Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

7 followers Follow

RB-DMX1 questions...

I have gone back & forth between Rekordbox & Serato and I am ready to "put all my eggs in the Pioneer basket". I have a DDJ-1000 and RB-DMX1 on pre-order and I'm really excited about the upcoming lighting feature. I'm wondering something though. Is there a way to use effect lights & derby style lights? Example: Chauvet Swarm, Gigbar etc... All of the demos I see show moving heads and pars mostly, not effect lights. I'm just wondering if I'll be able to control speed of rotations and different effects in the DMX profile of the Gigbar 2. Also, I've talked a friend who has a DDJ-SX2, into trying Rekordbox DJ. He's also buying the RB-DMX1. Will he be able to program different pads on the controller to do different light effects (colors, blackout) like the Agi Pro DJ video where Pulse demos this feature at NAMM? Or is that only possible with the DDJ-1000?

Mike Sinclair Answered

Official comment

@Mike > The Gig Bar is being added, other FX lights will come along later.

Any controller can have MIDI functions assigned to perform lighting controls. Personally, I don't use the sampler or any key-shift or pitch-play in my performances, so I could map all of those pads to lighting functions.

@Eduardo > No, but all you have to do is request one in the lighting fixture request forum (opening tomorrow). Altabase and our lighting team will be updating the database on a weekly basis.

Pulse
Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.

23 comments

+1 for Gigbar full funcitonality. I have some great ideas for light shows on a few specific songs and I'd love to be able to action them in 23 channel mode.

Random Hajile 1 vote

I'm also waiting for the RB-DMX1

Will it be possible to create your own lights. What happend if you have light from a manufacturer that is not included in the database?

Eduardo 0 votes

Pulse, will the Gigbar have motion (moving derby lights) and lasers etc... with the phrase analysis, or just changing colors? That's mostly what I'm wondering... will the basic scenes be color changing only or will they include rotations? Also, I had to log on with Firefox just now... Safari still won't let me log in.

Mike Sinclair 0 votes

I don't know full details yet, -- I just received an email the other day saying they would be adding the gig bar, that's it. More info will come.

The Safari login issue could just be a cookie / cache problem. Our team was able to finally get some updated code working today, they are still in testing, but glad to see it's working at all! :D

Pulse 0 votes

Do you know if they're adding the Gigbar 1 ... Gigbar 2 ... or both? I have the 2. And yes, it's nice to be able to get on here again. :)

Mike Sinclair 0 votes

OK... I'll just be patient and wait it out. I am really looking forward to the DDJ-1000 and the RB-DMX1 ... more so than I have any DJ equipment in a long time.

Mike Sinclair 0 votes

Pulse, Thanks. The Gigbar 2 is now added and since you can only assign one fixture type to it, the capabilities are crippled. This is a multi-effect light (strobes, derbys, pars, lasers) and the only thing that works with the RB-DMX1 is the two par effects. Any idea when (if) there will be a way to control everything? I have a gig end of May where I'll need full access. I guess, in a pinch, I can use "sound active" mode and bypass the RB-DMX1 ... but it would be nice not to have to do that. Thanks. DDJ-1000 ROCKS, by the way :)

Mike Sinclair 0 votes

Yeah, unfortunately adding control for the wide selection of "FX" lights out there is difficult as the type of functions and operations thereof vary so much from fixture to fixture. Our team was focused on getting the primary fixture types working first and will be integrating the other ones as time rolls on. The GigBar (1/2) were highly requested so our team managed to get the par functionality working (the one element of the unit which matches an existing fixture type), but I realize that's not all the unit can do and the operation is limited. Hopefully it won't be long before they integrate better support for it, but I don't see it being complete before the end of May, sorry.

Pulse 0 votes

Pulse, thanks for the response. Since the Gigbars are so popular, maybe they will be near the top of the list when the team starts working on other functions? Thanks.

Mike Sinclair 0 votes

Have there been any further updates to this? I've tried to select the proper parameters to control all lights and their functions, but the functionality is still limited...

@Pulse

ProdZenith 0 votes

GiG Bar Move Update,

So now the gig bar 2 is fully supported [rekordbox ready] and very satisfactory, thanks Pioneer! What about doing the same with the GIGBar move. Its really not Farr off as the first 23 Chanels are exactly the same, all we need is support for the moving heads. Unfortunately the GIGBAR Move preset as it is implemented right now in rekordbox is absolutely unusable. 

By the way, is any one else having the same issue as I do?

Here is my semi-workaround for now. I use the gig bar 2 setup for the first 23 Chanels of DMX then added the Moving Head 60W Prism V3 (standard mode) Fixture to have a little bit of something happening on one of the 2 moving heads go the GIGBAR Move. It's not perfect but at least I get something!

Dear Pioneer, would love a response. Cheers

Livingst0ne 0 votes

We try to update the list of supported fixtures as new ones come out. Thanks for your patience.

Pulse 0 votes

Thank you for your answer, but it feels kind of by default.

The GIGBar Move from Chauvet has been out for some time and has already been partially added to the Altabase but only as a 1 effect fixture. It is totally unusable if it is not properly configured (as the GIGBar 2 has been) This means that by sliding one fixture into the Fixture library venue you get multiple sub fixtures that take care of the Par, Rally, Strobes, laser and hopefully now,  the moving heads also. 

Or would it be feasible for pioneer to add the moving heads on their own? We could just add them up to the GIGBar 2 setup at the end of the DMX 23 Chanels and therefore add the missing 2x 6chs for the Moving heads. 

Here are the needed commands on 6 dmx Chanels 

The DMX chancels could be 1 to 6 and we could just put 2 of those back to back as I did in my workaround.

Right now I kinda made a semi-working workaround by using 2 TMH-155 moving head fixture setup that kind of gets the Chauvet heads working but without color. Here is my setup workaround. 

So, could you please create a standalone fixture for the GIGBar move heads? 

Best regards

Laurent Egli

Livingst0ne 0 votes

If you found a moving fixture whose profile aligned with those channels, you could effectively manage that yourself.

Pulse 0 votes

The fixture doesn't align and doesn't respond well. Because the DMX data is not the right one for colors and gobo. Do you read my post at all? Seems to me you're very interested to answer fast to keep that track record going on. But it also seems you don't read the questions that are posted here. Could you please do your homework and come up with either a solution or some detailed explanation about how to go about my problem. 

Thank you in advance.

Livingst0ne 0 votes

I'm providing a possible solution:

"If you found a moving fixture whose profile aligned with those channels..."

and yet you tell me:

"the DMX data is not the right one for colors and gobo"

...so that's not matching the fixture profile.

I'm sorry, but that particular unit is not supported currently. If you want it to work, you can do the homework and find a matching profile.

Pulse 0 votes

Thank you for your answer. I did and literally when and tried all the fixtures in the library that could eventually work (about 5 hours). But none does totally. The DMX Chanels could be right but the DMX commands aren't. 

So, as asked before; could you please create a standalone fixture for the GIGBar move heads with the previously provided information? 

Best regards.

Livingst0ne 0 votes