Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

4 followers Follow

Relocated iTunes music path. Now rekordbox is missing the queue points and analyzed track data for iTunes PLAYLISTS

I switched from a Windows to a Mac. Running iTunes, not Apple Music.

I made a copy of the iTunes Library.itl file into a new drive location. It's a network storage.

On the new Mac running iTunes (not Apple Music), I opened a new library.itl file which is now stored on a network storage. iTunes took care of the music path locations. Changed the drive from A:/ (Windows format) to /Volume/iTunes/ (Mac format). I did NOT use the iTunes Consolidate option and keep "iTunes Media Folder organized" option in iTunes is unchecked.

I had made a copy of rekordbox library by going to File>Library>Backup Library on Windows.

On the new Mac, iTunes works and reads my music files and playlists are fine.

I open rekordbox and go to File>Library>Restore Library. It does it's thing. Once done, I see my iTunes playlists and I can play the files, but I'm missing rekordbox analyzed data and queue points for iTunes PLAYLISTS only. The Collection in rekordbox has all the data and queue points.

RD A Answered

Official comment

You can follow @MixMasterG's directions below, but generally, we don't support use of a network storage location. The best workaround for it would be to use a symlink to point it to a local path instead of the network share path.

Pulse
Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.

6 comments

Sounds like you know pretty much what you're doing.

The problem is indeed the changed file path, see this tutorial for full explanation

The solution:

because you know what you're doing export the collection on the Windows computer to XML. Open the XML in a text editor that doesn't change the formatting of the file (I use BBedit on MacOS, it got a free 30 day demo and is worth its money). Given the tracks were already on that external (network) drive this should work flawless. 

Example:

search

Location="file://localhost/C:

replace with

Location="file://localhost/Volumes/DriveNameHere

MixMasterG 0 votes

Thanks for the directions and the link - I watched it all. @MixMasterG.

Can you clarify, do I need to do this on the Windows XML file and then export it to Mac? What if I already have a copy of the XML on the Mac before reading your comments, and I edit it AFTER importing all of the libraries over to Mac? I went ahead and edited the XML using the BBedit app you recommended to the correct path on the Mac. I pointed Rekordbox to the location of the edited XML file. Music plays fine.

However, my rekordbox database is on a local location and I think that's where the problem lies.

(1) I'm not having an issue playing the music files on rekordbox or through the iTunes playlists inside of rekordbox.

(2) I'm having an issue retrieving queue points, analyzed songs, etc only inside of the iTunes playlists inside of the left side column in rekordbox. 

Ardi A 0 votes

1) that means you did edit the filepaths in the iTunes xml correct

2) Rekordbox uses the absolute file path to link a track to its cues/loops. 

You can do exactly the same: export the Rekordbox.xml (from Rekordbox) edit the file paths from Windows to MacOS and import the Rekordbox.xml (this is NOT the iTunes.xml) in Rekordbox MacOS. see this tutorial for info on the filepath/cue link:

MixMasterG 0 votes

Hey mates @MixMasterG @Pulse, I've tried all of the known methods as far as I can and I still can't get the data points to be associated with iTunes playlists. The music files work fine.

1. I've edited XML files for iTunes and Rekordbox and pointed it to the edited files
  2. I've restored a backup copy of Rekordbox on the new Mac.
  3. I've moved the database from Windows to an external drive, and went to RB on the new Mac>Preferences>Advanced and selected the new drive.

My iTunes playlists work fine except, they do not have any data or cue points associated with them. I need this part desperately!

Rekordbox otherwise has all of the data and cue points in the new Mac.

RD A 0 votes

OK boomers, @MixMasterG @Pulse I resolved it!

For anyone that may have the same problem as me, here's what I did to get it to work:

1. Test that you have no missing files by going to File>Display All Missing Files. If you do, correct it. There are videos on how to fix this part if it's your entire library.

2. You need to browse to the iTunes drop-down on the left column>right click on the iTunes playlists you want to carry over to your new computer/OS>Import Playlist so it carries it over to rekodbox's database location and music storage.

3. Make a full backup of rekordbox's library to an external hard drive by going to Preferences>Library>Backup Library>Select an external drive compatible for both Windows and Mac.

4. Export iTunes Library as XML inside of iTunes. Edit the XML using an XML editor to point to correct file path as @MixMasterG said above:

Example:

search

Location="file://localhost/C: (Windows file path formatting)

replace with

Location="file://localhost/Volumes/DriveNameHere (Mac file path formatting)

5. Go to new computer/OS's rekordbox>Preferences>Advanced>point the edited iTunes XML file and possibly the edited rekordbox XML file to the corresponding box.

6. On the new computer/OS's rekordbox>File>Library>Restore Library>select the external hard drive from step 3 above. If it asks you to pick a new drive, I chose my other external drive which is formatted only for Macs and is way faster (SSD).

7. Test that you have no missing files by going to File>Display All Missing Files.

8. Test that you have all of your rekordbox data as well.

9. See you on the dance floor!

RD A 0 votes