Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

6 followers Follow

Release Date metadata stripped from mp3 files? 4.1.x

After doing a "reload tags" for all files in my Rekordbox collection, the "Release Date" for these songs is no longer showing for ALL mp3 files in my collection. (The Release Date /is/ still visible for the .aif files in my collection.)

I can reproduce the problem by importing one of the mp3 files from a backup into Rekordbox again. The release date is then visible in both the track view and the info pane. The select boxes are properly loaded with the date. However, if I do a "reload tag" on that mp3 file, the date disappears from both locations. If I remove the mp3 file from the collection and add it again, the Release Date does not show up. I hope this does not mean that I've lost this metadata for my ENTIRE library.

If I do an update tags on .aif files, the release date appears unharmed. Only removed for mp3 files. I experienced this problem using Rekordbox 4.1 and subsequently updated to 4.1.1 and still see the same behavior. These were standard mp3s purchased at Beatport as well as other sources.

Ben Ogden

Please sign in to leave a comment.

21 comments

Ugh. I believe the metadata is lost. If I repeat the steps above, I can see that the modified date on the file in the OS is updated- only from doing a reload tags operation. You would expect this would be a read only operation and not destroy any data. If this is the case, I'm highly disappointed with the data loss :/

Ben Ogden 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Additional detail: I notice that when I first add the file to the collection, the "Comments" field is empty and "Release Date" is populated. When I do "Reload Tag" then the "Comments" field is then populated, and the "Release Date" is empty  :/

Ben Ogden 0 votes

Yeah, it certainly shouldn't be removing the metadata from the file itself when you reload the tags for that track. I'll see if the engineers have anything to say, but chances are if it's gone from your files, the only way to get it back would be to roll back to a backup.

Pulse 1 vote

I can send before/after mp3's if it helps, but I'm guessing it will be pretty easy to reproduce. I've been able to recover part of my library... As you said, the software should never destroy data like that.

My other concern is that I can't really do any metadata changes on anything in my library without the same thing happening again. This is an absolute *deal breaker* for DJs that use external software as part of their workflow- eg metadata editing in other DJ apps or even something like Mixed In Key.

Ben Ogden 0 votes

Good catch Roman. Somehow I missed your post... This a REALLY nasty little bug.

Ben Ogden 0 votes

Japan is currently on Golden Week holidays, so it will be about another week before we can expect an answer. Thanks for your patience.

Pulse 0 votes

I just loaded RB 4.1.2 on OSX El Capitan Imported 227 AIFF files (Release date Tagged).  Ran the AIFF's through MIK 7, went back into RB and reloaded tags...... Release Date gone :( Thankfully I got a RB backup tho.  Tracking this one, any update? 

Justin Graham 0 votes

This is such a nasty bug because if users don't have a full backup, they're hosed. When I originally tested, it seemed like .aif files were not affected but sounds like you're seeing differently Robert... To anyone following this, please post on social media to get support from your DJ friends so we can get a fix for this horrible problem. If I didn't have to prep audio specifically for CDJs and club environments, I might have already reverted to Serato. C'mon Pioneer, let's get this fixed!!!

Ben Ogden 0 votes

Thanks for your feedback guys, our product teams are investigating the problem and hope to have a solution for you soon.

Pulse 0 votes

I'm having the same problem but my key information is disappearing.

Bit worrying that 3 months have passed and this hasn't been fixed.

MiQ 0 votes

this is just crazy... I started a thread on this issue on January 2013 !! and the issue still there... unbelievable...

CueDee 0 votes

Engineers are still investigating, thanks for your patience.

@Ben > Bumping a thread will only result in us closing it.

Pulse 0 votes

@Ben > Our engineers have asked if you could please post one of the MP3s that are having its tags stripped.

Pulse 0 votes