Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

6 followers Follow

I'm going to stay on Rekordbox 5

I recently got a new desktop pre-built by NZXT:

AMD Ryzen 3700x
NVIDIA GeeForce RTX 2080 Super 6GB
1TB Western Digital SSD

This was right when Rekordbox 6 was released and I decided to give it a try. I transferred my library from my laptop to my new desktop PC using a USB drive and everything came over fairly smoothly with all my cue points, hot cues, and beat grids intact, but Rekordbox 6.0.0 ran so slow when it came to scrolling and loading tracks in export mode. I used no external hard drives and everything is installed on my onboard SSD.

I wanted to give the new version a chance but after 2 months of using it now, I'm just really frustrated by what feels like laggy performance. I decided to install 5.8.5 and uninstall 6.0.2 and WOW everything runs so much smoother. I'm going to stay with 5 for a while to be honest.

I'm assuming 6.0 is running a lot of background stuff and I could have probably disabled or optimized better (I had auto lyric data on), but honestly a program should run smoothly regardless of these extra features that the new generation is bringing. I understand things take time to optimize and right now we're in a very tumultuous time with the pandemic and civil unrest and all, so I wish the developing team the best of luck in getting things smoother. Honestly, I'm not troubled by all the cloud tech that you're implementing, just please make it seamless and smooth. This computer is brand freaking new and everything but Rekordbox 6.0 runs so well to the point where I don't even want to open Rekordbox sometimes to put together a set or add to my music library.

I personally will stick with the old version for the foreseeable future. I'm not really looking for a solution here because I've found my personal fix and I just wanted to give my feedback to anyone at Pioneer who may be listening.

Thanks for reading.

shingük Answered

Official comment

AMD processors are not supported, so that could certainly be why you ran into issues.

Pulse
Comment actions Permalink

Post is closed for comments.

6 comments

You're absolutely right.
I've done the same honor!
It's very frustrating that things are going so slowly.
You got a $3,000 computer and the software is not running smoothly!

DJ MADNESS 0 votes

rekordbox 6 is a total failure regarding its incomparable performance with version 5.8.5. In addition to that we have to pay a monthly fee, and our investment in equipment and licenses totally denigrated.

Jesus cano 0 votes

same here. rb5 runs smoother than 6. it was a pita to get back to rb5 from 6. with the loss of some playlists.
i'm staying on 5 until there is some performance improvements, amd support, xml export support and OTHER CLOUD support. other than just Dropbox like i host my own cloud at my nas at home.

DJCannonball 0 votes

I have noticed many complaints regarding moving from Version 5 to Version 6. It really is terrifying to me to even try to upgrade at this point. I am still on version 5 because if I lose my work, it would be devastating. I have literally spent years setting ratings and hot cues and memory cues and playlists for over 23,000 songs (I have over 40,000 tracks in my library, I will never try to rate and hot cue them all). I understand there might be a few hiccups with updates, but I can't take the chances on running into the issues I have seen others face here. Why would we want to use a software that runs slower and demands so much more from the machine it's running on? Or even take the chance on losing our hard work? And why does it literally take days (in some cases) to convert a library? That seems unreasonable.

Pioneer, please always remember, There are many people that rely on the hardware AND the software to be efficient and responsive. We are not software testers. Because many of us use your product to make a living, it HAS to work, and work efficiently. Otherwise, it is holding us back and becoming a time waster. If you give us a new version of software that you are calling "official", It should be at least as efficient and reliable as the previous version. I feel Rekordbox has become a problem for many professionals, not a solution.

As far as the intel processor vs AMD processor issue goes. It sounds like the OP on this thread has proven that Rekordbox can run efficiently on AMD processors. Since they state that version 5 "runs so much smoother". Add to this that AMD's new processors can out perform Intel on many tasks (I use an Core i7-7700K processor, so I am not trying to pick favorites, Just stating fact). Maybe the engineers should consider AMD as a supported processor.

At this point I am optimistic that things will get better, but I am disappointed lately.

DJ KennyD 0 votes

Thank you all for your comments.

rekordbox 6 is certainly more system-intensive than 5, but does offer more features.

If you want to check out rekordbox 6 but aren't sure you'll like it, you can make a backup of your database (which you should be doing anyhow) and you can always go back and restore if anything adverse occurs (which it shouldn't, as the database for v6 is new).

As for AMD, while it may work smoothly on those CPUs, they're not officially supported as our engineers are aware of some potential issues with the audio processing, so to avoid saying "Yes, they're supported" and then receive complaints, it's better for us to take the cautious approach. This may change over time, especially since the Zen2 architecture has proven more stable, but for the time being, it's not supported so we can't provide any assistance for those users.

Pulse 0 votes