Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

2 followers Follow

ID3 tags & M4A files - info not loading

I recently switched to m4a files from mp3. I'm having a problem pulling through ID3 tags on my m4a files into Rekorbox? The files play fine (so the encoding isn't causing any issue). Most importantly I just can't seem to get Key (I use MIK) to pull through into Rekordbox. I've used a couple of tag editors to check key is stored within the file & it's there. Track Name, etc seems to come through ok? Anyone have any experience with this issue? Anyone offer any advice to fix this?
Mark Heaslip

Please sign in to leave a comment.

3 comments

Check the actual name of the ID3 tag with kid3. Rekordbox only reads the "key" tag for M4A files, but some other programs write the key to the "initialkey" tag.

Erik Minekus 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Using kid3 helped, as I discovered that the tag editors I was using were not actually tagging the correct fields - even the one where I can specifically type a field name in e.g. entering "key" as the tag to update instead of "initialkey" was still just only updating the "initialkey" tag.

However, another issue popped up with using kid3 and that was m4a files becoming corrupted. Not exactly sure what was happening, but a large chunk of my files randomly lost tags & became unable to be played. I replaced them and tried again, then carried on & the same thing happened to other m4a files.

I decided to cut my losses & that tagging apps (I was using 5 at one point trying to fix this) are not ready for advanced tagging on m4a/aac files, so I reverted back to using mp3s...

In short, if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it!

Mark Heaslip 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink