Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

2 followers Follow

Is the NXS2 units way more picky with USB sticks?

I normally play on 900 NXS / 2000 / 2000 NXS players on an average of 10 hours a week and never, I mean never ever, have any problems with them reading my USB sticks. Once in a while I play at a place with a NXS2 setup and have learned the hard way that they seem to be way more picky when it comes to USB sticks.

I carry Sandisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1 (I know I should upgrade but since they normally work perfectly all the timeI haven't seen the reason), one in FAT and one in HFS+. NXS2 units normally doesn't even recognise the HFS+ stick, the FAT formatted one works but sometimes launches the players into emergency loop. I carry a third stick, an old Super Talent Pico formatted in HFS+, used for years without any problems and yesterday that also suddenly disconnected. Luckily the Sandisk in FAT decided to work for 7 hours straight.

Is anyone else experiencing these problems? USB sticks that works for years without a single hiccup in other models are treated like trash by NXS2 units? This is the third time it happened so it's not one single faulty unit. Last nights players was on firmware 1.84.

And now I will go shopping for better sticks :)

The Henrik Maneuver

Please sign in to leave a comment.

4 comments

I'll applaud you for having a variety of drives and formats available just-in-case (rather than the ballsy "Everything is on this ONE USB drive, and it WILL work!" attitude). ;)

With some specific models, there could certainly be a conflict with the chipset manager (as is the case with the Corsair Survivor series drives in XDJ players), and that may be the case with your Ultra Fit in HFS+... but without testing, it's hard to say. It's unusual that they'd change their behaviour, unless they're just starting to show signs of failure. You might try formatting and re-exporting to see if that helps. 

I typically have mine formatted HFS+ and haven't had issues with loading those in NXS2's ... but then again, I'm also using the best drives I can buy. lol

Pulse 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

I'm aware that some specific models can be problematic for some players but since two different USB's, that always work in other units, are causing problems I'm starting to see a pattern. If anyone have a tip for a small and snug fitting USB stick that the NXS2 units love, I'm all ears, the extra security with a tiny stick that can't easily be knocked out of the player or nicked is very nice.

The Henrik Maneuver 0 votes

Have you ever considered getting a small right-angle adapter? I bought a handful of them online years ago and carry them around to shows for guys who complain about the fact their drives stick out.

It's not actually a "right" angle, but I believe it's referred to as an "up" angle:

That way your drive, no matter the size, is out of the way.

Pulse 0 votes

Good tip, thank you.

Just got word back from a colleague that used to have the same problems with NXS2 units, and yes he was using Sandisk mid range USB sticks.

The Henrik Maneuver 0 votes