Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

4 followers Follow

Rekordbox ID3 Tag Bug - Release Date

Hi Pioneer!

I've come across a concerning bug related to ID3 tags.  When importing a song, Rekordbox reads in the "Release Date" field from the ID3 tag "Release Time" in YYYY-MM-DD format.  Beatport seems to populate that field and the "Orig Year" field with that data, so it's pretty useful to have.

However (and this is the bug), if you then make a modification in Rekordbox to another field such as the comment or the artist or title, Rekordbox will update that ID3 field as expect, but it will ALSO clobber the Release Time and Orig Year fields.  Release Time ID3 gets completely removed.  Orig Year ID3 is truncated to just YYYY.  This effectively strips the release date data from the MP3 ID3 tags.  It's not gone from Rekordbox, however, unless you do a Reload Tag.  If you do that, it's gone forever.

Can someone look into this behavior?  Rekordbox should not be modifying or deleting ID3 tags unrelated to actual changes made by the user.

Thanks!

Jon

Please sign in to leave a comment.

11 comments

I've also stumbled across this bug. I can also confirm that it clobbers the DATE and ORIGYEAR fields too. Most of my tracks has the release date made out the above values, however when I add a custom tag to say "Mix Name" in rekordbox it wipes the DATE, ORIGYEAR and RELEASETIME tags. It also resets/truncates the YEAR tag to just the year. Would appreciate a fix to this as currently it deters me from using rekordbox to update any metadata for tracks...which sucks.

Ruan 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Thanks for confirming this, Ruan.  Actually glad to know it seems to be a consistent error and not something specific to me.  I checked and you're right that it also changes other ID3 fields.  In total, DATE, ORIGYEAR, RELEASETIME, and YEAR are all modified or removed.  I've been using Mp3Tag to map the proper release date into the COPYRIGHT field before importing to Rekordbox - Rekordbox doesn't seem to touch that field - so that I don't lose the info when Rekordbox clobbers it.  I can always use Mp3Tag to map it back onto the proper field if I need to.

Jon 0 votes

So just to give an update, I think I found a solution to this issue. I added a new field for tags in MP3tag using RELEASETIME (If using the columns it uses %releasetime%). The format has to be YYYY-MM-DD, after entering all the release dates for my tracks open rekordbox. Here's the catch, the data won't show up yet and making a change to a track changed in MP3Tag will nuke the dates again. To get it showing/working in rekordbox, right click the track (or all tracks) and then select "Reload Tags" first. This loads all the dates into rekordbox and then you can add custom data (like mix name) and the date remains!! 

Hope this helps whoever else has this issue!

Ruan 0 votes

Nope, spoke too soon. Rekordbox will load the dates with above method, however any change and it nukes the dates again. Weird thing is it'll remain in the view in rekordbox until you do another Reload Tags, then any tracks that had a property changed will display the removed dates again :(

Really hope Pioneer will look to fix this!

Ruan 0 votes

I was just about to respond back - I checked again based on your instructions and same thing.  You are right @Ruan - Rekordbox keeps the data if you don't reload tags, but it is gone from the ID3 regardless.  I was able to salvage a lot of the dates in my own collection that way thankfully - and now I store them in the Copyright ID3 field since Rekordbox doesn't seem to clobber that field.

Jon 0 votes

Any solution yet? I add metadata in a prog. called 'Tag and rename'. I'm not using all the fiels, but inside the database of RB the YEAR date is completely different. I have no clue about where the altered year is coming from.. 

Bartokai 0 votes

@Barokai > Which "year" tag are you using? There are a couple.

Pulse 0 votes

Hi @Pulse - very glad you have jumped in to this thread finally.  Any thoughts on the original issue I reported?  Seems to be pretty easily replicated.  Let me know if you need more details.

Jon 0 votes

@Pulse - I have seen that document, but thanks for providing the link again.  I guess the bug is that Rekordbox is in fact writing the following ID3 fields:  RELEASETIME, ORIGYEAR, DATE.  Those fields are not documented as being written by Rekordbox in the document you provided.  Further, Rekordbox is deleting or modifying these fields when an entirely unrelated ID3 field is amodified (such as COMMENT or ARTIST or TITLE).  Does this make sense?

Jon 0 votes

@Pulse Not sure how to determine the one that was faulty/incompatible with RekordBox... Switched to Kid3 because seems to pick the right one for RB. How could I have known there a different YEAR/DATE fileds? A bit confusing.. 

Thanks for the matrix! 

BTW: Will "ISRC" be added and get a read/write status soon? And maybe a database-tool to look up this tag using "Track Title" and "Artist"

Bartokai 0 votes