Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

4 followers Follow

Itunes songs getting error message on rekordbox

I just got this system, ddj-400 and rekordbox dj.
I am using the newest ones. Rekordbox 5.4.2
Itunes im using version 12.9.2.6
As of 1/8/19all updated.
I checked off the box in Itunes to share with rekordbox. So everything shows up.
I click on the tree on the left and click on itunes- all tracks. The songs show up. But there is a red O with a slash on each song.
When i click on the song, i get an error message at the bottom in pink that says" Load Error. The file is not in a supported format.
Im using a dell, windows 10.
I cant figure out what is causing the problem and how to make it work.
Can someone please help.
I tried to search through all the forums, but have not been able to find a anything.

Elyssa Pena

Please sign in to leave a comment.

10 comments

Hey Elyssa,

Are you possibly trying to load songs from iTunes which are in iTunes Music, or cloud-based (not actually downloaded to your library)?

Pulse 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

When I download songs on itunes and leave them in the cloud/library they show up on the tree, although they still have that red circle with slash through it.  As soon as I click on download in Itunes, they dissapear from the tree.

I even went on the tree to the folder where they download to and they dont show up. I created a new folder on my desktop(for easy access) and put all the downloaded itunes songs in that folder, and they still do not show up.
So it wont let me load anything that is coming form Itunes. 

I have deleted every song from itunes and did a whole new installation and redownloaded some songs and still get the same problem.

If I go on a 3rd party site and download a song and drag it to the collection folder in the rekordbox tree. It seems to work.
But then that means that I would have to look for an mp3 song for whatever music i try to download on different sites. 

It should upload automatically with the itunes, right?
Is there something im missing? Or not doing right?
I dont think this was made to have to go look for different songs on different sites. just seems like a hassle if its supposed to integrate automatically. 

Elyssa Pena 0 votes

It sounds like you're doing a lot of things, but they're not necessarily wrong, just not beneficial to the solution.

If you want to use iTunes with rekordbox, you need to first ensure that you have the library being shared with rekordbox. Chances are you've done that given that you can see the playlists.

Next, per my last message, it's important that the songs are not cloud-based or Apple Music songs. They have to be songs you own and have physically downloaded. It sounds like some of them are, given that you were able to move them to the desktop... but just because the physical files for iTunes are in that folder doesn't necessarily mean rekordbox can pull them up from iTunes (if the library can't be examined).

I'm wondering if perhaps you are trying to load the songs directly from the iTunes tree itself rather than adding them to the rekordbox collection first?

Pulse 0 votes

Yes, im loading the songs straight from the itunes tree. Thats what its supposed to do right?
I checked the songs that i grab from itunes and under info it says (protected)(m4p) would that cause it?

Elyssa Pena 0 votes

Is that (protected) track an older iTunes purchase that may have DRM encryption?

Pulse 0 votes

No. I downloaded a song today. I didnt pay for it though. Just typed in name, and downloaded it.

Elyssa Pena 0 votes

Okay, that's probably Apple Music, not a true "downloaded" song - it's just cached it locally. That, unfortunately, can't be used.

Pulse 0 votes

I have the same problem as above described.....so.. obviously as iTunes user with an Apple Music subscription how can I use the rekordbox dj with iTunes?  ... and odnt tell me I need to cover to AAC ... as all iTunes Apple Music songs are protected even as I do I have membership. 

ed almeida 0 votes

Apple Music songs are not compatible for import to rekordbox; you must purchase and download the song, then it can be imported.

Pulse 0 votes

I have the same issue as described above.  I have a red circle next to the track.  Once I download a song, it disappears from the playlist in rekordbox.  How can we resolve that?

Steven Lacey 0 votes