Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publicación

3 seguidores Seguir

Managing Rekordbox Library with iTunes

Hi,

I am really struggling with how best to set up/manage my rekordbox library

I was previously using the rekordbox 'framework' mode to view itunes playlists directly in Rekordbox. I made all cue points directly there, and then uploaded these to my USB.

I recently KO'd my laptop with miso soup and whilst I did have a full backup of the HDD, I wasn't able to find a way of restoring my library as I didn't have a specific backup of the library file.

I've been able to re import songs and cue points from a recent USB upload, so no problem there.

.. however..

My cue points are now in the Rekordbox library rather than in itunes. My question is - how should I organise my library so that cue points are all safe and able to be backed up?

- If I redo them all in the itunes playlists in rekordbox, I don't think there's a way of backing up the cue points as part of the itunes structure

- If I use rekordbox library for cue points and backup either with ZIP or in the cloud, I can't use itunes for management as if I update a playlist in itunes, then re import it to rekordbox, it will erase the cue points if they are not in the itunes list.

Maybe I'm missing something but what is the workaround? I want to manage my library in itunes, and create and backup cue points in rekordbox.

Thanks!

Hugo Robson

Iniciar sesión para dejar un comentario.

18 comentarios

Your cue points were never in iTunes; rekordbox stores that data locally, not on the song, and not in the Music library. So long as you have a backup of your rekordbox library you have a backup of those cue points and anything else you do with the library.

Pulse 0 votos
Acciones de comentarios Permalink

Ah I see. So if I do a backup of the library, either manually or in the cloud, upon restore, will it also mirror the itunes structure, with cue points? Assuming the itunes library is also restored, with the same file paths etc.?

Hugo Robson 0 votos

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand "mirror the iTunes structure" ??

When a song is imported to rekordbox, whether directly or through the iTunes / Music sync, the contents are managed within rekordbox. Unless you're using the Sync Manager to have changes to playlists copied back to Music, everything is still within rekordbox.

If you only had the backup of rekordbox and nuked your computer, it would not restore Music.

Pulse 0 votos

But I created the cue points in the itunes folder in the browse bar on the left. These cue points are then not reflected in the rekordbox library?

Hugo Robson 0 votos

You can only do that to songs which have been imported to rekordbox, meaning the song has already been analysed. Even if you're browsing the songs through playlists under the iTunes portion of the tree, that information (hot cues, song grid, My Tags, etc.) are all recorded to the rekordbox database for that particular song.

Pulse 0 votos

So if I've analysed the songs through the itunes folder in the browser bar on the left, then created cue points, they will automatically be in my rekordbox library? Or will I need to import these playlists then into my collection?

If I then restore from a backup, where will those songs appear?

Hugo Robson 0 votos

Correct - any song you do anything with in rekordbox from any source will be added to the collection, but note that this is only a reference to the song, and not the song itself. If you do not also backup the music, those songs are not part of that restoration.

Pulse 0 votos

Ok. But then one thing - if I nuke my computer and then restore from a backup, I will have all those songs in my collection, with cue points, right?

So then what happens if I restore my itunes library as well, and the view this newly restored library using 'framework?' I will have duplicates of the songs, one in my collection and one being viewed from itunes, which I then can't import anymore as Rekordbox will see this as a new file?

Hugo Robson 0 votos

Because each song as a UID to index it, it should match when it has to "reconnect" to rekordbox (I say that in quotes because rekordbox would already be looking for it at that specific location, and if you're basically restoring what Music already had, it would be the same UID anyhow so it matches them up). I have never done it myself, but I would expect that it would work no differently than restoring the library and music files outside of the scope of Music / iTunes. It would not be a new file, and no duplicates would be created.

Pulse 0 votos

Ok I see, so does this rely on me backing up up the Rekordbox library without the actual music files, so it still sources the files from the itunes folder?

Hugo Robson 0 votos

Correct - rekordbox is only indexing the files, it doesn't copy the music.

Pulse 0 votos

Ok, but there is an option to backup with the files, right? So I need to avoid this option if I wan't to keep the itunes sync working with cue points upon restore?

Hugo Robson 0 votos

If the music comes from iTunes through the framework, I'd recommend you use the Time Machine or manual backup to maintain that rather than including it as part of the rekordbox backup.

Pulse 0 votos

Ok, but you're saying if I've done rekordbox backup and restored itunes through whatever means, rekordbox should sync back up to itunes with cue points? That's really what I'm after here

Hugo Robson 0 votos

Sorry for all the questions, this has been plaguing me!

Hugo Robson 0 votos

Again, the cue points aren't stored in iTunes, so yes - you'd still have that data.

Pulse 0 votos