Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

5 followers Follow

FAT32 vs HFS+ export speeds night and day, Why?

Now I know why people are complaining about the speeds. 

I always use HFS+ on USB3.0 and speeds were good, then I tried formatting the same USB3.0 drive to FAT32 and doing 1 playlist of about 900 tracks and it literally is taking over an hour and only 90$ done yet when I have it formatted HFS+ that same playlist exports in 9 minutes. Why is this? is this a rb bug? Now I know why all these people are complaining about the speeds, If you have a FAT32 drive it is horrendous!!

BriChi

Please sign in to leave a comment.

13 comments

just did a full test

1 playlist, 981 tracks, 99% of them MP3

Patriot Magnum2 3.0 drive, very fast (on HFS+), love it

HFS+, Export of the playlist took just under 9 minutes 

FAT32 (MBR or GUID) - Export of same playlist took just under 2 hours

This is on my MacBook Pro, 13" 2.5 i5, 8gb ram, 1TB SSD Samsung drive, OS Sierra

that is insane, why such a difference? 

BriChi 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Ok, now I understand why people are complaining about slow transfer speeds! Been HFS+ for years...

The Henrik Maneuver 0 votes

and the XDJ-RX is not reading HFS+ drives larger then 4gb, this is a mess, looks like this will be going back to the store

BriChi 0 votes

I use a Sandisk Extreme 32GB USB 3.0 formatted as FAT32 MBR.  When I format my USB stick, I export my entire library (2500 tracks - 20 playlists - 40 intelligent playlist) in "only a few minutes".  I'm using a recent Macbook Air 13 for that, 8GB, 128GB SSD, Sierra.  The only thing I'm using it for (rekordbox in export mode).

Christophe Platteeuw 0 votes

@ Brichi I can't believe you got an XDJ-RX TBH. Would have never guessed that.

Deejay Dave 0 votes

dont be silly, I didn't buy one, LOL.... its my friends, he gave it to me to test and give my opinion on it all

I think its a great unit for what it is, a few issues someone like myself or friends I know that have similar styles are

1. 10,000 track limit is a joke, I have like 40,000 tracks on my external, the RX won't even see it

2. bigger platters obviously like the RZX

3. 8 hot cues

4. touch screen for keyboard search

If the RZX had a USB port with unlimited track database like the NXS2, I would own one, until then its a good controller for small 1 man gigs which I really never do, I always have setup crews on my jobs for the most part

BriChi 0 votes

Hah makes more sense now. You happen to know off hand how the screen works when combined with RBDJ?

Deejay Dave 0 votes

I didn't get to try it, I only tested with USB drives and linked to export mode. by the time I was done playing he came to pick up to use on a job, sorry. 

BriChi 0 votes

@BriChi common act normal :-) :-) :-) Why in the world would you be limited with 10.000 tracks.  If you play a 10 hours set at 2 minutes per track, that's only 300 songs you need.  If you filter your collection on "best tracks" and "80% best tracks" and "60% best tracks", you end up let's say around 2000 songs?  If you would have lived in the eighties, would you bring 100 curverboxes of vinyl then :-) ?

Touch screen however is a great suggestion.  But that cannot be fixed with a firmware update and I'm not going to buy another one just for that.

Christophe Platteeuw 0 votes

LOL, I'm trying to act as normal as possible, its tough

i did live and DJ in the 80's but it was way different back then in mobile DJ world, people just danced to what you played and maybe requested a song or 2 throughout the night that was a top40 song you would own anyway, Nowadays music is so easy to get and more demanding that the requests that come in on parties range from garbage hip hop Black Beatles to Grandma asking for Sunrise Sunset so yes, In the 30 years of collecting music I choose to bring my whole library being hard drive space is so cheap and i can do 4 parties in one weekend ranging from a Barmitzvah to a wedding to a christening and so on, No reason to have to break down a library nowadays with todays technology a disappoint Grandma that i didn't carry her song because I'm limited to how many tracks a unit can handle, I would love to explain that to her, LOL

on another note, this is why I stick to the professional units like to NXS2, no issues there

ill hold out to the next unit, touch screen would be nice and obviously cannot be added to existing unit

BriChi 0 votes

" this is why I stick to the professional units like to NXS2"

Bingo, you have to have the right expectations for the price point.

DJ Phil 0 votes

Not for nothing 10K tracks sounds limiting for sure. This is certainly NOT the eighties and with the customer able to access millions of songs on the go at will they sure don't want to hear why you do not have this or that track. I use an identical 100K track library SYNCed by Rekord Buddy for the major DJ apps along with Pulselocker & spotify again for the main DJ apps (expect Traktor at this point).

Deejay Dave 0 votes