Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

5 followers Follow

Best way to copy a Recordbox USB flash drive?

Hello - hopefully this has an easy answer.  I'd like to create a copy of my USB Recordbox flash drive so I have an exact copy with me in case of failure or some other issue at a gig.  I've been doing a complete copy of the drive to my backup drive but this is really time consuming and ends up copying every music file each time when it's really not necessary since they haven't changed.  Is there an easier way to do this?  Is there a single playlist file that I can just copy over?  I've noticed the 'contents' folder seems to have only the music files, so I can copy that over and choose not to overwrite existing files so only the new files are copied over.  This would be ideal, but not sure what other files I need for my playlists.  I don't do anything else but play from the playlists - no cues, loops etc.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Randy

Randy Minten

Official comment

I'd recommend CarbonCopyCloner to ensure you have an exact copy every time.

If you want a speedier export, simply exporting the same playlists will ensure that the existing songs are not exported a second time. You could then do the same to both USB sticks.

Pulse
Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.

16 comments

Thanks - appreciate those suggestions.  So basically use the export feature in Recordbox to the backup drive and as I update my main drive then do the export to the backup drive to keep it in sync?  Does this also export any updated playlists?

Randy Minten 0 votes

Thank you I'll give this a try - appreciate the suggestions.

Randy Minten 0 votes

I can't get this to work.  Are you saying to use the Playlist menu - Export Playlist?  When I select the main playlist folder on my USB stick, that menu option is grayed out.  Can provide the steps I need to take to do what you're suggesting?

Thank you!

Randy Minten 0 votes

<SNIP>

Sorry, that's far more technical than the user needed, and uses methods which aren't necessary to accomplish the intended outcome.

DJ Gugge 0 votes

CarbonCopyCloner is for sure the way to go. Not only does CCC make a perfect clone of a CDJ usb but it can also create bootable backups of your startup disk. 

However if you are on a budget there is a way to duplicate sticks with the same results using DiskUtility (the free MacOS included disk management software from Apple). This technique is especially usefull when creating mutlitple copies of a single stick or if the number of USB ports is limited. the tutorial is at:

https://youtu.be/vFfgAkEZprs

@Pulse, is there a way to DM you there are some things I would like to discuss with your regarding conversion from other DJ platforms to Rekordbox?

MixMasterG 0 votes

@Randy > No you can't export FROM your USB drive, only from the main library. Honestly, the easiest two ways are to simply export the same playlists to two drives, or to use a cloning software (as noted above).

@MixMasterG > You can email me - pulse@dj<that_first_part_again>.ca

Pulse 0 votes

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! I'll have to give these a try and see what works best. Thanks!

Randy Minten 0 votes

Hi there, I just downloaded CarbonCopy and made a clone of my USB, but the playlists dont show up on the new USB.  All the files are there, and even the contents folder when I look at it on Finder, but when I open Rekordbox the USB doesnt contain any playlists. Any advice how to get them to show up? Thanks!

Randall Thompson 0 votes

I just opened Carbon Copy, selected my USB that has the rekordbox playlists as my source, and selected my brand new usb as the destiantion and then clicked clone, All the info was transfered when I look at it through Finder, but when I open rekordbox, none of the playlist show up

Randall Thompson 0 votes

Trust me, if you cloned it -- it's there. Where it MAY not appear is if you have both the old and new drive connected at the same time; the database will be pointing to the volume name and because you have two identical volume names connected at the same time, the system adds a "2" to the second one, breaking all of the paths in the database.

Pulse 0 votes

I only have the new cloned usb and when im viewing it in Rekordbox it doesnt show any playlists : /

Randall Thompson 0 votes

the target stick should be formatted identicall to the source stick.

The playlists (and other Pioneer specific data) is hidden on hfs formatted disks (a "." in front of the pioneer folder), but in the clear on Fat 32 sticks

MixMasterG 0 votes

Hmm I know the new stick is Mac OS Journaled, not sure how the original one is, I guess I should check and reformat and re clone the new stick?

Randall Thompson 0 votes