbox DJ has his own Audio-settings. Under preference "Audio" its possible to choose a Built-In Output (Core Audio). Thats why I'm afraid that rekordboxDJ does not use the DJM 900 Nexus soundcard to record in RekordboxDJ.

What I did to solve this problem:

I changed audio settings in the system preference of my computer (Imac) to DJM 900 Nexus soundcard In(put) and Out(put). To be sure that rekordboxDJ uses the DJM 900 Nexus soundcard, I created I knew audio device in Midi-Audio setup with DJM 900 Nexus. Then I go back to rekordboxDJ and choose the new audio device (DJM 900 Nexus) under the preference "Audio" rekordboxDJ.

Steven 0 votes

I have to create a new device because when I choose DJM 900 Nexus under preference "Audio" in RekordboxDJ I can no more use the intern mixer of rekordboxDJ. And also I can just record one chanel instead of MasterOut with 4 chanels - which is available with the intern mixer of rekorboxDJ.

Steven 0 votes

I understand you're not using CDJs, but if you're using an external hardware mixer, why would you want to use the internal mixer of the software?

What is it you're tying to do "record just one channel" ? If that's what you want to do, set your outputs in the Settings Utility to Post Fader and then assign that channel as the recording input selector in rekordbox.

Pulse 0 votes

Because I cant figure out how to record all 4 chanels of DJM 900 Nexus in rekordboxDJ. Rekordbox just shows me a possibility to record one chanel of 4 (RecOut chanel 1 or 2 or 3 or 4). I think to record all 4 chanels I need also 4 Cdjs.

By the way rekordbox dont accept his own records which are saved as wave-files. Do you have a suggestion on this? When Im converting those wave-files to Aiff-files in iTunes then I lose some volume compared to the original.

Steven 0 votes

@Steven > That's because rekordbox is a stereo-mix recorder, what you're asking to do is a multi-track recording. Can I ask why you want to do that? Are you looking to "master the mix" later?

rekordbox CAN read WAV files, are you saying it won't open the WAV files it records? Have you looked under the Recordings branch of the navigation tree on the left?

Pulse 0 votes

simply for recording and yes also for mulit-track recording. I have some difficult Cues which I want to record first before the gig. I wrote it wrong I mean the wave-files are accepted in rekordboxDJ but not on USB. Are there any USB which are accepting wave-files?

Do you think there are soundquality diffrence when I record with the DJM 900 Nexus soundcard on rekordbox DJ with the intern mixer instead of using the DJM 900 Nexus Mixer? I dont change the volume. I set the volume from the beginning. I just have to record some Cues.

The recordings sound good for me.. on headphones:) Tonight maybe I check it with speakers.

Steven 0 votes

@Steven > I probably misunderstand, but what exactly is a "difficult cue" and how does recording the discrete track help? Why not simply edit the track in an audio editor?

Almost all of our hardware can play WAV files, and there's nothing special about the recordings, they're all 16bit / 44.1kHz / stereo files.

I don't see why you wouldn't use the external mixer mode, there's no loss in quality.

Pulse 0 votes

When I understand you right: you say recording with the intern mixer with the soundcard of DJM 900 Nexus in rekordboxDJ gives lesser quality sound than recording with the DJM 900 Nexus soundcard and the DJM 900 Nexus Mixer to record in rekordboxDJ.

Why? Also when I use the intern mixer my DJM 900 Nexus soundcard is connected in rekordboxDJ as Midi-Audio device.

With difficult Cues I mean, that I have made about 6 Cues in one track. When I am on a gig its sometimes difficult to get all cues right. Thats why I want to record the track together with the cues.

Why I dont use the external Mixer to record? Like I said, I want to record mulitple tracks and I can not figure out how to record mulitple tracks on rekordbox with the DJM 900 Nexus Mixer. Rekordbox just gives me one chanel to record like that its not possible to record mulitple tracks. It would be possible when chanel 1 is always on but to record like that is very difficult and not really possible.

You say rekordboxDJ records in 16bit/44.1kHz/stereo files. Is there a possibility to record in a better quality? If I would use the DJM 900 Nexus instead of the intern mixer to record in rekordbox DJ would it be really a better quality record?

Steven 0 votes

The internal vs. external mixer doesn't matter with regards to the audio quality; it will still be passed through the DJM at one point anyhow.

If you want to "get the cues right," why not work that edit in software? Or simply practice to get better at that performance?

Unfortunately the audio recording rate is fixed and there is no option to change it at this time. For most users, that setting is adequate, as it is CD-quality.

Pulse 0 votes

why not work that edit in software?

That would be amazing if you can automatically record your cue points. I mean if you can set a point in a track with an order and then it will automatically jump to the cue or anywhere of the track without doing anyting. That would be f... great!! Can you ask the producer if he can make that. I mean that would be a feature what would beat traktor definitely :)

Example command: Jump from Cue A to Cue B automatically

or command: Jump from Cue A to Cue C of track 2

or command: Beatmatch Track 1 by Cue A with Cue D of Track 3

Steven 0 votes

Serato DJ has this, it's known as "Flip Mode." Unfortunately no other software has it yet, but you CAN sequence the sampler within rekordbox. Have you explored that option?

Pulse 0 votes

Nope. Need to do it onetime. But when I squence the sampler its just possible to jump inside a track not in multiple tracks. Isn't it?

Steven 0 votes

It would be individual tracks or samples themselves, so you could chop up the track and sequence it that way.

Pulse 0 votes