Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

2 followers Follow

[LIGHTING] Phrase correspondance when changing Moods or Banks (RB 5.2.3)

Thank you for adding the following feature in RB 5.2.3 (as well as the ability to modify Mood, Bank, Color, etc... from the software UI when connected to the RB-DMX1):

"Lighting panel lets you select the deck you want to use to control lighting when connected to the RB-DMX1."

There is still, however, as far as I can tell, no description about what happens to a scene/phrase when the mood or bank is changed (live in Performance mode, either from the controller or the RB DJ software with this new 5.2.3 feature).

Here is a table I made based on examining every single scene-phrase association (there are 196 of them) for every mood and bank (please correct me if I am wrong). This table has not changed between RB 5.2.2 and 5.2.3, as far as I can tell.

Assume you are playing a song which RB has analyzed to be in the MID mood, and assume the Cool Bank is selected for that song,and the current phrase of the song being played is VERSE1. At this initial stage, the active scene is "MID VERSE1 in the Cool bank".

Question 1: Which scene is activated when I change the MOOD of the song from MID to HIGH? "HIGH INTRO2 in the Cool bank"? "HIGH UP1 in the Cool Bank"? An other scene?

Question 2: Which scene is activated when I change the BANK of the song from Cool to Club1? "MID UP1 in the Club1 bank"? Another scene?

The reason I ask is that the software currently does not display anywhere the state of the current scene/phrase after modifications of the type I just described. This is actually quite important as you need to have some understanding of the effect of the change, if you are going to make a change, especially in a Live performance context.

Thanks for any help you can provide :)

Anacapa

Please sign in to leave a comment.

5 comments

I have the answer from our engineers, but unfortunately I can't post it publicly as the information is confidential. But to give you an idea, here's the answers specific to your question: MID VERSE 1 -> HIGH UP 1 would be the change in both of those cases.

The original mood analysis is what plays the primary decision in which phrase is used for the new mood; there are fewer "out" choices for a LOW song than MID or HIGH; for example there is no pairing for UP 3 or OUTRO 2  from any LOW phrases.

The expectation is that most of the lighting design would be pre-set, so any "on-the-fly" changes in a live scenario would be acceptable as a flexible option as they're temporary anyhow.

Pulse 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Thank you Pulse ;)

Can you at least say that any INTRO always changes to an INTRO (and never anything else), a CHORUS into a CHORUS, an OUTRO into an OUTRO, a VERSE into either a VERSE or an UP, an UP into a VERSE or an UP, a DOWN into a DOWN or a BRIDGE, a BRIDGE into a DOWN or a BRIDGE, and nothing else?

i.e. that the table of correspondance above is correct in aligning them that way?

Anacapa 0 votes

Intro > Intro

Chorus > Chorus

Outro > Outro

Bridge > Down / reverse

Verse > Up / reverse

Pulse 0 votes

Thank you Pulse ! This is good to know, I can make use of it.

Given the type of music that I mix (Kizomba/Semba/Zouk dance parties), I have unfortunately no use for the pre-defined scenes as they are. Therefore I have no choice but to use Custom scenes.

In terms of phrases, I need phrases for (1) Instrumental, (2) Verses, (3) Chorus, (4) Break, (5) Black-out. Intros are more like Breaks or Instrumentals, Outros more like Instrumental and Chorus. I use the available pre-defined phrases as follows: INTRO <- Instrumental, VERSE or UP <- Verses, CHORUS <- Chorus, DOWN or BRIDGE <- Breaks, OUTRO <- Blackout (All Off).

Given that one cannot so far permanently change the Moods (HIGH, MID, LOW) and that one has limited control to what happens when changing the Mood temporarily (i.e. which scene/phrase will play), I use the exact same scenes for all Moods. I.e., the scene for HIGH Cool Intro1 is identical to MID Cool Intro1 and LOW Cool Intro1, and I use the banks for the changes in atmosphere/colors. This will change when I can permanently associate a Mood to a song (in which case I will not need to manually change the mood each time I play the song, it will be recorded with the song).

When creating custom scenes or editing pre-defined scenes, I noticed a BUG when scenes are 8-bar long. What happens is that, when playing the song (in PERFORMANCE mode, or LIGHTING macro-editing mode), the scene contents of the last beat of the scene overlaps the scene that follows over one beat, creating weird (undesired) effects (see snapshot below): you can easily see what happens in the macro-editing mode. This fortunately does not happen for 4-bar long scenes, and so I use only 4-bar long custom scenes (I cannot use edited versions of the pre-defined scenes, which are mostly 8-bar long). I don't know about 16-bar or 32-bar long scenes.

Have you heard of that bug?

Anacapa 0 votes

Another question: is there a limit on the number of custom scenes (User Scenes) one can create? I may need to create many.. I imagine they are stored in the hardware for efficiency in "scene processing", in which there might be a limit.

Anacapa 0 votes