Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

3 followers Follow

Beatport Link Playlist Creator

TLDR;

Beatport Link Playlists are a pain to create. So I got one of my developers at work to create a bookmarklet that copies tracks on any Chart or Cart page on beatport.com to a Beatport Link Playlist.

Long version:

I love the prospect of streaming tracks into DJ gear. And for a first beta Rekordbox implementation of Beatport Link and Soundcloud is pretty good.

The issue is - there is no search and track selection from Beatport Link is slow.

So I had one of the developers I work with look into how beatport works and he managed to create a "beta" bookmarklet that copies the tracks from any Chart page or Cart page - into one of your Beatport Link playlists.

What is a bookmarklet?

Its basically a bookmark with a bit of javascript code that you can run on a webpage by clicking it in your bookmark bar.

Help test?

Anyone interested in helping me test? It works pretty well for me sofar.

FreshTechno

Please sign in to leave a comment.

17 comments

me i want to test this please. my long post talks about exactly this problem, and i've told beatport about it. they need to do something on their site but this looks like u've done it. put it on the Beatport uservoice forum too if you would.

I will happily test on Chrome, Firefox and Edge.

Robbie

Robbie Ennoia-Abstrkt Miller 0 votes

Hey man,

I don't have Instgram, nor do I really want it so I have to reply to you here.

Gave it a quick test and it works for Carts but not Charts on Chrome and FF on win 10.

You can add to a Chart to a Cart and thus to a playlist but it gives the error message from the 5 or so charts I've tried.

But otherwise good work.

The suggestions you already have in the tutorial as far as Improvements go are great, do them hehe.

Peace

Robbie

Hey Robbie thanks for testing and letting me know. Can you post the beatport URL that wasnt working for you here? Ill check and out and fix it.

FreshTechno 0 votes

Ah custom charts - good point missed that.

The tool works on top-100 genre charts but not custom charts. Ill update it and will confirm once done.

FreshTechno 0 votes

sweet... yup fixed!

i do have a suggestion that i really need for my workflow....

playlists>carts for purchase of uncompressed tracks if they're good enough. 

so the reverse? problem I can see with that is that you cant edit beatport playlists in rekordbox right? So the tracks on the playlist would be a mix of ones you want to purchase and dont want to purchse. So you would have to manually select them anyway - so you might as well do this in the beatport website - browse to the playlist - and right click "open in new tab" each track you want to buy.

Maybe i misunderstood your request

FreshTechno 0 votes

well it's not strictly true, you can import Beatport Playlists to your own collection where they are editable but you can't send this as syncable info back to Beatport... Yet. I've already asked for that feature, we're in beta so hopefully they're working on things like that for the next/final 1st version.

Also i'd rather edit the Playlist in Beatport with the minus buttons and then single click to make a new cart. I hate the Add to cart button for every track when i can organise myself much better than apparently they can.

@Robbie - ah ok i see what you mean - your talking about the Rekordbox collection. Yeah I dont think that will be possible. But a single click "add to cart" from a playlist should be possible for sure. Ill add that to the todo list.

@Kompiler - good idea - so your talking about "top releases" charts rather then "top tracks" - and "releases" added to a cart. I can have a look at that to see how easy it is.

FreshTechno 0 votes

Hi FTechno,

Just to clarify, I don't expect you to do Pioneers job for them and make my RB collection sync and create carts with BP. However I can manually remove tracks by comparing an edited version of the BP playlist in RB and just remove the tracks I don;t want on the BP side.

Then with your magic button I can send it to a cart and purchase.

I'm hoping that eventually we'll be able to make playlists in RB of BPLink tracks and then send them to the BP Library. Then your magic button will be even more powerful. Haha.

Although TBH you've done the work that BP should have done in such a short time... They need to implement it in their own site ASAP. why are companies always so slow to make things integrated and simple?

Not just top releases - any kind of release.  What I have noticed is if you add all tracks in a release to your cart BP converts the item to a "release" where instead of seeing all the tracks you see the 1 release.  Unfortunately the script is not currently enumerating into the release and extracting all the tracks.

For example if you add this release to your cart then use the tool it should end up being 63 tracks added to the playlist.  https://www.beatport.com/release/drum-and-bassarena-2019/2617617

Thanks so much for making this tool - it's something BP should have done before rolling this in to beta.  Searching for tracks is a PITA!

Kompiler 0 votes

@Kompiler - I did a quick fix so you can add tracks on any "release" page to a playlist.

So going to https://www.beatport.com/release/drum-and-bassarena-2019/2617617 and running BPPL will work and add the tracks.

I havent been able to look at how to deal with releases in a cart or releases chart.

@Robbie ill have a look if I can find a way to run BPPL on a playlist page and add all tracks into your Cart

FreshTechno 0 votes