Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

3 followers Follow

DDJ-RZX Jogwheel feels cheap like the XDJ-1000 and other gripes

I am upgrading from a DDJ-RZ to the DDJ-RZX and must say the jogwheel on the RZX feels like the XDJ-1000 which feels cheap and plastic (no offense to XDJ-1000 owners, I previously owned a pair).

What happened here?  The RZX should have the same jogwheel as the RZ?!

Other gripes:  
 * Pitch fader does not click on 0 like the RZ.
 * Rekordbox cannot handle this unit on my i7 MacBook Pro.  It's crazy laggy.

Very disappointed in the RZX - I had much higher hopes.

Kompiler

Please sign in to leave a comment.

9 comments

I will add to this thread.

I've had my RZX three weeks and whilst the overall theory of it being a 'beast' is undeniable, this thing needs SO much power you simply cannot run anything else alongside RBDJ if you want an experience anywhere NEAR normal.

My MacBook is a 2.6GHz i7 with 16GB RAM and whilst it'll run fine on it's own with RBDJ, if I want to run some streaming software too - just forget it. No chance of performing a set what-so-ever.

Everything slows to a halt. Color FX are laggy, the pad switch buttons are laggy, the whole experience just isn't up to standard that you'd expect from a £2,500 piece of equipment - an apparent "flagship" controller.

Having had the unit three weeks I'm not not in a position to return to the store here in the UK that I bought it from, so I am literally in the hands of Pioneer to fix the laggy feel and the rest of the bugs out there - for which there are absolutely tonnes.

But as Scott Ullrich says above... how can you guys not put the RZ jogs into your flagship unit?

Kieron Y 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Hey guys, you mean rekordbox becomes laggy when using the rzx and mixing video right?

it works good for audio?

Diego Sucaria 0 votes

oh crap!   I pre-ordered mine and now I am afraid my macbook air wont run it.  (2.2ghz i7)

This is really bad.  I think I'm going to ask the seller to change it for an SZ or RZ

Diego Sucaria 0 votes

An Air? You'll probably get away with running RBDJ audio only, just don't even think about running anything else alongside it if you need to.

I can't comment on the video mixing so I won't cloud your judgement on that topic.

Kieron Y 0 votes

I won't use it for video for now...   so I'll just hope it works for audio only.

I can't believe the pitch faders do not click on 0....  I mean, that is basic stuff.

Diego Sucaria 0 votes

In my tests it was audio only.  I did not even bother putting the key in for the video side.

It's really too bad that between the Rekordbox performance issues and the corner cutting on the jogwheel and pitch fader.   Coming from a RZ you can clearly feel the differences.

Unfortunately as costly as this piece of equipment is I just sent it back to the dealer and will be forced to pay restocking fees.  Pretty sure I am going to get burned pretty hard on this but it was the right move.

Anyone considering a RZX you might want to visit a store and try one out in person before throwing hard earned cash down on this.

In terms of the RZ - I have nothing but praise for that controller.   If you are preordered for a RZX going with a RZ is a solid move (if you have early doubts).

I'll revisit the RZX2 when its available and hopefully by then Pioneer fixes the minor issues that I have with the 'feel' of the hardware and Rekordbox performance.

Kompiler 1 vote

I ended up keeping the unit as the restock fee was going to cost near 1K!

So with that said I moved my RB setup to a Late 2012 MacMini 2.3GHZ quad core and now RekordBox is purring like a kitten.   Guess my older MacBookPro is ready for retirement after all.

Still would like to know why Pioneer cheaped out on the Jog wheel and did not use aluminum and why the pitch fader will not click on 0.

Also wondering if I can do surgery and move the jogs and pitch fader from my RZ to RZX (obviously would void the warranty but I am OK with that if its possible).

Kompiler 0 votes