Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

7 followers Follow

Beta 5.4.4. - share track analysis data using a server

Hi.

Can you please explain more about this new feature? Especially as you mentioned to include it into the subscription.

As I am owning rekordbox DJ - but not via a subscription, I want to understand if I can benefit from the feature or not. I don't want to share my analysis to others but not being able to benefit from others.

Sounds a bit egoistic, but if PioneerDJ is earning money from Data I am uploading, I want to ensure I can benefit as well without paying extra money.

Therefore it would be good to understand the business model for this feature.

Which by the way would be brilliant, if it is fair to the users.

Thanks

Frank Richter

Please sign in to leave a comment.

19 comments

In addition to my previous thoughts, you probably need to consider to activate or deactivate this function via the settings, in case users don't want to share this data.

Actually I think it is a good idea but it need to be more clear how this will be implemented before I am finally convinced.

Thanks

Frank Richter 1 vote

I agree with your comments @Frank Richter

Just my guess about this feature :)

This is a preparation for a feature that will be launched in the future where will be required to share of Analysis information of the tracks.

It can be some improvement in the Lightning mode for instance.

Since I cannot see the entire picture, I will also not install this beta version and do not want to use this feature until be clear what Pioneer is going to do with this information we are going to share, another reason is because today my Library contain around 12000 tracks and the anlysis process was always very fast and I do not have any problem with that, so this Share Analysis feature is useless for me for now.

I would prefer that Pioneer invest their time and efforts adding other features such as Ableton Link or add improvements in Lightning mode.

Of course these are speculations and guesses from my side maybe Pioneer are working on these features, but nothing is clear at this moment and this scenario is not confortable at least for me.

Sérgio

sbherculano 0 votes

"Sounds a bit egoistic, but if PioneerDJ is earning money from Data I am uploading, I want to ensure I can benefit as well without paying extra money."

It's really more of a benefit to users where the songs they're analysing might require tweaking to the grid for accuracy. I don't see how this would be a detriment to the user, and yes, it can be disabled if you want. No tinfoil hat required.

Pulse 0 votes

@Sergio > The majority of these features don't detract from other aspects of the software. Trust me when I say the lighting team has nothing to do with this analysis database.

Pulse 1 vote

So am I understanding it correctly that this will be a plus pack or part of the subscription?

Ves 0 votes

@Pulse

Thanks for stepping in...

Not sure I understand your feedback.
What I am currently understand is if users having activated the function, data will be uploaded to PioneerDJ whenever they are analysing a file. Does this has to do with the analysis only or is this about i.e. I have adjusted the beatgrid for more accuracy and this is what gets uploaded? Maybe I didn't get it right.

On The other side - users who want to benefit will have to pay for? But what do they get? Faster analysis only or beatgrids (maybe adjusted by others) to maybe save time when checking the beatgrids for a track added new in the collection.

Maybe it helps better understand if we get a bit more details.

Thanks

Frank Richter 0 votes

@Frank > Rather than analyse the file locally, it will first check to see if a fingerprint of your song already exists in the database, then it will match it and download the analysis file instead of generating it. I don't have all the details yet, but my understanding is they're possibly hoping to use improved analysis on a server for more accurate gridding and sharing.

I haven't heard of this being at a cost to anyone.

Pulse 1 vote

Where do you disable it? Wondering in case people ask about it.

Could not find it in the settings, thought perhaps because it's a beta there is no option to turn it off as the engineer want to see the responses. 

Ves 0 votes

@Pulse.

Ok - so in terms of sharing, it is not about cues & hot cues. It would be mainly beatgrid to get to a faster results. It is not even about accuracy. Instead of analyse locally, the result is downloaded from the DB if the fingerprint matches.

Would be interesting how much faster it is...

Do I got it right now?

Frank Richter 0 votes

I haven't tested it for myself, and I've asked the rekordbox team to provide additional details for the public on how this system will work, but yes - you should already have access to this if you are running the 5.4.4 beta.

Pulse 0 votes

That feature sounds great!

I don't mind sharing my beat grids if it helps the community.

Just curious how a correct beat grid will be identified (vs an off grid being used and applied to all users).

Kevin Becher 0 votes

I will NEVER share my analysed info and my edited grids. 

Really dont understand why Pioneer would ad this function.... 

michel 0 votes

@Pulse> Yes, its my data, i've put my time in it to analyse, personalise and change the grid to perfection. Wouldn't share it with nobody!

michel 0 votes

And wouldn't you want to save the effort of having your tracks achieve that perfection by receiving the analysis work done by others? It seems pretty narrow-minded to suggest that you wouldn't want to share your grid with the hive. It's not your playlists and set histories you're sharing...

Pulse 0 votes

@Pulse, can you please clarify with the engineers what we are discussing:

Shared Data: 

1. is it only the stripe?
  2. same, plus the beatgrid details (inizio, bpm, etc)?
  3. same, plus the user cues and loops?

Shared Direction:

1. Is it download-only from a pioneer server towards the users? In this case Pioneer would have to analyze every possible track
  2. Or does it include uploads from the users towards pioneer, so that it enables #1 dynamically?
  3. if case #2 is correct: what happens when two users edit the beatgrid of the same track? does the user that does his editing later "wins" and replaces the previous beatgrid?

thanks

pedro estrela 0 votes

Currently it's ONLY the waveform analysis. The process uses an audio checksum of the file to compare to the database, if there is a matching checksum, it will grab the data from the server. If there is not, your computer will provide the analysis and upload it.

No grid edits, phrase analysis, hot cues, loops, etc. are currently being shared.

They are working on the protocols and policies for how things like beat grids and edits will work, as you're asking the same questions I did when I heard about this the first time. Like if my analysis of a track is TOTALLY wrong, when it's the first one uploaded, is there error-correction or will everyone else automatically get my wrong grid?

More details will be forthcoming. As noted, this is still in beta and you opt-in to participate.

Pulse 0 votes

@pulse> no would not use it would not share it. If i import some songs in Rekordbox it would take a few seconds to analyse, after that only minor adjust and its ready. So why should i use this option.... only trust my one data.

michel 0 votes