Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

4 followers Follow

XDJ-RX2 keeps freezing when i search for songs

I was doing a boxing event last night and one of the fighters asked me for The Fugees - Ready or Not, for his walk down entrance music before the event started. I come back to my DJ booth where i had background music playing, clicked on the search function, typed in RE then the whole console froze and music stopped. I just had to turn the system off (with Hard drive still in) which i didnt want to do incase it corrupted it. When i turned it off all the lights were still on. Then i turned it back off and it seemed to reset itself. When it come back on i thought i would try again and it done exactly the same, got to RE then the whole thing froze again. I reset it again then didnt bother searching no more. At the end of the gig 4 hours later i tried again and it done exactly the same thing after typing in RE. If anyone from now on asks for requests which i will have to search for i will have absolutely no confidence that my console will just freeze in the middle of a gig.

I am running a 1TB external hard drive formatted to Fat32. It currently has about 27000 song on it.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or does Pioneer have a solution to gain my confidence back, Thanks.

Liam Haines

Please sign in to leave a comment.

10 comments

I have the updated rekordbox, i have not plugged my RX2 into my PC tho. I have looked into it further and it seems to be anything with ‘R’ in it. Freezes after i type ‘R’. If there is new firmware for it i will plug them in tonight

Liam Haines 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Its a Seagate Back up Plus 1TB. Been using it since March 2018 with the RX2 with no issues.

Liam Haines 0 votes

27000 songs? Thats way to much!

Keep it short and sweet. Or get smaller spare drives like SSDs

Traditional drives are a no go!

I have tried with 50 000 tracks on one drive  and that did not work well!

Around 10 000 mark for each device are adequate. And use both ports. thats at least 20 000 tracks together!

Check the Rekordbox library for duplicates as well. Including mp3 / flac with corrupted tag info or weird letters or numbering!

At least get a SSD!

Martin db 0 votes

All the files are fine, none of them mess up. I have updated the firmware and re-sync’d the files and it works fine. I am predominantly a wedding DJ so need to keep everything from 60’s and update everyweek to keep up to date with the latest music. So its only going to get bigger. I have seen some videos of the Denon Prime 4 which can take a full 1TB hard drive with no problem. Looks like i will need to exchange to the 4 Channel stand alone Denon!

Liam Haines 1 vote

I have been djn for 29 years, and used most of the gear that have been offered or at our disposal both regarding private parties, weddings, nightclubs and such. Never had any "major" issues.

People need to understand that traditional hard drives  do not cut it any more!
Its the digital age, and with that comes speed!

Regrettably i do not think or can see that the Prime 4 should solve your problem.
Have you even tried it out?

It feels big, flimsy and not solid.

Its your preparation and how you use the gear with software that is the most important thing.

To think that you can smack a load of tracks onto a drive and then it would work its kind of naive.

I can run any party and any wedding with just a RX2 and with my phone as a backup if i should run into problems. Its small, it looks and sound good, the price was top notch and the quality feels just like my NX2s.

But the choice is yours, if you feel conflicted or loosing business because of this, no one can blame you. I on the other hand are my own boss and as of now im a hardcore fan of Pioneer.

Why?

Simple, less is more and it works as intended!

Denon does not!

Martin db 0 votes

The larger the collection, the larger a database it has to store in memory, thus creating more effort when trying to navigate or search the contents. If the database is larger than the memory space, it has to call it back from the drive, which is also slow... then there's always the chance that your drive is requiring more power than the RX2 can provide to the USB (slim chance this is the actual problem, but it's something to note).

You also didn't reply to @Jay's question about the firmware version, or if you updated the firmware ... and if so, did it make a difference.

Pulse 0 votes

Hi, Sorry for the delay. I updated the firmware and also re-sync’d my hard drive and it seemed to sort the problem out. Im on my 3rd gig since the problem and all has been ok. Although when somebody asks for a song which i have to search for i still get anxious. I have started a long process of deleting duplicate songs. Although my music collection will be for ever getting bigger. Having it split onto 2 hard drives is not very practical and i get asked for the most random stuff. My music collection have been built up of requests over time so at one point or another i would have been asked for most of the stuff on here.

What is the memory space on the RX2?

I do love the feel of the RX2, its nice and sturdy, if i was a DJ that focused on 1 genre of music and can make a small playlist for the night it would be perfect, but for a wedding DJ im still not sure it is the right bit of kit. I hope im wrong.

Liam Haines 0 votes

As a mobile DJ myself, I know the pain - you want to keep all the songs you ever get just in case someone asks for it, but we both know that in all reality, it likely won't make or break the party if you don't have that one single song from the 1980's that's never been requested before, but you keep carrying it around. lol I need to clean my collection as well; with well over 50,000 songs, I feel like a digital hoarder.

The exact memory space numbers are not available publicly, but we typically suggest an export library of 20,000 songs should operate without issue, but much larger libraries have been tested and work (albeit slower).

Pulse 0 votes