Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

2 followers Follow

replaing PC's SSD & Windows operation system

So I'm about to make one giant leap and to be honest I'm a bit worried

Here's my situation: My existing set up in a Win7 PC with my OS files on a 250GB SSD (C Drive) and all my files including my colossal (iTunes) music library stored on an internal 3TB drive (E Drive)

I'm about to replace the C Drive with a newer, larger SSD and also install a fresh Win10 OS

I'm reasonably confident that I can get the system up and working with the new SSD & OS and I also have a fall-back plan too, just in case

Here are my biggest concerns: Rekordbox > pointing the freshly installed RB at an existing library (still on my E Drive) without having to reanalyse the entire library - Please Note: essentially my music files are not being moved and will remain in "E:\music\iTunes\iTunes media\music"

My other query is: although I don't really use Performance Mode I do have a licence for it installed and wonder how I transfer that to the updated set up?

Grateful for guidance

George (UK)

George James

Please sign in to leave a comment.

5 comments

@George > Glad you asked before you undertook the task! ;)

So long as everything is still going to be in the same locations it was before the drive swap, there will be no changes to rekordbox. Your database is in the same place, your music files are in the same place.

The key is to ensure that if you're installing Windows 10 that you use the exact same user name for your account so the path doesn't change. That said, if you use the easier method of File > Library > Backup Library and then on the new computer go File > Library > Restore Library, the system paths will be updated anyhow.

Re: the license, just remember to deactivate rekordbox before you terminate Windows 7 use.

Pulse 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Thanks Pulse but just to be clear I'm doing a fresh install of win10 on the SSD. RB will be installed afresh too so I'm guessing I'm going to have to import the original database from somewhere?

I'm a little confused about backing up the library, does this just backup the database of my songs and their locations or is it going to try to back up my whole library of music files of which there are literally TBs

Cheers for the deactivation tip

George

George James 0 votes

@George > You can opt to backup the music as well (you're asked during the process), but if it's already on another drive and it's not being moved, there's no need to include it.

Pulse 0 votes

@ Pulse > just wanted to say a big thank you, everything went smoothly and I'm all back up and running

George

George James 0 votes