Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

2 followers Follow

Multiple AS-1 tracks with a single AS-1 and SP-16

What's the best way to have multiple AS-1 midi tracks setup on the SP-16? I don't want them to play at the same time. For instance, I'm doing a live jam and I have 3 separate parts I want form the AS-1, 2 bass lines and 1 lead. I want them on different tracks, the patterns are different, and I'd switch the patch on the AS-1 depending on which is playing.

Can I just set each pad (say 14, 15, and 16) to a different midi channel and then switch the AS-1 to the midi channel that corresponds with what I want to play? I got that to work as I built them, but when I switched back to a previous channel, it didn't work.

Ideas? Is this possible? Is there a better workflow? Thank you!! 

Malik Idbeis Answered

Official comment

The AS-1 is monophonic and can only play from one patch at a time, so you'd have to record them somewhere, not something you could do live. Sorry!

Pulse
Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.

5 comments

Right. But can I build a pattern on pad 16 of the SP-16 and then a different pattern on pad 15 meant for different patches that would NOT be played at the same time? Like, I’d use the pattern on pad 16 with patch A on the AS-1 and then switch to the pattern on pad 16 and switch the AS-1 to patch B. I thought if I have th send data on different midi channels and switched the AS-1 to the corresponding channel it may work.

Malik Idbeis 0 votes

You would have the different patterns stored on different pads, but all to the same channel (although I'm saying this without my SP-16 in front of me and I can't recall if you can assign the same MIDI channel to different pads).

Pulse 0 votes

I’ll have to check when I get back in town. If you leave the midi channel the same (or use “all”) how would the SP-1/AS-1 know I want the pattern from Pad 15 sent and not Pad 16?

Malik Idbeis 0 votes