Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

7 followers Follow

Rekordbox 6.0 Ableton Link Feature - How Is It Intended To Work?

Hi folks,

I'm just trying to evaluate the new Ableton Link function in Rekordbox 6.0, but I can't understand how it's supposed to work?

First of all, I only really use Rekordbox in Export mode with Pro DJ Link, since I have a CDJ/DJM setup (I don't use a controller). It took me a while to realise that the new Ableton Link function doesn't seem to be available in Export mode!? is this the case? I can't understand this limitation.

Anyway, I switched to Performance mode just to see how it's intended to work.

I'm on Windows 10, and inside Ableton 10 the link feature in the settings can't be enabled unless an ASIO source is selected for the Ableton output. So I selected the ASIO DJM output, since my intended scenario is to output to one of the four channels on my DJM mixer (connected via USB).

However, ASIO is exclusive and cannot be shared between applications (as far as I'm aware) so this implies that I'd need to have a second audio interface for Rekordbox, plus an additional cable running into my mixer?

So I'm really confused about what the intended usage or scenario is for this new feature.

The Rekordbox 6.0 manual doesn't mention anything about usage scenarios, connected hardware setups, or the fact that it only works in Performance mode. It only has a short section about how to turn it on and off, and how to adjust the tempo.

Please don't tell me I'm supposed to have a second, separate audio interface (or even worse) two separate PC/Laptops in order to actually use this feature?

Thanks...

ALZA

Please sign in to leave a comment.

20 comments

Ableton Link = it's a sync between Rekordbox and Ableton Live. You launch sounds in Ableton and you can synchronize RB decks on it => performance mode. No sense in Export mode.
Click the Link buttons on each software, then Link also on the decks you want to synchronize and you're done.
But for instance, it's still need to be improve: quite easy to sync from Ableton to RB, but not really from RB to Ableton.

BAB's Ol 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

@Alza > The Ableton Link function is not intended for Export mode to sync; it's specifically for performance mode.

Why don't you start by telling me how you want to use Ableton Link with the hardware and software you're currently using, and I'll provide some advice on how to configure things and use it. :)

Pulse 0 votes

Hello.
To connect DDj-1000 with Ableton Link you need external sound card ???
Cause when i choose from Ableton Preferences (Asio Audio)  the sound of Ableton sounds from Laptop and the Sound from DDj 1000 Sounds from Speakers..
Thanks

HoRuS 0 votes

@HoRuS > The DDJ-1000 audio interface would already be in use with rekordbox, so it's not available to Ableton Live as well. You would need another audio device to work with that application if you're planning on outputting audio from there,

Pulse 0 votes

Its any chance company will release Manual about HOW to connect controller with Ableton Link Audio?

HoRuS 0 votes

Ofc not only for DDJ-1000 .
I think all Pioneer Controllers will have the same Manual.

HoRuS 0 votes

I meant did you mean using the DDJ with Ableton ONLY or while using other software such as rekordbox as well?

Pulse 0 votes

I want to play Music with ddj-1000 with Rekorbox Software and simultaneously  put samples and sounds from Ableton Live and play all  sounds together

HoRuS 0 votes

As I previously noted, the audio device can not be shared by two applications, so you would need an additional interface to output the audio from Ableton Live.

Pulse 0 votes

Hi folks,

Re: this feature working in Export mode with Pro DJ Link, I had hoped this would have been included, since it's already possible using third-party methods, for example:

https://www.prodjlink.com/help/ableton-link
https://blt-guide.deepsymmetry.org/beat-link-trigger/0.6.1/link
https://github.com/g-zi/CDJ_Clock (uses MIDI instead of Ableton Link, but same idea)

But of course these methods have more moving parts and more complexity, so I was really hoping for a built-in solution from Pioneer DJ when I heard about the new feature.

Alas it looks like I will have to use these third-party methods, if Pioneer DJ is only going to support this feature in Performance mode.

The point others have raised about the Ableton Link feature in Performance mode requiring TWO interfaces is one of the issues I mentioned back in my first post.

Requiring two interfaces adds complexity that I wish to avoid.

Supporting the link feature in Export mode would only require ONE audio interface, since in Export mode the CDJ players are used to play tracks, not Rekordbox.

Finally, the fact that the feature only works in Performance mode is significant, and not obvious to users, and so I think it warrants an explicit mention in the user manual (the current v6.0 manual doesn't). 

Thanks!

ALZA 0 votes

Hi all, for what it is worth I too was hoping that Ableton Link would be included in Rekordbox export mode. I currently use CDJ2000 NXS2 and I much prefer using them with Pro DJ Link rather than performance mode. It makes sense to include the Ableton Link function for all users of Rekordbox if possible. I hope that this can be included in a future upate of Rekordbox.

JK 0 votes

Is it now possibel to connect my Hardware Setup and Bitwig with Rekordbox via Ableton Link? Would be nice, i use it so far only to prepare my tracks for djsets, because i play on cdj`s at partys, but my flatmate has the ddj-1000 and if it works i would also get a own controller for at home. But if it wouldn`t be possibel to play a Hybrid-Set, how it should work, that would not make sense for me.

Tobias Pfeffer 0 votes

Hi! I'm also struggling with my Ableton Link setup.  I have:

- DJM-800

- 2x XDJ-700

- Macbook with Ableton

- Network switch

I'd like to be able to use Ableton Link as expected.  That is, I'd like to be able to start samples in Ableton and have them automatically sync'd to the music my XDJs are playing.

When I'm not using Ableton, I play using just a USB, so no need for Performance mode.  All I want is for rekordbox to keep Ableton's BPM in sync.

Am I understanding correctly that this is actually not possible without 3rd party software?

Chris Hancock 0 votes

Hey Chris,

Unfortunately Ableton Link only works from Performance mode. You could certainly use the MIDI output from the DJM-800 to sync the BPM within Ableton (using the DJM as the clock source).

Pulse 0 votes

Correct, although as the 3rd option does so illegally, I cannot recommend it officially.

Pulse 0 votes