Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

4 followers Follow

Specific tracks are "collapsed" on CDJ2000nxs but not Rekordbox DJ

I have a few tracks (all from 1 artist) that play just fine in Rekordbox DJ on my laptop, but will not play in any format on CDJs.  When I load the tracks on the CDJ, it reads "media file is collapsed"

- I have other music from this artists catalogue, no issues playing those

- since it's only 3-4 songs, I've re-purchased on multiple platforms.  iTunes, Bandcamp, Amazon.  MP3, WAV, AIF.  All formats will not play.

- I've put the track into my DAW and exported using the settings I export my own music with (which plays fine on CDJs).  the exports from my DAW got the same message

- I use rekordbox's features heavily (grids, cuepoints, loops) and everything works fine on my USB except for these few songs, so I'm 99% sure this is not a user error on my part

Does anyone know of any other underlying issues that might cause this?  I don't have daily access to CDJs so this has been a gamble at every gig (not that these 3 specific songs make a difference, but when you have the perfect transition in mind and the song won't load, it's very frustrating!)

Nick Carr

Please sign in to leave a comment.

4 comments

Sounds like bad files to me. Make sure you check any mp3's for errors, the program MP3 Scan + Repair does the trick. In case of lossless files just re-encode it to another format and back again. Heavy cover art could also be the culprit. Show up early for your next gig with several new "versions" of the corrupt files and try which ones work. Keep in mind that the CDJ's are more sensitive to corrupt files than the computer.

The Henrik Maneuver 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

The other thing you can do is to format and re-export to see if it was an issue with the export, the device, or the file itself.

Pulse 0 votes

Thanks for the advice guys!

Not sure if I will have time to do a full format and re-export before my gig tomorrow, but will certainly try this after.

I'm also going to remove all instances of these tracks from rekordbox, run them through MP3 Scan & Repair and re-import with no cover art.

However, this does not explain why the tracks I exported from my DAW didn't work....  I produce a track in Ableton, export it, it plays fine on the CDJ.  I load these songs into a track on Ableton, export, and the file is collapsed just like the original.... how is that possible?

Nick Carr 0 votes

@Nick > If it's DSP-Quattro, then I know why... we've been in touch with the software engineers to resolve an issue with their export function.

Pulse 0 votes