Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publicación

6 seguidores Seguir

Rekordbox Unbearably Slow - Especially Deleting and Exporting

Hello all,

I like Rekordbox, I think it's a great piece of software for putting a set together, I've been using it for around 6 months now. 

My setup at home includes two Pioneer XDJ-700s, I have several USB 3.0 Kingston memory sticks which I export music onto from Rekordbox, if I want to practise a particular genre I may transfer 300-400 tracks to a single playlist. Each time I do this it can take around an hour (if not longer) to export... even when I export a playlist containing 15 tracks it can take the same amount of time it takes to burn a CD.

Even deleting files seems to take an age, for example I've gone to delete a playlist containing 339 tracks, it's been running for over 15 minutes and it's only managed to delete 75 (22%) of the tracks...!!!

I have a gaming computer running Windows 10 Pro, an intel i7 6700k CPU @ 4.0ghz and 16gb of RAM. I'm convinced it's not a hardware issue since when I'm running Rekordbox I never exceed more than 10% CPU of 5gb of RAM. I connect my memory stick to a USB 3.0 port on the back of my computer.

I'm running the most recent version of Rekordbox (4.5.0)

Am I missing something?

Does the USB stick need to be formatted in FAT32 or NTFS? 

Do I need to purchase a faster USB stick?

Is there something I can do to speed it up?

Many thanks in advance.

Jack

Am I missing 

Jack Gorman

Iniciar sesión para dejar un comentario.

11 comentarios

@Jack > 99% of the time, these speed issues come down to the read/write capabilities of the USB drives in use. Can you tell me which model of Kingston drives you're using so I can look up their real-world speed results?

Pulse 0 votos
Acciones de comentarios Permalink

Hello, thanks for your fast response! I've got to be honest.. the model name/number has rubbed off the USB stick, which indicates it's fairly old...!!!

Is there one you could recommend to me which would work well with Rekordbox? I'd be really grateful.

Thank you SO much!!

Jack Gorman 0 votos

Personally, the only two drives I recommend are the Corsair Flash Voyager GTX (NEVER their Survivor model!), or the SanDisk Extreme Pro 3.1. Both of these drives employ SSD host chipsets to manage the memory and data transfers, providing amazing read/write performance for large and small files.

Pulse 0 votos

I really don't understand why there should be export slowness (e.g. >= 5 mins to export 3 playlists - total 1.2Gb) from Rekordbox of playlists when copying the files that make up those playlists within Finder in OSX takes onto the same destination USB from the same source drive less than 30 seconds. What else is Rekordbox doing? 

Your reasoning that it's the drive hardware sounds fishy to me.

You surely can't blame the drive hardware when other software that copies files works noticeably faster, can you? For the record, my source drive is an external USB3.0 magnetic drive and the destination is a Sandisk Ultra 3.0 drive.

Chris Spiking 0 votos

@Chris > Because when you are exporting those playlists AS FILES, chances are you're only copying the audio data itself. Where the transfer speed takes a hit with most low-grade USB drives is rekordbox also writes several small files for each track (waveform data, hotcue and memory point data, and album artwork), and small files are the achilles heel of low-quality drives. The transfer speed dives into the dirt and then it takes forever.

Pulse 0 votos

Oh come on. Not 5 hours with a USB3 drive to transfer 27gb of music. My USB drive is a Corsair Flash voyager Slider X1 and it is taking ages to transfer. Surely you can shed some light on this issue. 

Chris Farrugia 0 votos

@Chris > That drive has abysmal 4K write speeds... like around 1MB/s reported by users, and rekordbox needs to write a whole heap of small files for the album artwork and waveform data.

If you like Corsair, the only drive from them I recommend is the GTX.

Pulse 0 votos

Which is better from the two you told above? And which is the maximum capacity a cdj can read?

Paulo Nupi 0 votos

I've yet to run into a maximum readable capacity; it would really have more to do with the capacity of the format (eg. FAT32). Realistically, the larger your library, the slower it will respond due to caching of the database.

I've had good experiences with both (but I've only tested the SanDisk 3.0 model, not the 3.1, but other users have said it's good).

Pulse 0 votos

Thank Mr.Pioneer.

But as those pen drives have different capacities (and of course that larger the library longer the time it takes to read), my question was more like: Do cdi have a limit reading large drives?

Paulo Nupi 0 votos

@Rodrigo > As noted earlier, the problem isn't rekordbox but the write speed of your drive. I can export multiple GB's of music to an SSD in a matter of minutes, but with a slow USB3 drive, it can take hours just to export a few hundred MB.

Pulse 0 votos