Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

1 follower Follow

Is the SP-16 going to be discontinued?

I see the price dropped quite a bit to $899. It's quite a few years old now I think going on 4? and the updates for it over the years have been scarce. It's almost 2020 and from the usual trend of music equipment a huge price drop and ending year after a run means a product is going to be discontinued (especially with NAMM around the corner). On top of that it doesn't seem to have done all that well with against Elektron's Digitakt & Octatrakt, Akai's MPC Live, Rolands TR8S and NI's Maschine. I see those a lot in peoples setups but not so much the SP-16. Is Pioneer chucking this thing into the wind to release something else that's more capable?

Going through the updates in detail and seeing what they did decide to release it seems to me that this hardware has physical limitations that limit what they can actually program into it. The updates are really kind of minimal things that aren't exactly going to make people rush out and buy a unit just because it samples to 64seconds or has some new midi features. Just seems like they would come out better designing a whole new unit that can do what people have been asking than to keep patching up a sinking ship.

JohnQ

Please sign in to leave a comment.