Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

3 followers Follow

Control of sound color effects in DDJRX

Hi there - I'm wanting to get into digital DJing having used CDs and vinyl for many years and am considering the DDJRX. I've had a play with the Rekordbox DJ trial and have been really impressed with how it works, I've also had a play with the DDJSX (albeit running Serato) to get a feel for the hardware (the DDJRX wasn't on display anywhere near me).

However I have a question about the Sound Color FX and how they are controlled. On the DDJRX there are the controls in the middle of the mixer section - my understanding is that these can be applied to each channel to any USB/line/phono input, which implies they are hardware rather than software based. Therefore the 4 color FX (noise, crush, pitch and filter) are the only one available and there is no finer control of FX parameters (e.g. filter resonance).

However within Rekordbox DJ itself within the Sound Color Panel there are 9 CFX available, that can be assigned to individual decks. In the software there is Color Knob (channel) and also Parameter Knob. Is there a way to control these CFX from the DDJRX?

Thanks for your help!

James Gordon Answered

Official comment

Yes, you can change the Color FX in rekordbox settings.  Yes, you can assign the virtual Paramter knob to another knob on the DDJ-RX using the MIDI learn feature.

Mark Gallo
Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.

5 comments

I have heard that you can assign other colour fx to any of the 4 buttons available on the mixer but because they are labelled as filter,noise etc you just have to be aware of which ones u have assigned to which .would be nice if you could change the colour effects and the mixer would work stand alone with them ,doubt that would work though and only work with the 4 that are actually built in.would be ideal if in the future you wanted to add a couple of cdj''s to the other 2 channels.

Chris Longman 0 votes

Thank you for your help - it's good to know that the effects can be changed. 

If the color FX are software based rather than hardware can they be applied to non-USB inputs on the channel (e.g. line or phono)? 

James Gordon 0 votes

No, only the default CFX are available for the Line/Phono inputs.

Mark Gallo 0 votes

Great - sounds like it has the best of both worlds then! Thanks for your help Mark

James Gordon 0 votes