Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

6 followers Follow

Rekordbox Will not Batch Re-locate

Hi guys,

I'm aware this is an ongoing issue and I have read every post and youtube video has been watched.

I'm well aware of how moving file locations will cause massive issues so when I got my new laptop last week, I:

- Moved all music to one folder on macbook with no sub-folders

- Scanned for duplicate files and removed

- Installed rekordbox and added this one folder with around 5500 tracks and let them be analysed.

- Everything fine, starting to save cue points etc. 

- 2 days later more than 1500 files are displayed missing,

- Tried doing the whole batch re locate via selecting one file and clicking yes on using same location to find other files.

- Only one file at a time gets relocated :(

I cannot believe or understand why this has happened?

So very frustrating, please help :(

Thanks in advance

MannerisM

Please sign in to leave a comment.

15 comments

Are you using iTunes at all? If so, do you have it set to manage the location of your media (in the iTunes preferences)?

Pulse 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

No I'm Not I avoid iTunes like the plague and do not let my Djing library anywhere near it haha.

MannerisM 0 votes

Have you started with an empty rekordbox DB prior you were moving your music to one folder? Can you check if your file location matches exactly the path in the rekordbox DB? Let US know if there are difference even if it is only a difference in capital letters versus non capital.

I recently did massive relocations and it worked perfect.

I am on an Win10 PC.

Frank Richter 0 votes

Hi Frank,

- Fresh Rekord box install on a fresh HDD.
- Latest version of Rekord box

So everything was brand new, a whole new database that failed within 3 days. The weirdest thing is it couldn't locate 1500 tracks from 4500 that were all in the same folder with no sub folders.

It's enough to make you wanna throw your laptop out the window.....

But the laptop shouldn't suffer because of Rekordbox's behaviour I suppose.....

MannerisM 0 votes

As Frank said, check the location for a missing file in Rekordbox (select the track, go to View > Information Window, and check the Location in the Summary tab). Then make sure the file actually exists at that path with that exact filename.

I agree that it's frustrating, I recently fixed all of the filenames in my collection and subsequently had to relocate over 1500 files, one by one. But the only reason for files to go missing is if the file was moved or renamed, and Rekordbox doesn't do either. So something else must have moved/renamed your files.

Erik Minekus 0 votes

I appreciate the help guys and I understand the path file changing is the only thing that could make this happen but I promise you that they were all loaded in from the same folder and nothing changed whatsoever. And they were 100% all in the same folder when I tried to batch relocate but every time it reported back 0 tracks found. 

I've started from scratch again anyway. So the problem will hopefully decease :)

I have been reading the manual (whilst I start the whole process again from scratch) and I was curious if the Master Database file being on my main OSX drive whilst the music being on my 2nd internal HDD would cause any problems? Any thoughts?

MannerisM 0 votes

Not unless the volume name of the second HDD changes, then it won't be able to find your files. All my music is on an external drive without problems.

Erik Minekus 0 votes

Here's where the problems occur:

- a user has iTunes managing their songs; mass relocation won't work because the software moves individual songs into individual folders

- a user moves a heap of music to a new location, imports it again for some reason, then has duplicates; mass relocation won't work because the songs are already in the collection

If you're following the proper steps and not omitting any information, it will work properly. If you've skipped something or messed something else up yourself, you create more work and the system can't do what it needs to.

As you've already started from scratch, just don't mess with your music once it's imported. I don't know why DJs feel the need to do this! Have a plan for proper file management and stick with it.

There were previously some issues with users pulling music from a drive mounted in the optical bay of a MacBook Pro, but I'm not sure if that's still the case. Either way, you can have music and database located in different places.

Pulse 0 votes

There were previously some issues with users pulling music from a drive mounted in the optical bay of a MacBook Pro, but I'm not sure if that's still the case. Either way, you can have music and database located in different places.

I am using a HDD in an optical bay as mentioned above. Any chance someone can elaborate on whether this is still a problem? If it is I will most certainly be starting this process again... 

Thanks so much for mentioning this I really was taking care and thought I was going crazy :)

MannerisM 0 votes

Give it a try -- if you're able to browse the contents, you're fine.

Pulse 0 votes

Not to be course, but i think that is ment to be by "design" 

Martin db 0 votes

Hi chaps,

I'm having much the same issues as MannerisM has been having lately in regards to a large proportion of my 5000 Rekordbox files being listed as missing files. I have exhausted every video, forum and thread that is even remotely similar to the issue that I'm having, so I'd be incredibly grateful if anyone could help me out!

Firstly, I have tried to follow all of the previously suggested advice to the best of my ability (I'm not massively tech savvy), such as checking my iTunes preferences are not interfering with Rekordbox. I have also tried to locate the missing files, both individually and as a group, but with no success. The option to locate all missing files in the database says that I don't have any missing files (oh, I do) and when I relocate a track manually, select it from the desired location, and return to Rekordbox, nothing happens at all. Not even an error message.

What I have noticed however is that 98% of all of the tracks that are currently working in Rekordbox are songs that I have downloaded pre June 2015. The only songs that show after this date are songs that I have bought through iTunes, which is still a fair few, however I am missing 3 years of free downloads etc. now. I had the very same problem with Serato however never persevered in fixing it as it was never my intention to use Serato. Virtual DJ works fine however.

My files are somewhat unorganised as they are just kept in the downloads folder, as I have never had an issue whilst using iTunes or Virtual DJ I never thought I needed to organise it properly outside of VDJ or iTunes. Saying this however, every file is located in this Downloads folder, so I do know where they're located. I actually have a second (duplicate?) downloads folder called Downloads (1), which I have never deleted in fear of erasing my entire library of music. Maybe this has something to do with my problem? It hasn't always been there, but could have been created around June 2015, thus being the root cause of my problems? If so how would I go about fixing this?

Finally, as Frank mentioned earlier about the file location names being in capitals, the missing file's location name is very similar to the file's location that works. The missing file location is: 

/OWNER-PC/Users/Owner/Downloads/

And the working file is located in:

C://Users/Owner/Downloads/

I am not adverse to starting the whole Rekordbox process again if this is the easiest option as I have only analysed ~40% of my library so far, and if so how would I go about this.

Any help will be massively appreciated!

Josh Harris 0 votes

Did you move from Mac to PC? Those two file structures aren't the same (never mind the fact the second is incorrect; it should be C:\ not C://).

Pulse 0 votes

No I haven’t switched my laptop at all. How would I go about changing the file structure’s names then? At the moment I’ve just imported the files manually to my collection and as such I'm bypassing iTunes, and this works absolutely fine. I’m hesitant now to change things about and may just stick with what’s working?

Josh Harris 0 votes