Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

13 followers Follow

Toraiz vs MPC Live

With Akai set to bring another standalone sampler/sequencer to market, Pioneer needs to flesh the Toraiz out ASAP if they want to stay competitive. We need a full featured MIDI sequencer along with all of the other features they are currently working on in future updates. The Akai will most certainly have its issues as well but it's guaranteed they will release with at least a powerful sample engine and sequencer.

Midnight Music Club

Please sign in to leave a comment.

43 comments

Why did people pay $1500 for the Pioneer if what they really wanted was an MPC? I don't get it. I've owned several MPCs over the years. Different market.

Midnight Music Club 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Yeah, I know... Maybe because the forthcoming rumoured MPC was still a dream and my dumb consumer brain told me to hurry up and get the only available tool back then. Soon I realized I should have been warned with the MPC Touch dropping prices, but anyway I fell miserably into the pit.
It's not that I "really wanted an MPC". I'm just a bit frustrated to see how the Live is quite a huge leap from the Toraiz, on many aspects. I really don't care about which target a machine aims, or which logo is sticked on it (I can always put an Akai sticker on the Toraiz, hah) - I just need a good (or great) tool that works as I want to. I was quite blown away with a few demos of the SP-16, and it's the kind of beasty workstation many people were expecting for too long already, so I got caught. Maybe I just haven't been using it properly, or I haven't spent enough time on it - who knows.

Oper-8 0 votes

The MPC is not out yet.

The SP-16 does what it said it would do.

It's a sampler that plays in sync with your DJ rig and the rest of your midi studio. I want to "DJ" with my own productions and use it for live shows. I do not need a production studio in a box. If I did, I would not have purchased it. If you wanted a full production studio in a box, you bought the wrong product and that is no fault of Pioneer.

I'll b honest with you the sp-16 is easier to use than any mpc I have ever owned I buy and sell mpc's for cash but have never jelled with the mpc workflow too much menu diving ,the sp-16 is so easy to use if they just add eq per track and mult fx per track I'm good I never sample close to 32 seconds per song .the save to thumbdrive up to 2tb man come on. I sell used mpc's so the one thing I know akai for is bugs, so I'm going to wait a year for price drop and bug fixes and may still buy the mpc live. Only reason I wanted it was for screen size,battery and audio tracks but I can do all this on my mv 8000. It's not the machine it's the man I've made an album with an ensoniq eps ,Roland s 50, akai s900 so the toriaz is the next level I like it it reminds me of NI maschine. Keep up the good work pioneer keep the updates THAT WORK. Akai take notes because when the live and x drop the bug complaints will be massive.

Mikepepp 0 votes

I love my mpc live Glad I bought it , but I am keeping my sp16 I just use it with my Korg esx 1 I time slice on it then sample the slices into the sp16 much easier than fighting with the slice editing on the sp 16 and the esx adds a nice delay tail to slices. Now my mpc live -I'm getting rid of so much gear now that I bought it . My mv8000,rs7000 some synths, multitrack recorders.
Now I'm okay with the delay on the 1.4 os. BUT still want the pioneer sampling production workstation that was promised but patiently waiting.

Mikepepp 0 votes

@Dave The One Mendez   they were very specific about what the SP-16 was going to do. While I picked the SP-16 for what it does now, it falls short of the promised product.

Bryan Ferguson 0 votes

It falls short, long, hard, flat, miserably.  It isn't even useful as a DJ accessory; takes up way too much space on any console/desk. 

Again; It's a Dave Smith Filter Box with pads; nothing more.

Dave The One Mendez 0 votes

If all you can get your head around in the SP is the filter knob and the pads, I think we all know what the problem is and it's not the machine.

If you can't get your head around people that find fault with this unit, I think we all know your level of expertise when it comes to standard sampler features. 

Pioneer needs to do some work to bring this unit to spec with samplers that were released 20 years ago (Like the MPC 2000 XL) for 1100.00. (and it included 4 banks of 16 samples accessible for any track/sequence, could layer/stack 4 samples per pad, time stretching w 18 different presets, multiple effects per pad and great filters)  Hell even 25 years ago the mpc 3000 had 4 banks of 16 samples accessible at any given time for any track/sequence. 

Just basic stuff is what we are asking for a 1500.00 sampler.  Look at what Akai was able to accomplish 20 years later from the 2000xl for 1199. 

So God damn it; Pioneer please at least include some basic features (More banks to access more sounds per scene, stack/layer samples on each pad, at the very least support one sample format be it akai, emu, roland, .nki) 

This is disastrous at this point to not address the shortcomings. 

You marketed this product to be the first serious entry into Production/Recording Studio; put your money where your mouth is and prove it by fixing the Toraiz SP 16. 

Dave The One Mendez 0 votes

The Toraiz kit is fun... https://youtu.be/VwXXP1MhEAs

I wrote a gazillion thoughts about the different boxes (after playing with/owning all of them), if anyone cares for some insight before they purchase.

BobbyDuracel 0 votes

I think they just need to re-release the unit and offer the owners of the first gen model an internal upgrade. Send us a kit with more RAM and a multi-core CPU to throw in this bad boy and then open up the features.

Despite the limits, I still didn't prefer the MPC Live over this thing. I'd rather produce primarily with Maschine and Push 2/Ableton and port things over to the SP16 for the stage. The MPC live just never really played well with me, despite it's gargantuan feature set.

BobbyDuracel 0 votes