Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

3 followers Follow

Recordbox - Master Database transfer from Windows to Mac

Hello,

I am aware this is a frequent topic, and I have worked extensively on following your step by step guide for this process from the link below.

https://forums.pioneerdj.com/hc/en-us/articles/205021549-Moving-Your-Rekordbox-Database-Video-

The problem i am facing is that once i moved the master database from my recordbox in PC to the external and go to my MAC so i can move the master database from the external to my MAC; the recordbox on my MAC will not give me a drop down menu - it will only show the Mactinosh HD and not allow me to "move database". Both computers have the updated version of recordbox 4.1.2 and I am not sure where the missing link is.

Appreciate your prompt support on this matter as this is crucial to get fixed for my upcoming gigs.

Mohammed Yousef

Please sign in to leave a comment.

22 comments

@Mohammed > Once you have MOVED the database to the external drive, you have to load that database first. If you've put it on an NTFS or exFAT drive, your Mac won't be able to use it.

Pulse 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Thank you for your prompt reply. Can you please provide a step by step on how i can do that? Its not showing in the tutorial video and guide and i am new to mac (still figuring out how to use the OS.

Mohammed Yousef 0 votes

First, confirm the drive file system type by selecting the drive in Mac and pressing Command+i (to open the info panel), you'll see Format:

Tell me what it says for the drive you're using to transfer the database / music.

Pulse 0 votes

I notice you mentioned that my drive will not be able to use it - surely there is a way we can amend this? 

Please say we can!!!!!

Mohammed Yousef 0 votes

Hello - still waiting for a response on this. Please treat it as urgent.

Mohammed Yousef 0 votes

@Mohammed > I'd like to help you as quickly as possible, but there are lots of other users also asking for help, and everyone considers their problem urgent as well.

As I noted in my first response, if you've moved your database to an NTFS drive (which yours is, per the info you posted above), it can not be read by the Mac as a source drive. You will need to move the database back to your PC and then format that drive to FAT32 so it can be read by both computers.

Pulse 0 votes

Thank you pulse for your prompt reply and your comments are duly noted.

I have moved my database back to PC; could you advise how to format the drive to FAT32 though?

Thrilled to know that we can solve this :)

Mohammed Yousef 0 votes

Because Windows only wants to use NTFS and exFAT, you need a 3rd party tool for it - grab the HP USB formatting utility here.

It's pretty straight-forward; select the drive (make sure it's the correct one!) and then the File System type (FAT32), give it a name, tick the Quick Format box and hit Start!

Once that has completed, follow the steps to move your database again, this time it should work without hassle on the other end.

Pulse 0 votes

It has been fixed! Thank you for your continued support.

Much appreciated.

Mohammed Yousef 0 votes

Hello Pulse.. Just a few observations, I have imported the database to my Macbook and moved all the songs to this harddrive as well.

Upon loading Recordbox and re-importing my music, it got analyzed, the playlists and customized tag lists showed up. However, apart from the smart lists, the playlists are empty & the tag information as well as previous Hot Cues & Cues are missing.

Anyway I can get this information back? It seems odd as most of the stuff has been uploaded correctly in the same format, with the exception of this information... 

Mohammed Yousef 0 votes

Does it by any chance have anything to do with the fact that the mixedinkey id3 tags may have been different than the ones imported and hence its not recognizing it?

One alternative would be to re-import the music and replicate the same mixed in key options as i did in the Windows PC - would this solve this?

Mohammed Yousef 0 votes

Hello Pulse. 

I have managed to lose all my cue points and playlist data despite the software oddly recognizing my smart playlist selection. 

I am trying to start all over again from scratch (serious waste of time); how do you colour code cue points on the mac version? How do you display the comments sections on the tracks?

Am i missing something here? this seems to be more cumbersome than on the windows which was a lot more straightforward. Appreciate your support on this please.

Mohammed Yousef 0 votes

It doesn't sound like you followed the instructions as it shouldn't have required any re-importing or analysis of files. If you still have access to your PC you could try again.

Pulse 0 votes

Thats fine. I have decided to re-start working on my library anyways as i have new ideas in mind. 

Few things i would like to ask you: 

1- I got the latest update from Recordbox yesterday. Ever since, everytime i am working on my playlist, if i try to erase a song, it won't get erased but some other songs in the playlist seems to be erased (the number of songs keep diminishing but the songs i choose to delete aren't going) - this is very annoying and time consuming. Do you know what the problem is?

2- I keep getting the message that my songs were analyzed with an old version and hence multicolour waveform can't be displayed etc. click on the option menu and "add new analysis data" . That is correct, on my Windows it was Coloured Waveform and now it's back to the basic blue one. I selected the songs but i am unable to press on the add new analysis data tab. All other options are working except that one. What is the issue here and why won't it update?

Mohammed Yousef 0 votes

It seems there are a number of users having issues with 4.2.0. The downgrade to 4.1.2 is recommended at this time, you will not lose your collection.

Additionally, you can revert to a previous version of your database through an automatically created backup in the rekordbox folder:

Win 7/8/10: C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Pioneer\rekordbox
OSX: /Users/yourusername/Library/Pioneer/rekordbox

Rename datafile.edb to datafile.edb.old
Rename datafile.backup.edb to datafile.edb (removing .backup)

rekordbox automatically creates a backup each time you launch the software; if you have opened / closed v4.2.0 more than 3 times you may not be able to recover your database in this manner. Please check the date / time of the backup files in order to choose the most appropriate version.

Pulse 0 votes

Before your post i have re-installed the older version from the guy Mark's link. The issue is still there (with deleting songs). Now this never happened until i upgraded and it persists after the downgrade. 

Any idea what caused this? I completed my set (despite hiccups thanks to this issue) but i am working on a new one and i want to make sure i have the full focus. 

Mohammed Yousef 0 votes

We're not sure yet, the rekordbox team is working to determine the cause and ensure that it's resolved in the next release.

The issue may remain with existing duplicates, which is why we've provided information on restoring a backup.

Pulse 0 votes

I lost you. My issue seems to be technical. I press delete but it doesnt delete the song and deletes another one frlm the playlist. How will the back up help me? Apart from restoring all songs again?

What duplicates are you referring to?

So i understand i need to wait until the next release and that you will notify IT of this existing issue?

Mohammed Yousef 0 votes

Restoring a backup would revert your library to before the issue occurred, thus negating any concern of duplicates.

The rekordbox team is working hard to correct the issues in the 4.2.0 release and a new version will be available shortly.

Pulse 0 votes

hi guys! Is it possible to import the database that is now on my usb, into rekordbox? I have successfully extracted it from my windows laptop to my usb device. it is recognised in my macbooc complete with cue points etc. is it possible to transfer this data to my macbook so it is present when the usb device is removed? as in create a new master database location?

Dw1 0 votes